Morrowind PC Newbie. Help!

YingJanshi

Ok I play Morrowind a long time ago on my XBox and loved it (Still think its better than Oblivion). Anyway I bought the Game of the Year edition the other day and installed it. I found a few mods that I wanted to play but I keep getting error messages. Most of them are something like these (all of these are from the Children of Morrowind mod):

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\em_rockinghorse2.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\em_rockinghorse2.NIF.
Will use the default object Marker_Error.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\em_tk_Sandbox2.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\em_tk_Sandbox2.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\mel_playgr5.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\mel_playgr5.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\1em_child_de_115n.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\1em_child_de_115n.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\1em_child_DEh115a.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\1em_child_DEh115a.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\rt_skinc_de_UT.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\rt\rt_skinc_de_UT.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\rt_Shorts_b.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\rt\rt_Shorts_b.NIF.
Will use the default Marker_Error.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\WAR_COM_THEM3.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\WAR_COM_THEM3.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\LR_FHair08MWave2_HEyel2b.NIF cannot load fine in Meshes\rt\LR_FHair08MWave2_HEyel2b.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\rt_skinc_he_UM.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\rt\rt_skinc_he_UM.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\rtbc_sh_c_01_M.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\rt\rtbc_sh_c_01_M.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\RT_T_Pants1_M.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\rt\RT_T_Pants1_M.NIF.

Model Load Error: Meshes\rt\rt_shoes_MWcom5.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\rt\rt_shoes_MWcom5.NIF.
Will use the default object Marker_Error.NIF

Model Load Error: Meshes\Em_kids\1em_child_we_115a.NIF cannot load file in Meshes\Em_kids\1em_child_we_115a.NIF.

I also got a simular one when I tried to play with the Bitter Coast Sounds expansion. I thought all I had to do was unzip them into my Data Files folder. Is there more?

Read the readme for each mod and make sure that the everything installed according to the readme. A quick glance tells me that CoM isn't installed correctly and is missing vital meshes. Sounds of Morrowind likely has an similar but different problem. Always read the readmes and follow their instruction.

There's simple answer to your problem - I;ve had this before so I know the answer.

What I tend to do is use the afternoon to make a mod, then in the evening i actually play the game. However there is a drawback. Quite simply as you use various files [especially the zip files] they tend to degrade.

The simple answer is one I was scratching my head over until I asked for help. The person who replied suggested I use this particular defrag programme. It is Defrag 2, free and fast. Use it either before you play the game or after you have been making a mod. In either case I suggest using a really good defrag programme at least once a week ( use Diskeeper).

With either programme you can select the disk(s) you wish to defrag - or even files!