Is the Dragonborn actually Tiber Septim?

PharmakosChroster

You know, a thought just occured to me. We learn in Oblivion that the Nerevarine leaves Morrowind and disappears. We hear nothing after that. The Nerevarine is the embodiment of the people of Morrowind. Here, in Skyrim, we have what may be the reincarnation of Tiber Septim - the embodiment of both Skyrim and the Empire. Given the violent history between the Empire and Morrowind (and Skyrim and the elves for that matter), could Bethesda be setting up a sequel in which the Nerevarine and the Dovahkiin are on opposite sides of a battle for the future of Tamriel, and the player is forced to choose between them, the same way the player chooses between Stormcloaks and Imperials in Skyrim?

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, it suddenly seems suspicious that the power behind the Aldmeri Dominion is kept deliberately vague. In Oblivion we learn two things: the Nerevarine has left Morrowind for parts unknown, and that there is unrest in the Summerset Isles. Could the two be connected? Is the power behind the Aldmeri actually the Nerevarine working to destroy the Empire? Seems plausible, and a good contender for the location and plotline of the next Elder Scrolls game, the Dovahkiin and the Empire VS the Nerevarine and the Aldmeri in the Summerset Isles.

Most of my Morrowind characters where pro-Empire, and would never side with the Aldmeri Dominion. Since it is up to the player to decide how the character is and their beliefs, I doubt Bethesda would ever do anything that would say what your previous character choose to do. If it did come to that where the outcome of the Morrowind is set in stone by Bethesda, they would probably do the same thing they did with Daggerfall where (almost) all the endings happened/didn't happen all at once.

As for the Dragonborn being Tiber Septim, I say no. We already know that Tiber Septim visits Tamriel and interacts with heroes (Wulf), so it seems very unlikely that he would reincarnate himself when he could just show up. I agree with the other people who have pointed out that the ghost probably just recognized that you are dragonborn like Tiber Septim was.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, a thought just occured to me. We learn in Oblivion that the Nerevarine leaves Morrowind and disappears. We hear nothing after that. The Nerevarine is the embodiment of the people of Morrowind. Here, in Skyrim, we have what may be the reincarnation of Tiber Septim - the embodiment of both Skyrim and the Empire. Given the violent history between the Empire and Morrowind (and Skyrim and the elves for that matter), could Bethesda be setting up a sequel in which the Nerevarine and the Dovahkiin are on opposite sides of a battle for the future of Tamriel, and the player is forced to choose between them, the same way the player chooses between Stormcloaks and Imperials in Skyrim?

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, it suddenly seems suspicious that the power behind the Aldmeri Dominion is kept deliberately vague. In Oblivion we learn two things: the Nerevarine has left Morrowind for parts unknown, and that there is unrest in the Summerset Isles. Could the two be connected? Is the power behind the Aldmeri actually the Nerevarine working to destroy the Empire? Seems plausible, and a good contender for the location and plotline of the next Elder Scrolls game, the Dovahkiin and the Empire VS the Nerevarine and the Aldmeri in the Summerset Isles.

Most of my Morrowind characters where pro-Empire, and would never side with the Aldmeri Dominion. Since it is up to the player to decide how the character is and their beliefs, I doubt Bethesda would ever do anything that would say what your previous character choose to do. If it did come to that where the outcome of the Morrowind is set in stone by Bethesda, they would probably do the same thing they did with Daggerfall where (almost) all the endings happened/didn't happen all at once.

As for the Dragonborn being Tiber Septim, I say no. We already know that Tiber Septim visits Tamriel and interacts with heroes (Wulf), so it seems very unlikely that he would reincarnate himself when he could just show up. I agree with the other people who have pointed out that the ghost probably just recognized that you are dragonborn like Tiber Septim was.

Interesting.

While it did seem nonsense at first, there may be some merit to this. While I don't believe Bethesda will do this (seriously, you expect them to do something this grand?) I can understand where you are coming from.

While yes, many Morrowind players (including myself) were pro Empire (and in some, that love doesn't die easily), I can recall the prophecy implying that the Nerevarine was going to defeat Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal, and rid Morrowind of the Empire. the point about freeing Morrowind may have just been interpretation of the term 'freedom', but there is some merit to this.

However, the Nerevarine was a Dunmer hero, not an Altmer one. The Dunmer severed ties with the Altmer in their exodus, and even now, the Dunmer have no love for the Thalmor.

Interesting.

While it did seem nonsense at first, there may be some merit to this. While I don't believe Bethesda will do this (seriously, you expect them to do something this grand?) I can understand where you are coming from.

While yes, many Morrowind players (including myself) were pro Empire (and in some, that love doesn't die easily), I can recall the prophecy implying that the Nerevarine was going to defeat Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal, and rid Morrowind of the Empire. the point about freeing Morrowind may have just been interpretation of the term 'freedom', but there is some merit to this.

However, the Nerevarine was a Dunmer hero, not an Altmer one. The Dunmer severed ties with the Altmer in their exodus, and even now, the Dunmer have no love for the Thalmor.

Thank you. You said what I was trying to get at, but in a much clearer fashion.

The Dunmer didn't become the Dunmer until the Tribunal messed with Lorkhan's Heart to become gods, long after Nerevar was dead. Nerevar himself would see himself as an ethnic Altmer. I think it would be entirely within character for the Nerevarine to try to unite all the mer against the human-run Empire. And if it is the Nerevarine behind the throne of the Aldmeri Dominion, he wouldn't necessarily have total control over everything. So he could be manipulating the Aldmeri from the shadows without necessarily approving of or even knowing about the Thalmor Waffen Elf-Elf Corps.

Er, Nerevar would see himself as a Chimer, not an Altmer. There's a reason they went on that exodus.

The Nerevarine prophecy is over with. Nerevar is gone and had nothing to do with the AD. When the AD was rising to power, Nerevarine was in Akavir. The CoC would be more likely than the Nerevarine. And even then you'll never see or have a player character as part of a story as anything other than the protagonist. The OP shows a lack of knowledge on ES lore.

Edited by Enatiomorph

Er, Nerevar would see himself as a Chimer, not an Altmer. There's a reason they went on that exodus.

The situation (probably intentionally) parallels the Jewish exodus. Sephardic Jews still regard themselves as Jews, even though they may have lived in Africa for a thousand years. "Altmer," like "Jew," has ethnic as well as cultural and religious meaning.

The OP shows a lack of knowledge on ES lore.

Do you really have to be so dismissive in every response? It's entirely possible to disagree with you and not be a blithering idiot. I know video games are SRS BIDNIZZ, but not every disagreement over fictional mythology has to be a bare-knuckle battle to the death.

The Dunmer didn't become the Dunmer until the Tribunal messed with Lorkhan's Heart to become gods, long after Nerevar was dead. Nerevar himself would see himself as an ethnic Altmer. I think it would be entirely within character for the Nerevarine to try to unite all the mer against the human-run Empire. And if it is the Nerevarine behind the throne of the Aldmeri Dominion, he wouldn't necessarily have total control over everything. So he could be manipulating the Aldmeri from the shadows without necessarily approving of or even knowing about the Thalmor Waffen Elf-Elf Corps.

I was trying to simplify it.

The Nerevarine goes to Akavir. Its also noted that Tosh Raka of the Ka-Po-Tun has 'plans' for after they defeat the Tsechi (or however its spelt, the snake-folk). Maybe Nerevarine returns with the Ka-Po-Tun to take over Tamriel, which is defended by the Tiber reincarnate, Thalmor gets crushed in the middle? I actually agree with everyone else saying your not Tiber, but i thought it was a cool idea none-the-less.

Here we find the Dragonborn appearing with a unique skill which everyone keeps saying has not been seen since Tiber Septim.

Who says that? All of the emperors of the Septim dynasty, right down to Martin, were dragonborn.

They wern't Dragonborn in the 'i have the soul of a dragon' sense. It was just another term for the Septim line.

Edited by Ashlander80

The situation (probably intentionally) parallels the Jewish exodus. Sephardic Jews still regard themselves as Jews, even though they may have lived in Africa for a thousand years. "Altmer," like "Jew," has ethnic as well as cultural and religious meaning.

The OP shows a lack of knowledge on ES lore.

Do you really have to be so dismissive in every response? It's entirely possible to disagree with you and not be a blithering idiot. I know video games are SRS BIDNIZZ, but not every disagreement over fictional mythology has to be a bare-knuckle battle to the death.

No, Chimer were Chimer, not Altmer. Two different races. All elves come from Aldmer, but they are still different races. Indoril saw himself as Chimer, not Altmer.

If the shoe fits, what else is there to say? We know where the N went, and we know how the AD/Thalmor rose to power. We also know that we'll never see a player character as some set in stone race/sex/build, nor will they ever be part of an overall main quest (outside of their own). Nerevar is done with.

Edited by Enatiomorph