Would the Dragonborn be immortal?

Ashlander80

Ignoring for a moment those Dovakiin who are vampires and what not, I would say there's a case to be made for this specific dovakiin to be immortal in the sense of he (assumably) disappears into Apocrypha after defeating Miraak. Much the same as the CoC disappears into the Shivering Isles after that story line.

• 2 months later...

The Dragonborn, like many other prophesy heroes are immortal barring injury (The Nerevar and Champ of Cyrodiil for a time until Uncle Sheo). In which case they are not really Immortal. Cut them enough though, and they die just the same.

The Dragonborn, like many other prophesy heroes are immortal barring injury (The Nerevar and Champ of Cyrodiil for a time until Uncle Sheo). In which case they are not really Immortal. Cut them enough though, and they die just the same.

Using that logic, vampires and zombies and draugr are not really immortal. Also, I would put forward the Champ of Cyrodiil is immortal because Uncle Sheo. Presumably, the CoC is much to young at the time of the oblivion crises for any other type of immortality, other than 'prevent me from having an accident' to be of much use.

Using that logic, vampires and zombies and draugr are not really immortal. Also, I would put forward the Champ of Cyrodiil is immortal because Uncle Sheo. Presumably, the CoC is much to young at the time of the oblivion crises for any other type of immortality, other than 'prevent me from having an accident' to be of much use.

You can kill both vampires and draugur and all manner of undead and they cease to be. So no, they aren't really immortal = invincible. If you consider immortality = living long and eternal life if noone drives a stake through my chest or burns me. Then yeah, they are "immortal". As far as TES goes, it is an immortality of a sort, much like Becoming a Lich, etc...

And yes, The Champ is immortal because of Sheo. I can see I wasn't clear, but that is what I implied. Also, about the very last part...that is also what I implied about the CoC, lol.

Oh, and lastly, can you tell me now in the 4th era, where does the CoC begins and where does Sheo end? No, which is why I worded it that way. He stopped being CoC, and is Sheogorath completely for all intents and purposes.

Frankly, I didn't think I had to expand on the Champ...

• 1 year later...

Mortality is an odd concept in Scrolls. A mortal on Tamriel is someone who's AE , his soul, is not significant enough to make impact in the Aurbis. As the Dragonborn has both the soul of a Dragon, and a subsoul of Lorkhan, he's very significant. His AE, has a lot of weight behind it, more so with every dragon soul - their AE - he grows more important, a larger part of Aka, the Dragon Made Whole.

But what this really means, is that no, the Dragonborn is not immortal in the common sense. His body can die, and will die - but his AE will remain and he will be more independent post mortem then regular mortals, who will be take under the domain of one afterlife or the other.

That is, if you didn't sell your soul to all 15 Deadric Princes...

• 2 weeks later...

Immortal simply means won't die from old age & as far as I believe any Daedra Prince can bestow this ability whether or not your still consider human after the fact remains to be seen just like Vampirism or Miraak, A divine may also certainly have this power to extend mortal life, by whatever means used to achieve this anyone can be considered immortal now as far as Dragons innately having this ability I'd say not but its much more likely they could indeed gain a shout of immortally somewhere somehow so by that standard every Dragonborn has the potential be immortal be right of blood.

• 1 year later...

The info in this thread is outdated. Check the wikis and you will see Dragons are immortal by way of magic. Their physical forms can be destroyed (by no means an easy task), but their soul endures. The only way a dragon soul can be utterly destroyed is by being absorbed by another dragon soul. This wouldn't be an issue if the lore was left at Dragonborn being "blessed" by the blood of the dragon, or having dragon blood running through their veins. Such would allow them to use the thu'ume intuitively, but nothing more. The problem comes when TES5 clearly states The Last Dragonborn has the soul of a dragon. This is what breaks everything, given the abilities of dragons are ultimately tied to the magic of their souls. If the dragonborn has the soul of a dragon, and can absorb dragons, he should effectively be as immortal as dragons themselves. This isn't speculation or interpretation, but mere mechanics. Methinks Bethesda just didn't bother to address said inconsistency.