Skyrim lag and a sudden FPS drop.

Deleted4404112User

First off I do use a lot of mods but I don't think they're causing the issue. The issue I'm having is that all of a sudden when I loaded up one of my save games that was saved in the moonpath it started to lag and have a huge fps drop. So I tried starting a new game and I still had the problem. Then I waited till this morning and loaded up my new game save and I had no problems at all but I tried to open the moonpath game save and then it all started happening again for all of my saves. I've tried running on low quality and that still doesn't work but maybe it has something to do with the moonpath.

I would check to see how big your save game file's are, if there over 30 MB then you have a problem. very large save game's will cause massive lagging stuttering and CTD's.

The best way to fix the problem would be to remove any large mod's that adversely change skyrim or that add's massive amount of content. unfortunately if that does not work you may have to start a new game or do a complete re-install of skyrim.

Edited by gagoloth

• 6 months later...
I've such problems too , but mods in my opinion if they don't exceed over 255 plugins , skyrim won't lag. I have a large mod that goes over 100mb , but my skyrim didn't even lag a little bit . But when i started my comp today , it practically spiked.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have this same issue. Skyrim runs fine for about 10 minutes, then I notice lag, looking around the FPS drops, stutters, and sometimes goes away when I look in another direction, then lags and stutters. On an AMD "Bulldozer" rig it shouldn't lag like this, this rig far exceeds the recommended requirements. Skyrim lags at every setting other than low, something I would expect from my old laptop, but not this rig.

System specifications:

Skyrim version 1.8, (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn)

AMD FX-8150 8 core processor @ 3.61ghz (7.7 score in Windows 7)

16gb G.Skill Sniper DDR32133/PC3-17000 RAM (7.7 score in Windows 7)

nVidia geForce GTX 560TI (True nVidia card) (7.8 score in Windows 7)

Windows 7 Ultimate X64

ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard

Corsair H100 water cooling system (processor runs at 40-43 degrees celsius, motherboard runs at 43-45 degrees celsius while playing Skyrim)

nVidia/Realtek High Definition on board audio

OS and game hard disks run at 7200rpm (5.9 score in Windows 7)

Additional components:

Logitech G19 keyboard

Logitech G9 (Generation 1) mouse

HP 22" LCD panel

ROG Connect RC TweakIt (USB motherboard remote control/monitoring)

avast! Antivirus

The only other game that has issues with sudden laggy performance and a 95% FPS drop is Second Life when facing East and South on the grid. Also happening at the same time as Skyrim's performance issues.

Ok. this is realy frustraiting I just bought the game and the expac and i cant play more than 40 secs or so and i start getting huge lagg spikes while im running really bad while I am trying to kill something the vedio and sound dont match at all speach comes about 30 secs after a npc's mouth moves it makes me feel like im playing a MMORPG onine with a really bad internet conn. I have included my system specs any advice would be great currently running in low on graphics with all reflections off.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GAMING1
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio XPS 8000
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A01, 8/11/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.8 GB
Page File Space 7.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

video card currently using is the Geforce gt 630 I also have a Geforce GTX650 on standby

If you are using live antivirus/spyware stuff,turn it off while playing.Also,sometimes background optimizers cause issues,when defragging,backing up,getting updates,etc.Also,any mod that adds more to the scene,and increases viewable distance with higher quality will cause lag.Example Lush Grass,uGrids to more than 7,and HD texture packs wioth 4096 size textures when using a videocard with less than 2GB on it.

Chusha,SL is laggy anyway no matter what,lol.Also,theres a small thing to know about SL,turning threaded optimization off for it in the nvidia panel helps tons.May also help with Skyrim,I leave it off,since performance is worse with it on,I tihnk it's a bug they never fixed yet in the drivers.

Zimmy,you need to use the 650,cause the 630 is lowend card.I got 650 and it is fine,but I don't use much in the way of mods.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are some things to try;

1) download and use TESVEdit to clean your masters. You can also clean some mods. But some authors will state not doing this with their mod.

2) download and use ENBoost if you havnt already.

3) Turn off V-Sync and cap fps at 40-60 fps with ENBoost.

4) Make sure you read all info on the mods u use. Conflicts and errors will hurt performance and sometimes cause scripting and fps lag- if not CTDs.

5) Do not try to run 255 plug-ins unless you are willing to earn a BA in modding Skyrim.

6) Download and use TESVESSE to look at your save files to determine the actual load on your papyrus. A large load on the papyrus will also cause lag(ie to many things to process in 28-40 ms) You can compensate for this by adjusting papyrus settings in ini. But I would not recommend trying unless you understand what you are doing.

7) I would download and use Crash Fixes as it helps with some issues and eliminates the 65000 string limit that causes corrupt saves. It also creates a log when u crash. I think this also solves the memory block issue.

Do not adjust Timescale to less than 8 (I use 12 myself). Setting the timescale to low will screw Skyrim up!

All I can say is my computer is very low-end and doing all these things help me run at 25 fps outside and 40 fps inside with no script or fps lag ( this is with about 180 plugins - 230 total mods). Still have CTDs. But those are mod issues. :smile: