Orange Colored Sky

tokyobiohazard

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter III

The last time I saw my father, he had ordered all of the Chairmen to erase my existence. A big job was coming. Once he did everything he could with the chip he got from Courier Six, he'd come back for me.

A month passed. Then another. Tales of a courier getting into Lucky 38 began to surface. Daddy said he'd kill Courier Six... So something went wrong. the courier hit a lucky streak. I knew my daddy was dead, then, and made my way toward Vegas. My safehouse had done the trick, but I wished it hadn't.

"You just stay here and sit pretty," he told me, patting my head. "Who knows, doll? Maybe when I come back for you when the summer's over, you'll be a regular beanpole."

"Daddy," I began, raising an eyebrow, "It's always summer."

He laughed and straightened his tie, then reached in his suit pocket, producing a cigarette and an engraved lighter. "Do me a favor, baby doll. Never pick up this habit."

"You know I'd never," I replied, smiling at him.

He closed his eyes and exhaled, smoke unfurling through the air as it escaped his lungs. "You're an angel, Fanny. Gonna be a real catch when you get older."

"I'm already older, daddy." I twirled a lock of hair around my finger. "Maybe some cat out there won't mind that I'm no Vera Keyes."

Daddy placed his hands on my shoulders and turned me to face the floor-length hanging mirror on the wall. "Fanny, angel, Vera Keyes ain't got nothing on you. First off, her heart quit beatin' a long time ago. Second off, I seen her picture. You're gonna put her to shame when you grow up. Your momma was smokin', a real class act."

I looked at my pale visage in the mirror. I had grown three inches this year, and still was an inch under five feet tall. A ruffly, custom-made checkered dress to match Daddy's suit covered my thin frame. A checkered ribbon was tied in a neat bow atop my head. White locks spilled from my crown, cascading down to my knees in soft waves. Wide, red eyes started back at me through thick eyeglasses set on a pixie-like nose. A small, full-lipped mouth was set in a wry grin as I doubted his words.

Since this was before I had to fend for myself, of course, the last thing on my mind was the deadly world outside. I was more concerned with my breastless, 4'11" frame. I was stupid.

"Didn't you hear me?" Morgan asked, shaking his head. "I said I have some eyeglasses here. They'll have to do until you have more options."

I took the pair of glasses from his hand. They were of a regular design, with tinted lenses. Sliding them on my face, I noticed things actually cleared up a little.

I looked back at Morgan and smiled, then gasped. His face was nearly covered in scars of various shapes and thicknesses.

He blinked, then snapped, "Ah, right. The scars. They're just from... brawls." He nervously began to bustle from here to there, packing up his things. "You probably can't really tell that well, but the storm's letting up. A guy like me just sort of knows what to listen for, you know?"

I shook my head, my expression blank.

"Kids these days," he muttered to Loki, who wagged his tail.

"What day is it?" I blurted, then looked away.

"The nineteenth. Why?"

Blushing, I asked, "Will you please untie me?"

Morgan sighed and began to work at the ropes around my ankles, until they fell loose. He then stood me up and held me steady. "Can you walk?"

I nodded.

Hesitantly, he started pulling at the knots around my wrists, keeping his eye on the pistol on the stove. "I have to warn you, I had to do some changes to your hair. Your stitches need to stay bandaged so sand won't get back in that wound."

When my hands were finally freed, I reached into my pocket, pulling out a small, compact mirror, noticing it had been cracked since I last used it, probably when I fell. Gazing into it, I noticed Morgan had done a great job of cleaning my face off. A large white bandage wrapped around my crown tightly. It was dotted with scarlet in several places. Something was odd, however. My head felt lighter, almost as if...

My eyes slowly turned to Morgan, "You didn't."

"Oh, but I had to. You can't stitch head wounds with hair in the way. You have to shear it off."

"But I've never had a haircut before!"

"Calm down. It's not all gone," Morgan muttered, "I only shaved half your head."

"But that's even worse!" I panicked and Morgan slapped my arm.

"It's only hair, Fanny. It grows back. Your hide wouldn't have unless I stitched it together." Morgan packed up the last of his things. "Yep, this is everything. Come on, Loki."

The wolf made a submissive yip, then trotted outside as Morgan opened the door.

I blinked, then stood upright. My leather armor was ripped open on both knees, and scuffed heavily on the torso piece. Parts were even shaved away.

Curiously, I peeked into the pot of water on the stove... Bandages lay at the bottom of the cooling water. I stuck my hand in the pot and pulled them out, scalding myself a little.

The door pushed inward gently, and Morgan slowly peeked his head inside. "Daylight's wasting, Frankie." He grinned, pulling his bandana over his mouth.

Wringing out the bandages, I glared at him, "Fanny."

"Nah, you're Frankie to me." Morgan pulled the bandages from my hands and stuffed them into a small first aid kit attached to his backpack, which looked like it contained everything Morgan could ever need.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he pushed me out the door.

He closed the door behind us, and I realized we were at Wolfhorn Ranch, where a man was known to have resided. It seemed he had moved on from this place, though. I wondered why, however. Everything a person could need, aside from social interaction, was right here.

"Wolfhorn Ranch..." I whispered, then looked up at Morgan, "Do you live here?"

"Heh." he flicked the butt of the cigar he'd been smoking into the dry stalks of the crops that were growing near the shack. They slowly began to smoke, before flames started flickering around the base of a few. "If I did, you think I'd have done that?"

My lips twitched and i bit my cheek. "Guess not. But why vandalize the place?"

"The guy who lived here just... isn't on good terms with me. Let's just say that." He started walking ahead, not looking back.

Somewhere, a coyote howled. I ran to catch up with Morgan. I was already winded. This was going to be a long walk to... Wherever we were going.

I stayed up until about 8 AM this morning working on the chapter >.> I am pretty much done, but I need to add in an ending, and it'll be up soon. (I've actually been asked to hang out with someone today, so not sure if it'll be up today *hermitgirlface* )