Is anyone playing Dawnguard WITHOUT bugs/ crashing?

kevkiev

EDIT FOR ABOVE POST: Now this is weird, though I am far from complaining....I finally got to go in game and tried the Fast travel/Wait option first to fix my Dawnguard turning on me problem....not only did it correct the issue beautifully but has also corrected the minor frps drop I was having....I guess wait and see if it's corrected the 'loading' maybe too... :woot:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was re-testing a mod I used before [unlimited Rings And Amulets] and it bugged two quests for me, the moth priest was hostile at fort dawnguard before I left for the soul cairn quest and he needed beaten and then disabled and enable in console command to get him to read the elder scroll and then the soul cairn quest was able to start and I did all the side quests and main quest in the soul cairn and no option to get my soul back quest came up, Serena had soul trapped me to get into the soul cairn since I wasn't a vampire and so I returned to fort dawnguard from the soul cairn quests and the moth priest was still hostile!..

I removed Unlimited Rings And Amulets mod and well start a new game tomorrow, re-testing the levelers tower mod tomorrow to see if it works with dawnguard with no bugs!..

Edited by sinnerman69

Satorinu....do the Sneak Mods effect Dawnguard if you don't become a Vamp Lord?

Whats happening in my game:

1/ I was doing mostly fine with the Dawnguard DLC until I left the Soul Cairn (my Dovahkin did not choose the vampire option)....the first sign of trouble was directly after the Soul Cairn, he tried to collect a Dawnguard recruit and the recruit attacked him...so fast travelled to Fort Dawnguard after escaping the recruit (did not kill him or harm him in any way) and all the Dawnguard attacked my Dovahkin when he entered there Fort. // Answer: I honestly don't know :( I haven't sided with the Dawnguard at all, and I haven't continued anywhere in the Vampire main quest yet beyond becoming a VL. I only know with any certainty that sneak related mods affect the VL's tutorial, due to three NPC's not liking the player in the castle. Beyond that, theres no promises; though the best bet I could offer is the two things I've heard that might be related and that's

1.) Keep a backup save of before that recruit attacked, you may very well need it when a fix comes out, or experiment to see if you can change the result. Even if that means temporarily but properly disabling all your mods for the duration of the quest to see if that resolves it.

2.) Leave the dawnguard castle for a bit, wait for 48 hours or so and try to go back; hopefully they won't attack.

2/ Since I loaded Dawnguard in, my ability to start my game has been very temperamental....When I click on 'Continue' the game CTD's, but found I could get into the game using the 'Load' option instead...but sometimes it reverses itself and the complete opposite happens...I am concerned that eventually this bug is going to crash my game altogether. // Answer: Have you checked your save file's sizes? Sounds a lot like the issues you come across when you have save bloating <.< if not that I have no idea; but that is a huge problem and to my knowledge no fix yet.

3/ I have had a frps drop...nothing major, but noticed. // Answer: Another symptom of save bloating. (or adding in new mods, but sounds like you haven't and have only removed mods - which I'll hope you uninstalled as each mod asks you to or that might be the cause of issues instead of dawnguard; but dawnguard itself is rumored to cause these problems too; I haven't been affected by this yet; but a lot have.)

Best of luck :( Wish I could have been of more help, but if you do end up coming across a solution PM me with the fix so I can add it to the ever growing list ;3

I should have read this page before posting about something on the page before xD Doh! Congrats on the fix rofl.

Edited by Satorinu

Snip

am wondering myself if Dawnguard is just too much of a mod clashing headache to continue with...

Dawnguard is certainly a mod clashing headache, the Vampire/Dawnguard's main quests may or may not be unstable with my current build as I stopped doing them after becoming a VL - but with the patches in my signature (and turning off any sneak related mods such as Duel - Combat Realism or using a invisability spell such as the one given by better vampire's by bre during your first VL transformation in the tutorial) I've been able to go around Skyrim itself enjoying the DLC's additions glitch free; well, the crossbow & VL powers I mean - avoiding the quests for now just to relax.

40 mods and loving it! =D

The only mods to avoid until compatible seem to be Custom Races + dD Enhanced Blood + Sneak/Detection changing mods (or use workaround/turn off before VL tutorial)

It's not bad at all, though some mods may randomly break things.. supposedly a 'glowing books' mod broke unrelenting force.. I don't .. my head.. even.. ow..owwww... *huff*

Satorinu....do the Sneak Mods effect Dawnguard if you don't become a Vamp Lord?.....I was siding with the Dawnguard (am a Werewolf and don't have any interest myself in playing a Vamp)...I do use two Sneak Mods....'Sneak Tools' and 'Assassins Pack'....the Sneak Tools allows my Dovahkin to have the option of 'Slit Throat' if he successfully sneaks up behind an NPC with his blade drawn...(is very awesome.... :happy: ....) and Assassins Pack adds some minor but rather effective buffs to some of the Perk Trees....I have shed a number of mods for Dawnguard, but those I have left are Mods I would certainly rather keep and do away with Dawnguard instead.

1/ I was doing mostly fine with the Dawnguard DLC until I left the Soul Cairn (my Dovahkin did not choose the vampire option)....the first sign of trouble was directly after the Soul Cairn, he tried to collect a Dawnguard recruit and the recruit attacked him...so fast travelled to Fort Dawnguard after escaping the recruit (did not kill him or harm him in any way) and all the Dawnguard attacked my Dovahkin when he entered there Fort.

2/ Since I loaded Dawnguard in, my ability to start my game has been very temperamental....When I click on 'Continue' the game CTD's, but found I could get into the game using the 'Load' option instead...but sometimes it reverses itself and the complete opposite happens...I am concerned that eventually this bug is going to crash my game altogether.

3/ I have had a frps drop...nothing major, but noticed.

I have looked at you spoiler (thank you for that Satorinu....very much appreciated) and have received the same information elsewhere in regards to the Dawnguard turning on my Dovahkin...but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, am hoping to do so today.

If you have even the smallest bounty in Riften the entire Dawnguard will attack on sight. That might be the problem outlined in 1 not something to do with Mods.

Satorinu....do the Sneak Mods effect Dawnguard if you don't become a Vamp Lord?

1/ I was doing mostly fine with the Dawnguard DLC until I left the Soul Cairn (my Dovahkin did not choose the vampire option)....the first sign of trouble was directly after the Soul Cairn, he tried to collect a Dawnguard recruit and the recruit attacked him...so fast travelled to Fort Dawnguard after escaping the recruit (did not kill him or harm him in any way) and all the Dawnguard attacked my Dovahkin when he entered there Fort. // Answer: I honestly don't know :( I haven't sided with the Dawnguard at all, and I haven't continued anywhere in the Vampire main quest yet beyond becoming a VL. I only know with any certainty that sneak related mods affect the VL's tutorial, due to three NPC's not liking the player in the castle. Beyond that, theres no promises; though the best bet I could offer is the two things I've heard that might be related and that's

1.) Keep a backup save of before that recruit attacked, you may very well need it when a fix comes out, or experiment to see if you can change the result. Even if that means temporarily but properly disabling all your mods for the duration of the quest to see if that resolves it.

2.) Leave the dawnguard castle for a bit, wait for 48 hours or so and try to go back; hopefully they won't attack.

2/ Since I loaded Dawnguard in, my ability to start my game has been very temperamental....When I click on 'Continue' the game CTD's, but found I could get into the game using the 'Load' option instead...but sometimes it reverses itself and the complete opposite happens...I am concerned that eventually this bug is going to crash my game altogether. // Answer: Have you checked your save file's sizes? Sounds a lot like the issues you come across when you have save bloating <.< if not that I have no idea; but that is a huge problem and to my knowledge no fix yet.

3/ I have had a frps drop...nothing major, but noticed. // Answer: Another symptom of save bloating. (or adding in new mods, but sounds like you haven't and have only removed mods - which I'll hope you uninstalled as each mod asks you to or that might be the cause of issues instead of dawnguard; but dawnguard itself is rumored to cause these problems too; I haven't been affected by this yet; but a lot have.)

Best of luck :( Wish I could have been of more help, but if you do end up coming across a solution PM me with the fix so I can add it to the ever growing list ;3

I should have read this page before posting about something on the page before xD Doh! Congrats on the fix rofl.

Okay, this is interesting ....(the fix didn't help my loading problems too unfortunately)....I followed your advice and have searched around and finally found my save files....is Dawnguard causing a swell in the size of the save files?....I jumped from averaging 5000-8000 up to 10,000-11,500 not that long after the introduction of the Dawnguard DLC...and it appears to be on the creep up....Do I have any options as to what I can do about that?

Edited by StayFrosty05

If you have even the smallest bounty in Riften the entire Dawnguard will attack on sight. That might be the problem outlined in 1 not something to do with Mods.

No, never had a bounty.....I am thinking the Soul Cairn thing may have glitched out on me....just considering the timing of when it happened.

Edited by StayFrosty05

Dawnguard, or a mod. (It's reported that Sounds of Skyrim causes bloating aswell, and perhaps others I haven't heard about.) aswell as combinations of mods clashing and causing it. I can't say what exactly is the problem in your particular case, nor do I have a fix unfortunately; never heard of one.. once a save starts to bloat it's really just a matter of time or so I hear; even those I've heard about "The cause was definately X mod, so I removed it!" still had to start a new game as their save remained - and continued to bloat even after the cause was removed. Best you can do is search around and be hopeful a fix is released that salvages your save.

Atm my save files are between 3729 KB & 6220 KB .. and the 6220 is my latest save as a VL - quite a few side quests done & Thalmor Embassy just completed from the main questline of Skyrim; so that's not to bad. It's when a save is bloating up to areas like 15 MB / 30 / 50 MB .. once you hit 50MB the save is pretty much wrecked and as it creeps any higher you can imagine it won't be playable.

TLDR

So I'm basically trying to say 11,000 KB (11MB) isn't terrible; if you've done ungodly amounts of gametime; and don't really know how to help with the loading issue unfortunately x.x

Edited by Satorinu

Dawnguard, or a mod. (It's reported that Sounds of Skyrim causes bloating aswell, and perhaps others I haven't heard about.) aswell as combinations of mods clashing and causing it. I can't say what exactly is the problem in your particular case, nor do I have a fix unfortunately; never heard of one.. once a save starts to bloat it's really just a matter of time or so I hear; even those I've heard about "The cause was definately X mod, so I removed it!" still had to start a new game as their save remained - and continued to bloat even after the cause was removed. Best you can do is search around and be hopeful a fix is released that salvages your save.

Atm my save files are between 3729 KB & 6220 KB .. and the 6220 is my latest save as a VL - quite a few side quests done & Thalmor Embassy just completed from the main questline of Skyrim; so that's not to bad. It's when a save is bloating up to areas like 15 MB / 30 / 50 MB .. once you hit 50MB the save is pretty much wrecked and as it creeps any higher you can imagine it won't be playable.

Hmmm...that's bad news.... :( ....I have switched off 'Auto Saves' in an effort to keep it down and have removed my large mods...I did that a few days back...clean saves, etc...everything I could think of...no I don't have SoS and have heard about the problems there.....My saves have only been growing since the introduction of Dawnguard and have only removed mods, not added (barring one Crossbow texture mod).

Edited by StayFrosty05

[quote name='Satorinu' timestamp='1344700716' post='6023443'

TLDR

So I'm basically trying to say 11,000 KB (11MB) isn't terrible; if you've done ungodly amounts of gametime; and don't really know how to help with the loading issue unfortunately x.x

Thank you Satorinu....I have a mystery it seems.... :ninja: ....I will keep hunting around for answers on that one....your help has been much appreciated...thank you.

Great. Got stricken into serious bug...

I realized it when I was told to read the Elder Scroll(Blood) in Ancestor Glade. I can't go trough because the elder scroll is treated like any other book! (if you 'read' the elder scroll, the screen should be changed into 1st person view, then your character hands will open the scroll and so on). Mine was not like that. It's just like opening any other ordinary book in the inventory and nothing appears.

I tried to go to qasmoke and retrieve some elder scroll there :tongue: . But that isn't working too :facepalm: . At least only the dragon scroll that I retrieved there that works. Also I found 2 Elder Scrolls(Dragon) in there.

tl;dr, I can't read the Elder Scrolls properly. They were treated just like ordinary books.