Is anyone playing Dawnguard WITHOUT bugs/ crashing?

kevkiev

Great. Got stricken into serious bug...

I realized it when I was told to read the Elder Scroll(Blood) in Ancestor Glade. I can't go trough because the elder scroll is treated like any other book! (if you 'read' the elder scroll, the screen should be changed into 1st person view, then your character hands will open the scroll and so on). Mine was not like that. It's just like opening any other ordinary book in the inventory and nothing appears.

I tried to go to qasmoke and retrieve some elder scroll there :tongue: . But that isn't working too :facepalm: . At least only the dragon scroll that I retrieved there that works. Also I found 2 Elder Scrolls(Dragon) in there.

tl;dr, I can't read the Elder Scrolls properly. They were treated just like ordinary books.

Just to be through, did you read it in the beam of light that appears?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did. Let me show you...

Before I go to qasmoke, I made a savedata. And this shot is taken from it:

http://puu.sh/QKk8

Technically, if you read the elder scroll, it must be like this:

http://puu.sh/QKkK (this is from after qasmoke savedata, using the Elder Scroll(Dragon))

I don't know why and how, but I can't continue the story if this persists. Now I'm trying to rollback from my past savedata... 7 hours ago. Wish me luck... I tried and the elder scrolls seem to be treated like ordinary books. This is strange...

Yay I got the solution from UESP. It is said I can add another extra scrolls to my inventory (player.additem 050118f9 1).

Edited by Avanzchel

Just finished the main quest, playing on the Dawnguard side. I've done most of the side quests too. No quest bugs at all and my only crash was right at the beginning when trying to enter Fort Dawnguard - cured by updating the wandering mannequin fix mod. (Which I shoulda done ages ago anyways.)

Only snag was that Serana would sometimes get stuck in crouch/sneak mode. Very annoying, but I got that with Aela in the base game as well so it might not be a DG thing.

Oh yeah, I also got that thing where I wouldn't get the "follow me" dialogue after telling Serana to wait. But that only happened once.

EDIT: re: the preceding comment - it might have been because I rarely told her to wait in my 1st playthrough of DG. On my 2nd playthrough, I've tried it 3 times so far and each time never afterwards got the "follow me" or "let's go" or whatever. That girl doesn't like to be told to wait!

Oh yeah(2). I'm playing through DG again and, after hitting this snag, was reminded that it happened once during my first play as well. All of a sudden all movement goes slow motion. No lag or anything, a very smooth slo-mo in fact. Weird thing is that, when it happens, all prior saves go in slo mo too. Only way to fix seems to be shutting down the game and restarting. Hard to say whether it's a DG or 1.7 thing tho I guess.

Edited by kevkiev

@Satorinu....I think I may have found the root of my loading problem....Due to an issue I had several weeks ago with my game, I have gotten into the habit of only creating 'clean saves' for my game....turns out I had built up a huge number of them, I deleted about 90% of them now and the game appears to be running much smoother and hasn't crashed since....maybe that was the problem....knock on wood, i hope the issue is now solved.

@Satorinu....I think I may have found the root of my loading problem....Due to an issue I had several weeks ago with my game, I have gotten into the habit of only creating 'clean saves' for my game....turns out I had built up a huge number of them, I deleted about 90% of them now and the game appears to be running much smoother and hasn't crashed since....maybe that was the problem....knock on wood, i hope the issue is now solved.

I'm thinkin' that by "clean save" you mean a hard save? (never know what to call it actually - whatever's not auto or quick anyways). You might know about this mod already, but if not it's awesomely convenient for that (I never auto/quick save)

I'm thinkin' that by "clean save" you mean a hard save? (never know what to call it actually - whatever's not auto or quick anyways). You might know about this mod already, but if not it's awesomely convenient for that (I never auto/quick save)

Looks promising and very good idea...thank you for the link... :happy: ....You wouldn't happen to know if I could use it in conjunction with a controller?.... :blush:

Looks promising and very good idea...thank you for the link... :happy: ....You wouldn't happen to know if I could use it in conjunction with a controller?.... :blush:

Hmmmn.... sorry, I have no idea (I don't really know how controllers work) :sad:.

Neat find, though honestly I've never really been sure what people have against Auto/quick saves. I have sort of taken a backseat on technical issues with skyrim unlike with Morrowind and Oblivion; since I just haven't been able to push myself to learn the creation kit this time around and how things work. (don't mistake that, was only a modder for Morrowind & only ever did mods for myself.. oh how I will miss thee, morrowind mod' twenty hours of building a elaborate dungeon with cattle and companions; thy cattle most missed.) So what exactly do people fear so much about the two? I know 'rumors' that quicksaves and autosaves 'get corrupt so much more often' but honestly I've never see it myself, well, maybe in Morrowind if I recall correctly; but heavily my own fault with over-mod-use.

To me, from a technical 'coding' standpoint quicksaves and autosaves perform the same 'form' of save as "console / save [name]" (which may be why I never notice since I only rely on quick/auto saves after crashes or deaths, but at the end of a session or big point I don't want to lose I do tend to use "~ + Save [some related word, like Savior, Dragon, Breezehome, ResetxMod" depending on what's going on, and that's 'generally' the save I load from while auto/quick saves are just emergency's .. or menu - save - [select to overwrite a previous save] .

Is that incorrect though; has anyone really experienced issues solely related to quick/auto's and not just mods going hayware and lucky enough one of their 'solid' saves was far enough back the bug hadn't gotten stuck in yet?

Edited by Satorinu

@ Storinu: yeah, I don't really have enough technical knowledge about gamebryo to say definitively one way or the other - it's just my gut feel that there's something to the "no auto/quick" save thing. I'd read that they were a bad idea tons of times, sometimes in specific reference to gamebryo not handling overwriting very well, but never really worried about it too much. It was always in the back of my mind but I just wasn't willing to give up the Q/A save convenience.

Still didn't worry about it enough to change my saves approach after my first playthrough of skyrim eventually got mysteriously hit by corrupted saves and I ended up reinstalling and starting a new game (long story - whether that problem was from Q/A saves, I can't say for sure). My new game was stable, but I was a little concerned about how much my save game sizes were increasing. Nothing like the game-busting "bloating" problems I've read about, but they were increasing at a pace that made me think. "Hmmmn... if I put a hundred hours on this game, at this pace my saves will be.... yikes that's pretty big" kinda thing.

When that hotkey mod came out, I thought I'd give it a shot. What was most interesting was that, once I gave up quick/auto saves, the increase in my save game sizes slowed to a snail's pace. As I said, I wasn't suffering from massive bloat anyway, and my papyrus logs were clean, but I noticed the difference right away. I've read that bloat can only be caused by orphaned scripts so I don't know why that would be (since I didn't seem to be having any script problems - in my current game I've kept my scripted mods to a minimum anyways), but the save size thing was extremely noticeable. Again, I'm no tech-head but I'm thinkin' there's gotta be something to it even if I don't know what that something is. And that hotkey mod makes hard saves so convenient that, for me, it's a "better safe than sorry" without any drawbacks.

Anyways, I'll shut up now as maybe this would be a better topic for a separate thread.