Scrap Metal Mod

charwo

OK, is there a scrap metal crafting mod? One specifically that will allow me to break down weapons and metal armor and stuff into scrap?

I downloaded a scrap metal mod, but it didn't look like it handed weapons, but worse still FOMM isn't loading it. It does get activated in the package manager screen but doesn't show up in the FOMM load order, where it counts. Help with that and/or a more comprehensive mod would be very much appreciated.

I downloaded a scrap metal mod, but it didn't look like it handed weapons, but worse still FOMM isn't loading it. It does get activated in the package manager screen but doesn't show up in the FOMM load order, where it counts.

Install it manually. Some mods simply cannot be installed via a package manager or some other automated tool like the NMM.

Just unzip the downloaded mod, check inspect it's folder structure, and copy it's contents into your data directory.

OK! The mod is called FGraptors scrap metal crafting mod. It's supposed to expand the dialogue tree options in CRAFT to allow you to make scrap, but....it never shows up and no notes get sent on how the scaling of scrap metal making will work based on my repair skill, as the instructions said it would. Problem is, I need to run the game through FOSE and the FOMM is supposed to do that and furthermore the Scrap Metal Crafting Mod, it's a .FOMOD extension (if that means anything) and I put it in data file, but that which doesn't show up in the FOMM loading screen (and check marked) doesn't load. Even if I load it in the original Fallout 3 prompt, it won't load unless the FOMM loads it because only through FOMM can I activate FOSE.

...I put it in data file, but that which doesn't show up in the FOMM loading screen...

No, .fomod's don't go in the data directory, rather 'Fallout 3\fomm\mods\'. Then activate it in FOMM's Package Manager. You can also just add the archive from where you downloaded it to and FOMM will do the work for you. See here for more detail.

I've used Scrap Metal Crafting and it's a decent mod but you are correct that it doesn't allow the conversion of weapons to scrap. If your aim is to increase the amount of, or sources of, scrap metal in your game, there are a number of mods I could recommend but I don't know of one that allows the conversion of weapons to scrap. For me, they are much more useful as weapons.

I sorta understand that, but....between repair parts and such I have a .223 pistol, a Tactical Sniper Rifle, a M213 machine gun (with the insane 200 round clip), and atomic pulverizer and a ton of frag grenades. And....like 5,000 of ammo for each weapon. I need things I can do for repeatable quests: essentially for Outcast collection agent, cause with FWE I am measuring my wealth and power in mini nukes (Davy! Davy Crockett! King of the Wold Frontier!)

Another FGRaptor mod - Weapon DisAssembly - comes closest to doing what you want.

Ammo Toolkits has an optional esp that lets you strip scrap metal and fission batteries from cars. A dedicated collector can quickly amass obscene quantities of scrap and batteries so this is not a 'balanced' mod by any means. And of course the base mod lets you craft mini-nukes...

Busworld and Scavenger World - Updated are both more balanced in that they increase the availability of scrap metal and other items but not excessively. They also, I think, improve the gameworld in small but satisfying ways.

Um....silly question...but my FOMM is version 0.12.6 and none of these mods are loading. Is it possible this is an older version that doesn't support presumably newer mods or is it something else?

EDIT: I unloaded the rar file via package manager, it was in the package manager, I activated it, and yet the .esp part does not show up at all in FOMM for either Weapon disassembly nor for scrap metal crafting.

Edited by charwo

Apologies, it's a long time since I used FOMM to any extent and I'm a little rusty. I'm sure I used to just add the archive but can't get it to work now. I've experimented and the following processes both work for me (version 0.12.6)

Either A):

Extract the archive ('FGRaptors_Scrap_Metal_Crafting_2_0-12688.zip') to 'Fallout 3\fomm\mods\' (this is where *.fomod files are kept by FOMM). You should now have a file there called 'FGRaptors Scrap Metal Crafting.fomod'. Start up FOMM, open the Package Manager and double click 'FGRaptors Scrap Metal Crafting' in the mod list to install.

Or B):

Extract the archive anywhere, start FOMM, open Package Manager, click 'Add FOMOD', navigate to where 'FGRaptors Scrap Metal Crafting.fomod' is located, select it. When you are asked 'Make a copy of the original file?' select 'No', double click 'FGRaptors Scrap Metal Crafting' in the mod list to install.

Method A is quick and easy, method B is more conventional.