how followers follow

regade1

I run the mod to have unlimited followers. It's great. Have the sniper, the melee, the shotgun, and me with the assault rifle. But one thing about having a lot of followers, is they form a line. A long line. I propose a mod that makes it so followers don't form a line, rather stick close to the player. one stays on the players left, another on the right, another right behind. But all in all, they stick close to the PC instead of being convoy that stretches from Doc mitchells all the way to good springs saloon.

I propose a mod that makes it so followers don't form a line, rather stick close to the player. one stays on the players left, another on the right, another right behind.

Well they have a follow package with the player as the ref (target). But they don't have any provisions for the angle or bearing relative to the player. They have distance to follow at and some flags (like allow swimming, allow falls, allow idle chatter etc), but not a whole lot else.

You could make them follow a ref that would be constantly determined by player.getangle and add a distance. But honestly it would be a lot more work then you might guess.

I guess maybe set them up to follow a different reference like an Xmarker. Then use getpos (x & y) and getangle to determine the PC's location and bearing. Use setpos to move the reference to a different angle (say 30 degrees behind the player) and distance (say 200 which would give you 8 or 9 feet from the player). The NPC's would then be constantly moving to that ref.

But it'd be a pain to script (& have to be added to each npc's script that you wanted to follow in this format) and if the player turned/pivoted everyone else would move to his/her new bearing. Plus it might be pretty processor intensive, especially if you have half a dozen followers.

I guess what I'm saying is it's much more difficult than it would appear on the surface, and unless someone comes up with a much more practical solution, your probably gonna have to let this idea go.