PC restarting when play skyrim

vroix

Hello fellow skyrim players, I would like to ask for help because I encounter some problems when I play skyrim.

The short description of my problem is :

I upgraded my hardwares (PSU, GPU, and HDD) then I install some of texture mods from S.T.E.P. I thought I will play quite nicely, but my PC keep restarting every now and then (not CTD, but restart). Not only that, I notice that there are a lot of stutter on my game.

The quite long description of my problem is :

My previous spec was (PSU 380W, Ge Force 9400 GT, and 160 GB). With those rigs, I can only run Skyrim with 20 fps. So I decided to spend my saving to buy a second hand PSU 420W, a brand new Ge Force GTX 550 Ti, and a brand new 500GB HDD. I was hoping that I can run on 45-60 fps with my new rigs, and I was right. After testing the game for a few minutes, I decided to download Official HD texture and some of high texture mods from S.T.E.P. I read the guide and finally managed to install some of the texture mods.

Then, I played. At first everything went well. But after a few days of playing, I notice that my PC restart when I play skyrim. I'm used to getting CTD and able to fix it by managing the mods. But restarting... I've never had this problem before. After a few restart, I notice that there are stutter in my game after about 30 minutes playing.

Sometimes my PC restart when I was browsing or doing my essay. But restarting frequently happen whenever I play Skyrim. I don't have any good knowledge about computers (other than the basic on using it), so perhaps someone out there can offer me a suggestion, recommendation, or a solution to fix this?

I fear that a frequent restart will damage my HDD and other things.

Some efforts I have done to fix the problem :

1. I tried to uninstall the Nvdia drivers and install it again. But the problem still occurs.
  2. Tried using a stabilizer (I assume the electricity is responsible for the restart). But that didn't help either.
  3. Tried uninstall skyrim, then restore my backup. Still do no good.

I have some kind of hunch that this is because of the secondhand PSU. But I'm not quite sure about that. Or does this have to do with the 1.7 patch? Because I updated the patch at the same time when I upgraded my PC.

Or it is because of the high texture mods?

Another additional information about my specs :

previous :

• Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
  • Memory: 4096MB RAM
  • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

after upgrade :

• Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
  • Memory: 4096MB RAM
  • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I upgraded my RAM too (8GB), but it was burned after a few restart so I can't put it again.

Thank you for taking the time reading my problem description. I will appreciate every help you can offer.

Edited by vroix

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a brand new Power Supply and the problem stopped. I encounter a new problem (I don't know how to explain it but it's related to restarting and a comment "Fix ME firmware" showed up when booting)

But thank you everyone....

My motherboard is Gigabyte H55M-S2V. I'm not familiar with stuff related to BIOS, is it really dangerous?

I was unable to play skyrim for some time before, and now I just managed to get it running again. If updating BIOS has a risk to make my motherboard become a "brick" I don't think I'm brave enough to do it.

I don't know whether it is allowed to post another different problem on this thread or not, but I think I'll try to describe my problem. It is quite similar with the problem on the link, but it has some differences.

1. When I turn on the PC for the first time, it turned on for 1-2 seconds, then went off.
  2. After that, it turned on by itself, the screen showed "Loading Operating System..." comment then the "fix firmware data" showed up and at 90% my PC went off again.
  3. Not long after, it turned on by itself again and everything went normal.
  4. When my PC goes to sleep state, there is no way to wake it up other than turn it off manually by unplug the power.

Is it really necessary to update BIOS to fix this problem? I tried disabling the USB legacy thing but nothing happen.