Fallout New Vegas crashes on startup

I also notice the "child process" (i.e. the game executable) is being loaded into address "0xFF7F0000", which is very near or beyond the end of 8GB of system memory, which would generate a "0xc0000005" error. I strongly suspect the game does not have sufficient memory to load.

Also, how could I possibly not have enough RAM for the game to load?! With the 4GB patch, I should have more than enough. I say this because the RAM requirements for the game listed on the store page on Steam are 2GB.

One: Read the linked "File and Folder permissions" article. I can tell from your terminology and questions that you are not very experienced with computers in general and Windows in particular, but reading such articles as necessary is how you gain that experience. It's much like mathematics: you have to know how to add and subtract before you can multiply and divide, etc.. Not trying to turn you into a computer professional, but providing some fundamentals everyone should know because you are going to encounter it a lot.

Two: "Game Boosters" are programs which assist you in temporarily shutting down "unneeded" system processes. These processes are typically started with Windows for "internet" types of things, which you do not need when running a game "offline". I do not expect that you have a "Game Booster"; I am suggesting you get one.

Three: Assuming by "security parameters" you are referring to the "File and Folder Permissions"; that is explained in the referenced article (see response "One").

Re: Steam Overlay. Good. Then it isn't causing a problem. Bear in mind: if you don't mention it, we don't know about it so we often mention things that may not apply to your specific situation "just in case".

Re: "how could I possibly not have enough RAM for the game to load?" By attempting to load too many things. Everything you install for the game, including less obvious stuff such as "hi-rez textures" of all sorts, consumes RAM. There are also parts of the Windows Operating System which take up part of the default 2GB. Remember also that the 2GB basic requirement is for the vanilla game (excluding DLCs). "Minimum requirements" are just that: "minimums" which are easily exceeded. They are not "recommended", especially not for "modded" games. ("Minimum requirements" are marketing-speak for "technically you can, but you won't be happy with the result; 'caveat emptor; buyer beware, legally we warned you' but we will have your money by then".) Even with the 4GB patch, you can still exceed the 4GB memory limit, which is why there is a recommended "plugin cap".

However, having the game loaded to that "0xFF7F0000" address is not typical unless you have only 4GB of system RAM total. The most common reason if you have more RAM than that is due to other processes running so that is the only place the game can be loaded to. Which is why the suggestion for a "Game Booster" app. It might also be due to "bad RAM" at lower addresses, though that is much less likely. There are programs like MEMTEST86 which you can run to "stress test" your memory to see if that is the case.

-Dubious-

What were you doing or attempting when that error popped? Is there any log file entry? (I would expect to see something like that message from a mod manager attempting to communicate with a server. It's also possible the system or game is trying to create a "multi-processor thread", but this game doesn't usually make much use of them.)

-Dubious-

Well, while you were explaining that trying to load too many things into the game could potentially be what's causing the game to crash, you mentioned the "plugin cap"'. Seeing how I never merge my plugins because I'm always fearful that TTW will stop working, I thought "screw it" and merged most of my bugfixes and my weapon mods. It still wouldn't launch.

Edited by DerpyMcCMuffin

I see from the video that you are still getting a Windows system error "Windows Exception code: 0xc0000005" (though you do not seem to notice it). This was pointed out in post #19; as was the high memory address it was loading into. If you do not resolve this, the game will never launch. It is a Windows memory problem, not something with the game.

The "Faulting Application" is often the victim of another program rather than the actual culprit, making it virtually impossible for the user to trace the source. Any recent update since the last time it was working correctly is suspect, as are viruses even if you have anti-virus (AV) running. Run AV from multiple sources when checking for infections. There are a number of free online scanners on the internet (though they are all going to try to sell you their services after the first time).

You may need to exclude FNV from "Data Execution Protection (DEP)" and configure " Windows Defender Exploit Guard (WDEG)". Please see "Issue - NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU v1709" under the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

Try turning off any unnecessary background processes, such as "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" programs (unneeded if you are running your game in "offline" mode once you have scanned since the last connection), multiplayer "overlays" like "OverWolf" (this is single-player after all), the Steam overlay, etc., at least on a temporary basis to see if they are interfering. There are also tools (often called "Game Boosters") to help you determine "unnecessary when offline" Windows services you can temporarily shut down.

-Dubious-