Can't find save games or even the folder for them. Help please!

OgdenMorrowind

So, recently I got a new low end gaming laptop and installed Morrowind (I don't know what version it is or I'd post it here, all I can tell you is it came in a package with both Tribunal and bloodmoon) and I can't find the folder that is supposed to be in the morrowing folder called "saves" The game is working fine and I have about 20 saved games, but I'll be damned if I can find them.

Any ideas/help?

This game is so old that it puts its data into the program folder itself. That's where you'll find your saves.

Appreciate the attempt, but … no cigar. The saves are not in : Program Files (x86), Bethesda Softworks, nor the Morrowind folders. That's the path BTW. (C:>Program Files (x86)> Bethesda Softworks,> Morrowind)

it's like they don't exist. I even changed my folder options to show hidden, thinking that they may be, … no dice.

So, recently I got a new low end gaming laptop and installed Morrowind (I don't know what version it is or I'd post it here, all I can tell you is it came in a package with both Tribunal and bloodmoon) and I can't find the folder that is supposed to be in the morrowing folder called "saves" The game is working fine and I have about 20 saved games, but I'll be damned if I can find them.

Any ideas/help?

What you have is the Morrowind GotY version, but you didn't say if you had the retail or the Steam version and that's important to know. So, what version (retail or Steam) do you have?

Lucky for you, I have both versions so I can check where the Morrowind\Saves folder is located.

Retail - Morrowind\Saves

Steam - <path>\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Saves (the default path is C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Saves)

You can always try to search for your gamesaves by typing "*.esp*" without the quotes in the Windows Explorer (not the web browser) and the star - * - before the dot is for all file names that have the .esp file extension regardless what file name a file has.

Or use this excellent tool and I've been using it for years without being disappointed.

Edited by leonardo2

This game is so old that it puts its data into the program folder itself. That's where you'll find your saves.

Appreciate the attempt, but … no cigar. The saves are not in : Program Files (x86), Bethesda Softworks, nor the Morrowind folders. That's the path BTW. (C:>Program Files (x86)> Bethesda Softworks,> Morrowind)

it's like they don't exist. I even changed my folder options to show hidden, thinking that they may be, … no dice.

Thank you, yep, there there!

If you're running a version of Windows after Vista you've possibly run into folder virtualisation. Try

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files(x86)

The retail version, I resisted steam and played old games, really really old games until this year when I got another old game, but not AS old, Civ V and HAD to activate it with steam.

I hate the whole steam, in my business, model. And I like to hold what I buy in my hand. really pisses me off I can no longer go to a store and buy a physical PC game.

Any ideas/help?

What you have is the Morrowind GotY version, but you didn't say if you had the retail or the Steam version and that's important to know. So, what version (retail or Steam) do you have?

Lucky for you, I have both versions so I can check where the Morrowind\Saves folder is located.

Retail - Morrowind\Saves

Steam - <path>\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Saves (the default path is C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Saves)

You can always try to search for your gamesaves by typing "*.esp*" without the quotes in the Windows Explorer (not the web browser) and the star - * - before the dot is for all file names that have the .esp file extension regardless what file name a file has.

Or use this excellent tool and I've been using it for years without being disappointed.

Ooops, and my bad, … thank you as well.