Dawnguard - Do I HAVE to kill Harkon?

Katiemw

If you are using a follower overhaul like EFF or AFT, you may be able to use one of those to force him into being a follower (assuming you haven't killed him already). I've never tried it with him, but now I may have to...

Edit: Of course if you do that, you won't be able to finish the DG questline.

When the quest for Auri-el's bow is complete, you do receive the option to hand the bow to Harkon. He takes it and immediately tries to kill you. So at that point, you could TECHNICALLY remain loyal by not fighting back... you'd just die and your game would be over. But this is a guy who imprisoned his wife in another dimension and would have killed his own daughter to further his plan, so it would have been a special sort of stupid to think he's going to grow a heart just for you.

I do understand the desire to have more options and getting to be an evil vampire lord at Harkon's side would be cool and all, but at least Bethesda was able to offer a reason as to why that option wasn't available. And you can still kill Harkon and install yourself as a high-ranking member of the Volkihar court, so the evil vampire lord character is still available--just not with Harkon at your side.

So I guess the conundrum here is that Harkon would have to be a different person in order to avoid killing him--but making him be a different person just so that he can live is, in effect, killing his character anyway.

But uh. For what it's worth. There is a slight alternative to actually killing him in the form of this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66949/?

You still have to fight Harkon and defeat him, but this mod changes the ending a bit so that he is bound to serve you in battle when you summon him, so... I'm not sure if that's a step above or below simply killing him, but it certainly is a step.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Pretty sad that there is no mod to change it so Harkon doesn't kill you and you don't have to kill him and have to stay loyal to him cause I kind of wanted a tainted auriel's bow, lol

Edit: Just stumbled across this so I won't be responding to anyone who responds to me so yeah.

Edited by SeraphThe2nd