Wanting new gaming desktop

Back in August 22' I was inquiring about upgrading or simply buying/building a newer computer...

I won't have to worry about that now...

The liquid cooling pump went out in my maching...it was leaking on the 2080ti card and so the card went south too...took it to best buy (where I bought it) and it was out of warranty by about 6 months...typical...

So, the repair people at BB said a small 4070 card would fit in the existing 2080 slot...

So now I have a "new" machine with a new coolant pump/hoses and a 4070 card...

Have just set it up and am looking forward to seeing the difference between the 2080 and the 4070...

Cost for pump and card ~$700

pops

That's why I stick with a heatsink and fan.... nothing to leak. I don't overclock, so no real need for a truly serious cooling system. The heat sink I am using now though, is MONDO. I have zero heat issues on this machine.

i've made best experiences with air cooling. the 40xx runs very efficient and cool. liqiud cooling is plain overkill and just maybe an option for an overclocked 4090 which is in my opinion efficiency killing for about nothing!

thank you both for your replies...

I suppose I am "stuck" with the liquid cooling system since it was standard on the unit when I bought it in 2019...

The BB tech told me that the cooling system only cools the cpu's and not the gpu...

since I know little to nothing about computer design (old gearhead here) I appreciate all of your comments.

I am 2 months shy of 74 and so this may be the last machine I every play on...hope fully I will live long enough for this computer to be outdated and have to buy/build a new one...

pops