Merge file?

rilax

Me and my friend are working on a mod but with the same .esp file.

Is there any way how we can merge our progress? Because the stuff i made won't be in his version and the stuff he made won't be in my version.

I heard about file merging but i wasn't certain that was the right thing so i went here.

The only way for two people to work on the same file at the same time is if the file is a .esm Master File, and if Version Control is enabled. To learn about Version Control you can read either of these two tutorials:

Creation Kit Wiki - Version Control

SureAI - Version Control Tutorial

Merging esps can easily be done using TesVSnip.

- Open them both in the same window

- Drop one you don't consider the 'main' file to see the edits (they're in 4-letter abvs)

- with each one right-click and select "copy to ....esp" which will add them to the other one

- when you have moved what you want over, highlight the TES4 record and go to "spells" and select "sanitize". This will organize the file.

- Go to "spells" again and select "find duplicate FormID". It is likely a few will found, and will highlight one of them.

- right-click this data and a window will pop up. To the right of "name" at the top is the formID, change a number or two and click "apply" at the bottom. Repeat the duplicate checks until they stop.

- Click Sanitize again to be safe and save your esp, with a new name in case something goes wrong.

You should be aware that if you have data that relies on each other such as and enchantment for a weapon, or a magic effect for an enchantment, or 1stperson static objects for weapons, then you may need to re-appoint them in the CK. Nothing will be lost it's just that when you edited the formIDs the parent lost it's child and you need to show them where it is...if that makes sense to you.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this up but your solution is not really safe:

Skyrim 1_6 is not compatible with TESVSnip and broke a whole lot of mods and caused endless heartbreak for many modders who had poured their souls into building their mods.

You should not use TESVSnip for anything other than examining what is in a mod until Bethesda fixes Skyrim or a new improved version of TESVSnip is built.

In other words, you probably shouldn't download this tutorial.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10208

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5064

There's still issues with it on the mod's page, though some have tried to fix it.

Is SLuckyD's 4.3.1 version reliable? There haven't been "successful" reports of using it yet. Looking forward to an update or alternative on the subject :thumbsup:

Again, sorry for bringing this topic back a month and a half apart, but it's better than creating a new one, I think, and the subject is of utmost importance to me.

Yeah all I have heard about TESVSnip is bad things but I used it my self the other day and so far it has semmed to work fine for me, Just be sure to back every thing up in case all goes wrong.

^ This - I cannot urge people enough to NOT just go off hear-say, you will never know unless you try it yourself. It's not just a dis-functional mess and does work most of the time, if you backup (which literally takes a second) then there is no harm if done if you encounter bugs. If it does work (it most likely will) then you will wonder how you got along without it.

I use this program a lot for personal use, merging mods to reduce the plugin count, and I have had very few issues due to the merging process so I stand strong on my recommendation :thumbsup:

Edited by Ironman5000

I've not tried TES5Edit, but if it's anything like its Oblivion predecessor, it should be great for most merging needs. That being said, it all boils down to WHAT you're merging as to what tools may be easier/faster, etc. As Ironman5000 noted, TESVSnip can be very useful, and I've used it to merge together a ton of gear mods for personal use to save slots. But as with any tool, if you don't know what you're doing with it, you could very well bork something (and in TESVSnip, there's a greater danger of "misuse" relating to borking duplicative FormIDs than accidentally messing with compression and headers to corrupt a mod).

If what you're merging is more complex (e.g., exterior map changes, quests/dialogue, etc.), your safest and surest bet is version control in the CK. It's a pain to set up, and even more of a pain if you're merging exterior edits because of navmesh (you have to modify Skyrim.esm for ANY form that is owned by it, including exterior navmesh), but it's pretty much guaranteed to avoid any sort of conflict in terms of FormIDs, etc.