need program for particular type of .dds file

Kevgeon

I want to make some edits to a texture mod for Monster Hunter World. The mod edits monster icons in the hunter's notes section and other areas of the game by overlaying a small icon of whatever element that monster is weakest against so that the information can be gleaned at first glance without having to open so many menus. The mod hasn't been updated in a while and is missing icons for two monsters, so instead of just having the monster thumbnail as usual without an extra element icon over it, there is no icon at all!

This is really bugging me so I've tried two different converters to convert the .tex files the game makes use of, to .dds files I can make edits to and package back up to .tex again. Both converters say they worked successfully but nothing I try can open these .dds files. I've traied Paint.net and Gimp with a .dds plugin i found for it. I've also tried Windows 10's native .dds viewer just to try and look at them.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can use to edit these things?

Edited by Kevgeon

I've traied Paint.net and Gimp with a .dds plugin i found for it. I've also tried Windows 10's native .dds viewer just to try and look at them.

Those first two are exactly what i use to open .dds files. Maybe the conversion from .tex isn't doing something right.

I've traied Paint.net and Gimp with a .dds plugin i found for it. I've also tried Windows 10's native .dds viewer just to try and look at them.

Those first two are exactly what i use to open .dds files. Maybe the conversion from .tex isn't doing something right.

I think you're right, something is going wrong in the conversion to .dds