SkyRe vs Duel vs ASIS, and ACE

redeyesandlonghair

im still juggling whether to use the asis encounter module or stick to the skyre encounterzone module. I read that the Asis one has more spawns and better encounter.

Im currently running the full Skyre package but i'd like to have more and randomzied spawns.

Would Asis help me?

EDIT: i have the full skyre mod running and patched asis only with the randomzied and increased spawns. I deactivated deadly dragons, skyre enemy scaling and better vampires while patching then reactivated them once it was done and my game seems to be working.

If anyone knows if I should be doing things different please let me know :D

Edited by vlaka

SKYRE w/ Morrowloot is win....I don't have 150 mods installed, just 33 and I personally love what it does to the game, but those 2 mods really make the experience. I use all the mods with SKYRE and it just feels like the game Skyrim should have been without mods.

i'm still not sure what i'll use lol. ever since i used FOOK for Fallout 3, i've been wary of big total overhauls. Fook messed up 2 games w/ many hours invested. but it kind of an early version. well like a year old.

think i might use Deadly Combat. like the sound of that

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thinking of trying out ACE for a new play-through on a warrior type character that uses one-handed, archery, and heavy armor. Would this be viable and balanced in it? Also does ACE make the game easier or harder difficulty wise? Or would it be better to use SkyRe? Those are really the two I am between. Haven't tried either yet. Edited by Giagun

• 1 year later...

In terms of actual combat, my most enjoyable combination was ACE + Deadly Combat (Adept Difficulty).

Deadly Combat makes it harder to reach armor cap, and ACE gives a bunch of debuffs depending on situation (eg not having weapon drawn, flanked).

This created a very "Dark Souls" feel to the combat where a single mistake (like going for a strike instead of blocking, power attacking instead of normal attack, turtle blocking instead of timed blocking etc) can be the difference between win/lose. I remember killing the Draugr Boss at the end of Bleak Falls Barrow felt worthy of a high-five.

But in terms of character progression, SPERG perks seem more imaginative than ACE.

With ACE + Deadly Combat, I look forward to fighting, but leveling up is quite boring since there wasn't a lot of creative builds to spend perks on.

With SPERG + Deadly Combat, I look forward to leveling up because I want to unlock more perks, but the combat doesn't feel as intense.

EDIT: I managed to get ACE realistic fighting module + SPERG + Deadly Combat to load properly, so we'll see how that goes.

Edited by MrIllusion

• 6 months later...

HI guys

Im trying some combo overhaul for combat and i need some advice

I used :

-Asis + SPERG + Deadly combat

but i wasnt satisfy with SPERG

So i decide to switch SPERG to Skyre

-Asis + Skyre + Deadly combat

Just wanted to know if someone tried it ? or if someone found a great combination of those mods... I want to keep deadly combat for nervous fight

I'm glad someone picked this topic up since I was having same dilemma recently. I have tried lots of combinations on early levels, every time creating new character. It all depends on what kind of combat you want. Here are my opinions on SkyRe and SPERG.

First of all, SkyRe. SkyRe is a very different overhaul since it's not only changing perks but a lot of other mechanics. The most important change that is a part of SkyRe_Main.esp (so it applies even when you disable Combat module) is the global increase of damage. All weapons have their damage increased and there are bigger armor differences between light and heavy armor. No matter what Combat Mod you choose to have along SkyRe, there's still one thing that will always happen here - combat will be very short. This is not only my view - I was doing some deep research recently and I found a lot of topics (not only on Nexus Forums) of people complaining about that. Sure, maybe it's realistic, but for me it's not very fun if I finish the combat earlier than the music started. 2-3 hits with 1-handed weapon and enemies are dead (90% of time).

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining about SkyRe as a whole. I think it's the best perk overhaul mod out there - T3nd0 is a great guy and he put a lot of his time into this mod and you can see that. I'm not sure but I think he's the only one that made Archery tree (Marksmanship) look interesting by adding Crossbow section (explosive enchantments, crafting crossbows and stuff). But still, I can't stand this focus on making fights more realistic and shorter. I'm playing with followers (always had and always will) and that makes the whole game a big joke, since they kill enemies sooner that I'm able to reach them, especially if you take a ranged follower.

Another thing about SkyRe that I personally stumbled upon is inconsistency of difficulty. Skyrim by itself seems to be pretty... random in this regard. But I found that SkyRe makes it even worse. For example, at level 2 or 3 I raided some bandit fort. All regular bandits went down without any problems - a few hits and they were gone (boring). Then I went inside and I met the Bandit Chief. My one power attack took like 1 cm of his health and he killed me with one swing of his one-handed axe. I flew like a rugby ball. Now, I know that some enemies should be harder and some easier (and I love that!) but the difference is WAY too big. This is also the problem with Skyrim - there's no way to know your enemy's HP, level or damage without striking him or taking a hit from him (which might be already too late to do anything). SkyRe makes that difference between enemies even bigger. So basically the problem with SkyRe, even without combat module, is that fact that you can kill most enemies very easily and you can also be killed easily. 1-shot-fest, which is (for me) boring and misses the point of having fun game.

You also have to keep in mind that SkyRe is most likely not the only mod you'll be playing with. I bet you have armor mods, weapon mods, enemy mods (like OBIS or High Level Enemies) and other stuff. The more you add the more imbalanced Skyrim becomes and I'm worried that SkyRe just enhances this feeling even more :( And if you add ASIS to that (along with Apocalypse Armory) then prepare to have pretty much unbalanced game.

The other mod is SPERG, which by some is called "less intensive SkyRe". I think SPERG is a good mod but I wouldn't touch it without at least Master Difficulty and "Hardcore version" enabled in SPERG's MCM menu. The thing is, SPERG is having auto perks and makes your character a lot stronger, at least at the very beginning. This allows to have more funny and interesting builds of your character, but it also makes combat really easy. The perks also seem to be more powerful so yeah... More power = boring game :P

Personally I prefer something closer to Vanilla but with more diversity and interesting mechanics. At the moment I have installed ACE (all modules except for Archery, cause I won't be playing archer this time and I'm already tired of compatibility patches to make bows compatible with it) + Duel v5 (v5 has more of a vanilla feeling with additional things like timed blocking and stuff, while v7 is more dangerous and deadly but makes combat shorter). I will test it today, probably with Master difficulty (and I'll switch to Legendary after gaining a follower). I really want to have long fights, where I have to use my shield a lot, heal and support my follower, use shouts, find some tactics and maintain my resources.

If you don't like ACE, then you might also check TTRSO - TheThirdRace Skill Overhaul. It's a vanilla inspired perk overhaul that makes interesting changes without straying too far from the vanilla perks. It's also very very compatible.

i use all of ACE and parts of SkyRe.

from skyre i use better AI enemies, better leveling enemies. the main module from skyre would interfere with ACE (depending on load order, they would probably just overwrite each other).

i also use deadly dragons and another mod thats makes me need more armor to reach the armor cap of 90% (which i raised by another mod haha).

the fights are pretty intense. i have to fear for my life. i actually had to reduce the difficulty to expert (i played legendary before i installed these mods and hp didnt drop below 90%). i guess thats due to higher leveled enemies from skyre. a 2-handed guy onehitted me when i didnt block.

im lvl49 right now, my one handed skill is 100, so my dmg output wont get any higher. i fear that the higher leveled enemies will be too tanky soon when my character gets some lvlups. i might want to install a mod that allows me to level certain skills beyond 100. but that would make smithing too powerful again (after it was nerfed via ACE).

so i need a mod that only allows to level weapon skills beyond 100. that would be great.