ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Windows Vista or Windows 7

Hay everyone. I have Windows Vista home premium on my MSI CX600, 4 GB RAM, 32-bit operating system, laptop. And i was wondering if I should upgrade my OS to Windows 7? From my experience Vista takes 5 or more minutes to start up, takes up some 30 GB of room and in general runs slow. My sister uses Windows 7 and says she likes it, but she never plays any games or anything that needs much resources. I on the other hand play Oblivion, Total War, Age Of Empires and have a ton of other games and videos and in general am always using a lot of resources.

So dose anyone know if it's worth upgrading? Is Windows 7 actually any better?

PS. Sorry for the rambling on and horrible grammar.

With a laptop, you probably won't see much benefit. Although W7 is slightly more stable, Vista isn't too horrible now after all the fixes they made to it. The main reason why people would want to use W7 is if they are making a new computer or are upgrading to go above 4gb ram. W7 won't necessarily take up less memory or be quicker since a good deal with that depends on the hardware and what services and features you have active. Windows 7 with Aero and some of the other "flashy" stuff can actually take up much more resources than Vista. All computers boot slowly if you don't trim down startup processes and clear out excess fluff, and even then it can be dependent on your drive speed and age of the drive.

Windows 7 will take less RAM, but unless you go 64 bit you wouldn't see a difference in the RAM games are allowed to use anyway. Even then it would only help with certain games. If you were asking which to buy I'd say Windows 7 every time, but since you already have Vista it's probably not worth the ~$140 upgrade.

Well I tried reducing the number of start up processes using Start Up Manger that comes with Advanced SystemCare 5 it seemed to help somewhat. I also tried installing Soluto but, I recently Updated Windows and the update killed Windows installer so I can't install Soluto or anything that uses Windows installer now.