Mage Levitation Spell: Possible?

chaosrabbit

Hey all, I'll get right to the point; I'm sure you've seen how the dragon priests levitate a bit above the ground. It certainly enhances their powerful appearance. My question is, then, would it be possible to make levitation a spell?

Unrestricted levitation would probably not be very balanced, but if you had to pay mana to maintain the levitation and dual-wield it (as a kind of master level spell), it would still add a very powerful asset to mages, who don't really get to benefit from mounted combat and such and really need that extra agility. Also, it would look extremely cool, which helps :happy:.

Thoughts?

Well... From the way you describe it, I think this would only accomplish 'looking cool' if you had to dual cast it and it drained magicka, it would only really be useful running away real fast (Assuming this increases your movement speed) and as you said, looking cool. I don't think having this as a master level alteration spell that ran on a timer would be bad though. Increased move speed for a couple of minutes cast before entering combat might be nice... However, I could see this easily causing problems and glitches depending on how high you levitated. It'd be pretty easy in some places to hop over a wall and out of the current area, or glitch your head into a roof in tight spaces. And it could get pretty annoying fast if you used it and still had a minute or two left on it's effect and you wanted to go into your home, a shop, a mine, etc.

I would actually be very interested in something like this as well. I have a very noble/elegant style mage character and it just looks so odd that she's hoofing it around with that goofy run animation while casting spells. I actually just spent a while looking to see if there was some kind of animation replacer pack that made your character levitate instead of walking, No speed increase, just floating slightly off the ground and moving very float-y. A spell to give the same effect would be pretty awesome too, and enough to keep me satisfied. A power that you could toggle on/off that drained magicka to allow you to levitate slightly off the ground and move at an increased speed would be pretty awesome though. If anyone has some animation skill and would be willing to do it I'd be very very appreciative. It would give mages some definite badass points, haha.

There is a function called SetAllowFlying() but I'm not sure it can be used on a player. Also not sure if limiting the height of flying is possible as GetPositionZ() only returns a value from the base level, not the ground. If SetAllowFlying() works, the spell could definitely be limited to mana though.

I seem to remember High Heels mod that had the undesirable effect of making the player levitate a few inches off the ground if they were not actually wearing heels. I think that was due to a skeleton edit. Your legs would still move like you were running though. I'm not sure that's the effect you are going for.

What about pulling something from the Flame Atronach? Don't they float around above the ground? Its sounds exactly what you're asking for. I don't mod much yet (just made an axe, used Blender, so can't get into 'nif' format yet, although I could just release it as a resource), so I'm not sure how easy (or legal) it is to copy animations or whatever from an NPC an reuse for your PC.

I would love to see that, maybe similar to "Almalexia's Grace" (from a mod, not sure if it's similar to the one in Tribunal; just looked it up in UESP, not even close).

- Single wielding could give you the floating. Increased speed like Almalexia's Grace. Normal walking speed if you're overloaded.

- Single-wielding each hand would allow you to increase height- this would allow you to change your altitude, when you release one of the spells, you float back down to the ground.

- Dual wielding you can use for high speed travel a few feet above the ground.