Next best thing for the US (and perhaps the world)

mizdarby

Straw Poll of voting intentions  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for in 2012 US Elections

• Barack Obama/Democrats
    • Mitt Romney/Republicans
    • Any Other/Third Party such as Libertarian/Green etc
    • All political parties are a waste of my vote

Not voting, in my own opinion, loses you the right to complain about the winner. Why should you have the right to whine if you didn't bother to vote? My first question when someone starts whining is did you vote against them? If No then STFU. If you didn't care enough to vote your opinion doesn't matter.

A voters personal opinion doesn't matter either because they gave consent for a 3rd party to speak for them. Giving your voice away so some idiot can speak for you is the way of it though it seems.

How that works, the Electoral College, is the people go vote in a sector. The majority winner is what that person is supposed to vote for. Then after all the sectors are done in a state, the person with the most Electoral votes gets all the electoral votes. In some states, it works differently, but thats how it is usually done.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not voting, in my own opinion, loses you the right to complain about the winner. Why should you have the right to whine if you didn't bother to vote? My first question when someone starts whining is did you vote against them? If No then STFU. If you didn't care enough to vote your opinion doesn't matter.

A voters personal opinion doesn't matter either because they gave consent for a 3rd party to speak for them. Giving your voice away so some idiot can speak for you is the way of it though it seems.

How that works, the Electoral College, is the people go vote in a sector. The majority winner is what that person is supposed to vote for. Then after all the sectors are done in a state, the person with the most Electoral votes gets all the electoral votes. In some states, it works differently, but thats how it is usually done.

Not if the republican party has their way. They want to be able to cherry pick the folks that get sent to "represent" their areas......

Not if the republican party has their way. They want to be able to cherry pick the folks that get sent to "represent" their areas......

Considering we vote for our representatives? Impressive.

Maybe you missed this little tidbit:

]This past Friday, the RNC’s Convention Rules Committee voted – after several contentous votes – to change the party’s rules to allow future presidential candidates to have veto power over who can be delegates from any state – in other words, take power away from the grassroots and their ability to elect fellow conservatives as delegates.[/b]

]This past Friday, the RNC’s Convention Rules Committee voted – after several contentous votes – to change the party’s rules to allow future presidential candidates to have veto power over who can be delegates from any state – in other words, take power away from the grassroots and their ability to elect fellow conservatives as delegates.[/b]

How did that get voted for? :blink:

The delegates are supposed to pledge for for the candidate, what's so shocking? They are only there to prevent complete catastrophe and give smaller states more power. They are not there to just pick someone on a whim.

]This past Friday, the RNC's Convention Rules Committee voted – after several contentous votes – to change the party's rules to allow future presidential candidates to have veto power over who can be delegates from any state – in other words, take power away from the grassroots and their ability to elect fellow conservatives as delegates.[/b]

The delegates are supposed to pledge for for the candidate, what's so shocking? They are only there to prevent complete catastrophe and give smaller states more power. They are not there to just pick someone on a whim.

Correct, and, depending on what state they come from..... they are all supposed to pledge for the over-all 'winner' in that state, or, pledge per candidate based on what percentage of the vote they got. Mitt and company are trying to ensure that they can cherry pick which delegates show up, so they can be sure that their choice of candidate, is the one that gets the delegates, regardless of what state they are from.

Honestly I see little changing if Romney is elected. Seriously, if Romney said he wanted to raise taxes on the middle class it takes congress to do that (see current battle of letting the Bush tax cuts expire or extend them).

My understanding of Romneys' tax policies, seems to be an overall reduction in the six tax rates (by about 20%), but reducing/eliminating tax breaks, meaning more income is taxable. He seems pretty vague on which particular tax breaks, might get reduced/eliminated.

Cherry picking MSN. "Polls show Mr Romney and Mr Obama in a dead heat with the economy the biggest issue in the campaign. The United States is struggling with 8.3% unemployment and the slowest economic recovery in decades." I think this debate, is fairly focussed on the economy, so would agree that it is the biggest single issue.

And cherry picking MSN again. "While polls show voters view Mr Romney, a multimillionaire former businessman, as more capable of fixing the economy, they find Mr Obama to be more honest and likeable." If the economy is the major single issue, then Romney being seen as more capable of fixing the economy, must have the edge on this major single issue. Obama is more likeable, but less capable of fixing the US economy.

Couldn't you always annul your vote by just cross out the ballot ? So that it counts as annuled?