Next best thing for the US (and perhaps the world)

mizdarby

Straw Poll of voting intentions  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for in 2012 US Elections

• Barack Obama/Democrats
    • Mitt Romney/Republicans
    • Any Other/Third Party such as Libertarian/Green etc
    • All political parties are a waste of my vote

@ Ginny:

From a British point of view we find Obama totally baffling as a (supposed) ally, determined to visit the sins of the fathers on the broadly supportive Brits whilst sucking up to the French who have a very bad case of Europhilia and USAphobia.

What do you mean? Visit the sins of the fathers?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only for Obama 1st 2 years as pressident until the Republican party took control of the house and basically were influenced by radical right wing to filibuster everything and anything Obama was trying to accomplish regaurdless if it would do good for the country or not. So everything that was being put into legislation was shot down or delayed. If Republicans were So patriotic they would work with democrats too and get stuff finished instead of making it their goal to make Obama look bad for the Rebublican party to gain more power and it was at the cost of the American people who end up suffering.

It just like being hired for a new job and then inherit the problems left by the last employees. Before anything was really passed through an extreme political movement took over the republican party duping the American people to vote against their own interests putting the origianl republican party in disarray and excommunicating anyone in the party that didn't agree to go with their new game to just make obama look bad in Office. I think this radical movement was hugely influenced by the rise of sarah palin as being concidered a political big shot that would constantly spread rumors and say things that were blatantly false. Basically the Republican party ended up being hijacked by the Tea Party movement which originally was concidered a grass roots movement only to realize the whole organization became hugely funded by buisness lobbyist over time.

it's really hard to blame Obama when Legislation never makes it to him to sign.

They still had two years of a super majority, two years to execute their own agendas. And what'd they do? Sat on their asses and twiddled their thumbs.

That is entirely the fault of the Democratic party. You think it'd have been any different if a Republican was president and the Dems had a super majority? No.

Both parties are only out for their own gain and don't give a rats ass about the common citizen.

As for the Tea Party cooping the Republican party. lol is all I can say. It's the other way around. The Republicans and their big business backers hijacked the Tea Party.

Partisan politics will tear this country apart if something ain't done soon. Too many people blaming "the other party" for the sins both parties committed.

They still had two years of a super majority, two years to execute their own agendas. And what'd they do? Sat on their asses and twiddled their thumbs.

That is entirely the fault of the Democratic party. You think it'd have been any different if a Republican was president and the Dems had a super majority? No.

Both parties are only out for their own gain and don't give a rats ass about the common citizen.

As for the Tea Party cooping the Republican party. lol is all I can say. It's the other way around. The Republicans and their big business backers hijacked the Tea Party.

Partisan politics will tear this country apart if something ain't done soon. Too many people blaming "the other party" for the sins both parties committed.

The two year the democrates had control of the house legislation was still being written. Any pressidents 1st years in office has to clean up the crap the last pressident left behind if it is succeeded by their oppositional party. Sadly The last pressident was so bad it really didn't matter who took control the next presidency because george w bush screwed America over economically big time in the end (and remember bush is a republican).

I can blame the republican party for filibustering legislation for months on end because it happened. I would have more respect for the republican party now if they didn't decide during a very very bad economic time to just "try" to screw over the oppositional party. The people just end up suffering. I was even hoping that the republican party could have found someone for thier ticket that would make sense since clearly America isn't fully ready for a Black pressident as much as i really like Obama as pressident.

But after watching the Republican National convention, I basically spent hours watching a load of crap and lies for what the republican party has to offer for their ticket this year.

Sadly the lesser of the two evils this year for me would be to vote for obama agian. And thats pretty sad since the Democratic National convention hasn't even started yet.

Edited by colourwheel

Both parties have trouble operating within the confines of the truth. But, that's really nothing new. Politicians have been lying as long as there has been politicians. The trouble is, a fairly large segment of the population, from both parties, accept what the party leaders say as gospel, even when the obvious lies are pointed out on national television.... from multiple sources. The whole "my party, right or wrong, but, MY PARTY" mindset is going to be the death of america.

When Obama was elected, partisan politicing took on a whole new meaning. The republicans main goal was to make sure that Obama didn't really accomplish anything significant. They wanted him to look bad so the next round of elections would theoretically have the american public up in arms against him. There was a rather large, and vocal, campaign based on this, that attempted to show Obama as inept, ineffective, and basically as a 'bad president'. For the republicans, it was pretty much effective, but, they didn't like him to begin with, so, no surprise there..... for the dems... yeah, there are a lot of dems out there that are seriously disappointed with how things are going, but, most of them blame the republicans for their obstructionist ways.....

Colourwheel is correct on his point about all this being at the expense of the american public. The politicians are all sitting pretty, with their big bucks..... (most of them are 1%ers.....) its the middle class that is suffering most.

For the most part, I think Obama did indeed waste his first two years in office. Sure, he had a major mess to clean up from the previous administration, but, he went after symptoms of a larger ill, while ignoring the disease itself. The "health care" bill was a waste of time, and effort. If he wanted folks to have insurance, he should have concentrated on getting our economy going again, so that folks would actually have JOBS. You know, the places that actually provided insurance for all those folks?

Of course, I am a firm believer that the mere act of being elected to public office decreases a person I.Q. by at least 50%...... I don't really have any other explanation for the sheer stupidity that comes out of washington, regardless of which party is in control. :D

This is the best article I have read on the upcoming elections and the necessity of the correct winner in order for things to get better.

No reasonably intelligent person can deny this. All you have to do is look at the way the Other Side has been running its campaign. Instead of focusing on the big issues that are important to the American People, it has fired a relentlessly negative barrage of distortions, misrepresentations, and flat-out lies.

Just look at the Other Side’s latest commercial, which take a perfectly reasonable statement by the candidate for My Side completely out of context to make it seem as if he is saying something nefarious. This just shows you how desperate the Other Side is and how willing it is to mislead the American People.

The Other Side also has been hammering away at My Side to release certain documents that have nothing to do with anything, and making all sorts of outrageous accusations about what might be in them. Meanwhile, the Other Side has stonewalled perfectly reasonable requests to release its own documents that would expose some very embarrassing details if anybody ever found out what was in them. This just shows you what a bunch of hypocrites they are.

Naturally, the media won’t report any of this. Major newspapers and cable networks jump all over anything they think will make My Side look bad. Yet they completely ignore critically important and incredibly relevant information that would be devastating to the Other Side if it could ever be verified.

I will admit the candidates for My Side do make occasional blunders. These usually happen at the end of exhausting 19-hour days and are perfectly understandable. Our leaders are only human, after all. Nevertheless, the Other Side inevitably makes a big fat deal out of these trivial gaffes, while completely ignoring its own candidates’ incredibly thoughtless and stupid remarks – remarks that reveal the Other Side’s true nature, which is genuinely frightening.

My Side has produced a visionary program that will get the economy moving, put the American People back to work, strengthen national security, return fiscal integrity to Washington, and restore our standing in the international community. What does the Other Side have to offer? Nothing but the same old disproven, discredited policies that got us into our current mess in the first place.

Don’t take my word for it, though. I recently read about an analysis by an independent, nonpartisan organization that supports My Side. It proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that everything I have been saying about the Other Side was true all along. Of course, the Other Side refuses to acknowledge any of this. It is too busy cranking out so-called studies by so-called experts who are actually nothing but partisan hacks. This just shows you that the Other Side lives in its own little echo chamber and refuses to listen to anyone who has not already drunk its Kool-Aid.

Let’s face it: The Other Side is held hostage by a radical, failed ideology. I have been doing some research on the Internet, and I have learned this ideology was developed by a very obscure but nonetheless profoundly influential writer with a strange-sounding name who enjoyed brief celebrity several decades ago. If you look carefully, you can trace nearly all the Other Side’s policies for the past half-century back to the writings of this one person.

To be sure, the Other Side also has been influenced by its powerful supporters. These include a reclusive billionaire who has funded a number of organizations far outside the political mainstream; several politicians who have said outrageous things over the years; and an alarmingly large number of completely clueless ordinary Americans who are being used as tools and don’t even know it.

These people are really pathetic, too. The other day I saw a YouTube video in which My Side sent an investigator and a cameraman to a rally being held by the Other Side, where the investigator proceeded to ask some real zingers. It was hilarious! First off, the people at the rally wore T-shirts with all kinds of lame messages that they actually thought were really clever. Plus, many of the people who were interviewed were overweight, sweaty, flushed, and generally not very attractive. But what was really funny was how stupid they were. There is no way anyone could watch that video and not come away convinced the people on My Side are smarter, and that My Side is therefore right about everything.

Besides, it’s clear that the people on the Other Side are driven by mindless anger – unlike My Side, which is filled with passionate idealism and righteous indignation. That indignation, I hasten to add, is entirely justified. I have read several articles in publications that support My Side that expose what a truly dangerous group the Other Side is, and how thoroughly committed it is to imposing its radical, failed agenda on the rest of us.

That is why I believe 2012 is, without a doubt, the defining election of our lifetime. The difference between My Side and the Other Side could not be greater. That is why it absolutely must win on November 6.

A compelling arguement that puts it all into perspective.

This is the best article I have read on the upcoming elections and the necessity of the correct winner in order for things to get better.

No reasonably intelligent person can deny this. All you have to do is look at the way the Other Side has been running its campaign. Instead of focusing on the big issues that are important to the American People, it has fired a relentlessly negative barrage of distortions, misrepresentations, and flat-out lies.

Just look at the Other Side's latest commercial, which take a perfectly reasonable statement by the candidate for My Side completely out of context to make it seem as if he is saying something nefarious. This just shows you how desperate the Other Side is and how willing it is to mislead the American People.

The Other Side also has been hammering away at My Side to release certain documents that have nothing to do with anything, and making all sorts of outrageous accusations about what might be in them. Meanwhile, the Other Side has stonewalled perfectly reasonable requests to release its own documents that would expose some very embarrassing details if anybody ever found out what was in them. This just shows you what a bunch of hypocrites they are.

Naturally, the media won't report any of this. Major newspapers and cable networks jump all over anything they think will make My Side look bad. Yet they completely ignore critically important and incredibly relevant information that would be devastating to the Other Side if it could ever be verified.

I will admit the candidates for My Side do make occasional blunders. These usually happen at the end of exhausting 19-hour days and are perfectly understandable. Our leaders are only human, after all. Nevertheless, the Other Side inevitably makes a big fat deal out of these trivial gaffes, while completely ignoring its own candidates' incredibly thoughtless and stupid remarks – remarks that reveal the Other Side's true nature, which is genuinely frightening.

My Side has produced a visionary program that will get the economy moving, put the American People back to work, strengthen national security, return fiscal integrity to Washington, and restore our standing in the international community. What does the Other Side have to offer? Nothing but the same old disproven, discredited policies that got us into our current mess in the first place.

Don't take my word for it, though. I recently read about an analysis by an independent, nonpartisan organization that supports My Side. It proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that everything I have been saying about the Other Side was true all along. Of course, the Other Side refuses to acknowledge any of this. It is too busy cranking out so-called studies by so-called experts who are actually nothing but partisan hacks. This just shows you that the Other Side lives in its own little echo chamber and refuses to listen to anyone who has not already drunk its Kool-Aid.

Let's face it: The Other Side is held hostage by a radical, failed ideology. I have been doing some research on the Internet, and I have learned this ideology was developed by a very obscure but nonetheless profoundly influential writer with a strange-sounding name who enjoyed brief celebrity several decades ago. If you look carefully, you can trace nearly all the Other Side's policies for the past half-century back to the writings of this one person.

To be sure, the Other Side also has been influenced by its powerful supporters. These include a reclusive billionaire who has funded a number of organizations far outside the political mainstream; several politicians who have said outrageous things over the years; and an alarmingly large number of completely clueless ordinary Americans who are being used as tools and don't even know it.

These people are really pathetic, too. The other day I saw a YouTube video in which My Side sent an investigator and a cameraman to a rally being held by the Other Side, where the investigator proceeded to ask some real zingers. It was hilarious! First off, the people at the rally wore T-shirts with all kinds of lame messages that they actually thought were really clever. Plus, many of the people who were interviewed were overweight, sweaty, flushed, and generally not very attractive. But what was really funny was how stupid they were. There is no way anyone could watch that video and not come away convinced the people on My Side are smarter, and that My Side is therefore right about everything.

Besides, it's clear that the people on the Other Side are driven by mindless anger – unlike My Side, which is filled with passionate idealism and righteous indignation. That indignation, I hasten to add, is entirely justified. I have read several articles in publications that support My Side that expose what a truly dangerous group the Other Side is, and how thoroughly committed it is to imposing its radical, failed agenda on the rest of us.

That is why I believe 2012 is, without a doubt, the defining election of our lifetime. The difference between My Side and the Other Side could not be greater. That is why it absolutely must win on November 6.

A compelling arguement that puts it all into perspective.

And the funniest part is, you can use this from EITHER side, and it is equally applicable... which I am sure is exactly what the author had in mind.....

Thanks Tidus, I think that sums up quite nicely the elections this year. What amazes me is, there are a fair few folks that can see this is precisely what is happening, yet they don't seem to be doing anything about it.... hardly even raising their voices..... conspiracy???? Oh, wait... wrong thread..... Sorry. :)

The rate of unemployment in the US has been over 8% since Feb 2009, the longest stretch of high unemployment in the US since the great depression. So as an outsider looking in, I would say the creation of jobs/creation of prosperity should be the number one factor in choosing the next President. I belong to the school of thought, that believes cutting the deficit is the best way to achieving this end, although many will believe that it is better to spend your way into job creation, through stimulus packages and tax rates. Surprisingly, to myself at least, the Libertarians seem to be inclined towards cutting the deficit, whilst neither of the main two parties are. Personally I believe both the Republican Party and Democratic Party have great qualities, shame neither of them have great leaders. Obama has been President throughout the extended period of high unemployment, so clearly his policy direction has not been able to create work, and I suspect Romney will not fare any better. Pity, as I originally said, from a European point of view, I dearly hope the US get a President that can make the US a healthy economy again.

I have little to no faith in either Obama or Romney, as Talking Heads put in their song lyric "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was". Hoping by 2016, that a man/woman with vision and a plan to get America working, appears to save the day.

The rate of unemployment in the US has been over 8% since Feb 2009, the longest stretch of high unemployment in the US since the great depression. So as an outsider looking in, I would say the creation of jobs/creation of prosperity should be the number one factor in choosing the next President. I belong to the school of thought, that believes cutting the deficit is the best way to achieving this end, although many will believe that it is better to spend your way into job creation, through stimulus packages and tax rates. Surprisingly, to myself at least, the Libertarians seem to be inclined towards cutting the deficit, whilst neither of the main two parties are. Personally I believe both the Republican Party and Democratic Party have great qualities, shame neither of them have great leaders. Obama has been President throughout the extended period of high unemployment, so clearly his policy direction has not been able to create work, and I suspect Romney will not fare any better. Pity, as I originally said, from a European point of view, I dearly hope the US get a President that can make the US a healthy economy again.

I have little to no faith in either Obama or Romney, as Talking Heads put in their song lyric "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was". Hoping by 2016, that a man/woman with vision and a plan to get America working, appears to save the day.

Obama has not been working very hard on the job creation aspect of things..... it seems that 'the economy' always takes a back seat to 'other high-priority issues', like, federally mandated health insurance.... once the elections are over. Our government seems for more concerned about what's going on in other countries, than they do what's happening right here at home. This is pretty typical behavior though. I have seen it many times in the past.

Romney wants to use the same old tried and failed methods his predecessors kept harping on, and implementing, that never seemed to have much of an affect....... tax cuts have been in place for more than a decade, and we have gotten more and more of them (well, ok, the rich, and corporations have gotten tax cuts....) but, if they are creating any jobs, they sure aren't here at home. I am sure that china appreciates the business though.....

Quite frankly, I don't think either of them are worth a fart in the wind....... I am going to vote for some third-party candidate... see what happens.

I was watching Mitt Romney's speech at the NAACP National Convention on youtube. It was obvious why he was there. He was trying to get the Black minority vote since his campaign was lagging way behind in the polls. I think that speech alone already killed any chance of him getting any black votes. He probably fired his political advisors that day after his speech because you don't go to a convention full of blacks who have an already 97% rating for obama and not expect to get booed at when mentioning if they elected him pressident he would get rid of "Obama care". I just think in general the republican party has become looney. I don't even know what his advisors were thinking about even making a speech there. He basically lost the 3% undecided.

A canidate must be pretty desperate for black minority votes to do what he did. It totally back fired the moment he mentioned he would get rid of "Obama care". Then going off in a tangent not even related to what his campaign is about saying something about he will promiss to make it so black children can get into better schools in america. lol

Honestly if he wouldn't have even brought it up "Obama care" he could have atleast gotten that 1-3% undecided his advisors wanted him to get, even if his speech was a total lie in the 1st place. I felt his speech was hollow and very disingenuous trying to relate to the whole crowd there.