Compatibility re: Custom Races in Dawnguard

budcat

Hello,

My mod needs to be made compatible with Dawnguard. I was wondering if any mod authors out there who have created a custom race and have gotten it to work with Dawnguard could tell me what changes I need to make in order to make it work without issue. I'll do the leg work myself I just don't have any clue where to start. I know others have added the vampire keyword to the custom races but I'm concerned that will break the mod in regard to certain checks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Budcat

Edited by budcat

For anyone interested I think I may have made a little progress on this subject.

In Dawnguard, there is a compiled script: playervampirequestscript.pex. I modified the source .psc to include my custom races in the race checks and race conversions. I am not sure how much this encompasses and how much it resolves the issue, but the script compiled and has been running in my game without issue. I encourage others working on this subject to alter theirs similarly and tell me their findings. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by budcat

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

For those of you who are interested, I have finished making my mod compatible with Dawnguard, my custom races can feed and transform into a Vampire Lord.

To do so with any custom race you have to find your actual races name in the Creation Kit and make sure it has a Vampire race as well. (i.e. BretonRace and BretonRaceVampire).

Amend the playervampirequest script in three locations to include the new races. There are three race checks which need amended by including the custom races.

To make your custom races capable of turning into werewolves, modify the companionhousekeeping script in two locations, where race checks occur. Beast Form should then work properly.

It is simply a matter of following the format of the original code and adding the missing information.

These have both been tested on Skyrim v1.9 and work flawlessly.

Edited by budcat

Thats cool :) though you can ofcourse see the problem with this can't you. If I create a race and alter a default files to include my race as a vampire, then bill over there makes his own race, and mods the same files to include his race as a vampire... next Ted comes along and downloads both races, only 1 of them will function as a vampire, the last race he downloaded. See I've just started over with Skyrim, and am playing as a race I downloaded some time ago, I have a number of mod races and couldn't tell you which was the last I downloaded, if each race modified a default file this way, only the last race installed would work as a vampire, so I'm yet to see what happens when I become a vampire this time round, though I don't expect there will be any issues since I use Better Vampires.

So it's really good work in following the scripts through to find the solution for yourself, but probably still needs more work to make sure that all custom races play nicely together as vampires.

Have you tried using the Better Vampires function to enable an addon race to function as a vampire? It seems to be a better method if it's working because it should make the needed changes for the race you are currently using as a player and so isn't affected by modders altering a default file, and infact if Better Vampires makes the same changes to the current player race as you are making, your mod would actually break Better Vampires if I installed your race.

Just some thoughts anyway :) :thumbsup:

Nat

Yeah, I anticipated the compatibility issue. It kept me from following through with this solution for a couple of months. I tossed around ideas for a universal fix for a while and then decided it was too complicated.

My solution was to create the scripts as an optional additional "mod" unto itself, so when my custom races are not going to be in use or shapeshifting the script mod can be deactivated without deactivating the main mod and risk corrupting any saves.

Unfortunately I feel at the end of the day I can only worry about my own work. So rather than struggle over making my mod work universally with any other mod, I just wanted my mod to work. I'm personally not aware of whether or not Better Vampires already solved this issue for my mod, and if it did, very good, but from the comments around the Nexus I'm feeling most people are not experiencing repeatable functionality. This is the simplest, fool-proof 100%-working-all-the-time method I have found.

People using multiple custom races should really learn to modify the scripts themselves, as it requires no ability other than to make some simple additions following the syntax surrounding them. I couldn't create a script in Papyrus from scratch to save my life.

Modifying the script to include every custom race you have mods for should make it ready to go.

All that is needed is the GECK script editor and the Creation Kit to compile.

Edited by budcat

Sounds cool to me budcat, I fully understand not being able to worry about other peoples work, there's so much out there and more every day it'd be a full time job just trying to keep up and not something you should be responsible for!

You're working in areas I've only just started to look at, ie making specific changes to races and or quests and scripts to make them function the way I want them to, so you're way more experienced than I am at this and I tip my hat at you finding this method, but I fully agree, if you sit down and work though it logically it doesn't usually take much to see what you need to do and more people should give it a try. Made me wonder though, it sounds like it could possibly be put together in such a way as to make it automated either through spell or MCM config to act upon the current player race (still too advanced for me to look at right now lol). So, I think it's great you've worked through this and every step like this helps me and others learn more, and more quickly.

:thumbsup: