Changing the colours on spell effects

zombiecurse

I've been looking for video tutorials on how to edit spells color but I have found none so far. If you got a link to a video or a guide that explain how to do this very detailed and step by step, I'll be grateful. I'm a complete noob. I don't understand most of the stuff people are saying here, nor I know where the nif files or textures for spells are located. But if there is a tutorial well explained on how to do this, then even a noob like myself could make it.

I'm coming at you with a video tutorial shortly. This is a lengthy process. That's why most of you are having trouble. I will post a video on my YouTube channel as soon as I get a chance. 401Gaming on YouTube if anyone is interested. I have a subscriber that also wants to see this. I've made a staff mod that shoots white fireballs. Works well.

• 1 month later...

I'm coming at you with a video tutorial shortly. This is a lengthy process. That's why most of you are having trouble. I will post a video on my YouTube channel as soon as I get a chance. 401Gaming on YouTube if anyone is interested. I have a subscriber that also wants to see this. I've made a staff mod that shoots white fireballs. Works well.

Did you managed to make a tutorial about this? I've searched your channel, but couldn't find the specific video.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Alright guys i did it thanks to this guy: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/452?tab=files (you can download the tutorial in the files section)

The tricky part was the AddOnNode value. (the little flames produced at the end of the effect and the sparks effect)

Lets take firesprayfx01.nif for example:

IBBMSes.png

SL4r4Uj.png

So basically when you see an AddOnNode in the nif go in the creation kit and look for the AddOnNode index and the MPS model and change them or, if you want to get rid of those effects remove the BSValueNode Block.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Jay093

• 4 weeks later...

This is actually pretty easy and comes down to very basic texture editing. Using the OPs green Flames spell as an example:

1. Open firesprayfx01.nif. (Or the NIF for whatever spell you want to change.)

2. Look for the NiNode that controls the particle system for the spell. In this case, 97 NiNode > 98 NiParticleSystem

3. Select the system's BSEffectShaderProperty and look for the Greyscale Texture in the block detail window. For this spell, it is textures\effects\gradients\GradFlame01.dds

4. Copy GradFlame01.dds to your Skyrim data folder using proper folder structure, then tint it green using a hue/saturation adjustment layer in PS or similar in Gimp.

5. Merge the adjustment layer and save the dds using DXT5 with alpha, and open Skyrim.

Voila! Green flames. Repeat the process of tinting gradients for the spells inhand, impact, and explosion effects if applicable, as well as the TriShape node for the projectile.

This changes the color of every spell that uses these effects. To make it so only Flames is green, you would have to save your green gradients with a new name, edit all the effect NIFs to reference your green gradient and save them with a new name, then link the new custom effects to Flames using Creation Kit.

Hope this helps someone. :smile:

This works for me and does not result in the problem the OP stated in his first post. Perhaps he filled the texture with flat green instead of tinting the gradient?

Just a quick addendum to this, if anyone's having issues converting back to dds with gimp with the textures being big blocks, dont save the dds as dxt5 with alpha, save it as none. That got my alpha channel to actually work. Hope this helps anyone lurking in this thread in 2019!