Changing the colours on spell effects

zombiecurse

@zombiecurse: great effort! :thumbsup: +1

Thanks man, much appreciated. Same to you on the birds mod. I've been eyeing that up all day at work to install when I get home.

Also, I guess I forgot to post this here, but I did get the green flames into Skyrim. If anyone wants to take a look, they can be downloaded as part of my spells mod at: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23130/

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This is actually pretty easy and comes down to very basic texture editing. Using the OPs green Flames spell as an example:

1. Open firesprayfx01.nif. (Or the NIF for whatever spell you want to change.)

2. Look for the NiNode that controls the particle system for the spell. In this case, 97 NiNode > 98 NiParticleSystem

3. Select the system's BSEffectShaderProperty and look for the Greyscale Texture in the block detail window. For this spell, it is textures\effects\gradients\GradFlame01.dds

4. Copy GradFlame01.dds to your Skyrim data folder using proper folder structure, then tint it green using a hue/saturation adjustment layer in PS or similar in Gimp.

5. Merge the adjustment layer and save the dds using DXT5 with alpha, and open Skyrim.

Voila! Green flames. Repeat the process of tinting gradients for the spells inhand, impact, and explosion effects if applicable, as well as the TriShape node for the projectile.

This changes the color of every spell that uses these effects. To make it so only Flames is green, you would have to save your green gradients with a new name, edit all the effect NIFs to reference your green gradient and save them with a new name, then link the new custom effects to Flames using Creation Kit.

Hope this helps someone. :smile:

This works for me and does not result in the problem the OP stated in his first post. Perhaps he filled the texture with flat green instead of tinting the gradient?

This is actually pretty easy and comes down to very basic texture editing. Using the OPs green Flames spell as an example:

1. Open firesprayfx01.nif. (Or the NIF for whatever spell you want to change.)

2. Look for the NiNode that controls the particle system for the spell. In this case, 97 NiNode > 98 NiParticleSystem

3. Select the system's BSEffectShaderProperty and look for the Greyscale Texture in the block detail window. For this spell, it is textures\effects\gradients\GradFlame01.dds

4. Copy GradFlame01.dds to your Skyrim data folder using proper folder structure, then tint it green using a hue/saturation adjustment layer in PS or similar in Gimp.

5. Merge the adjustment layer and save the dds using DXT5 with alpha, and open Skyrim.

Voila! Green flames. Repeat the process of tinting gradients for the spells inhand, impact, and explosion effects if applicable, as well as the TriShape node for the projectile.

This changes the color of every spell that uses these effects. To make it so only Flames is green, you would have to save your green gradients with a new name, edit all the effect NIFs to reference your green gradient and save them with a new name, then link the new custom effects to Flames using Creation Kit.

Hope this helps someone. :smile:

This works for me and does not result in the problem the OP stated in his first post. Perhaps he filled the texture with flat green instead of tinting the gradient?

What do you mean by "proper folder structure"?

• 9 months later...

I do not know if anyone will read this, but in case you do, would that step-by-step process REPLACE the flame textures, or an additional version of flames so that it could be applied to other spells without replacing the vanilla spell?

I believe that this

This changes the color of every spell that uses these effects.

means it would replace the flames texture, and this

To make it so only Flames is green, you would have to save your green gradients with a new name, edit all the effect NIFs to reference your green gradient and save them with a new name, then link the new custom effects to Flames using Creation Kit.

is the process for what (I presume) you want to do, apply the different-colored effects to a new spell.

To make it so only Flames is green, you would have to save your green gradients with a new name, edit all the effect NIFs to reference your green gradient and save them with a new name, then link the new custom effects to Flames using Creation Kit.

is the process for what (I presume) you want to do, apply the different-colored effects to a new spell.

Do you have any idea on how exactly to do that last step? When I look for the new effects/gradients in the CK, i cannot find them.

Edited by SmilingJack2

• 7 months later...