PLEASE help: oblivion.exe*32 process doesn't shut down

i started playing oblivion again recently and for whatever reason, the game won't fully quit anymore. i'm using windows 7.

task manager lists Oblivion.exe*32 process still running any time i quit the game, no matter how i quit it. it causes steam AND vortex to believe the program is still running so i can't do anything else in either program.

i tried ending the process but that did nothing, steam still said the game was running. the only solution i have is to restart my entire computer EVERY single time i quit the game. i've tried using oblivion stutter fix since that was recommended to help, but it didn't....seem to make much of an impact on this specific problem. vortex and steam still say the game is running but if i launch the game from vortex instead of steam, only vortex will say the game is still running. and, of course, the oblivion.exe*32 process is still running even if, for whatever reason, both or either launcher properly say it's not.

i'm starting to go a little crazy, i've googled as best to my ability and i can't find a problem ANYTHING remotely like this.

okay well. good news/bad news.

good news, vortex and steam seem to correctly recognize oblivion as being closed.

bad news, oblivion.exe*32 still runs in the background. and despite using less than 1GB ram my pc fans seem to be just going absolutely nuts as if it were still running the full program. they only stop if i manually end this specific process.

i used OBSE Tester to make sure obse was running correctly, something the Fast Exit mod requires, and it says it's running fine. but oblivion still does not close. i really don't like having to force end processes that end in *32 for i hope is obvious reasons

Edited by CentipedeLimbo

This is happening with my Steam version of oblivion as well. My gaming machine is an old Xeon workstation with dual quad core processors and all eight cores will run at 80-90% load after quitting Oblivion and they will keep running like that for hours if I let them. I have no idea what it is they've found to churn over so intensely and I have to reboot the computer to get them to stop.

Why do you find it so annoying having to close Oblivion though the task manager?

Apart for the fact it doesn't record the changes your bring in the options this method doesn't have any downside.

well... okay, this is gonna sound kind of (really) stupid, and you will no longer believe in my computer competency, but i was always told ending processes via task manager (either by the End Task tab or End Process tab) could have ill-effects on the computer in the long term, and of course anything with the *32 tag at the end is gonna give me a modicum of doubt for the safety of it. BUT i mean, if ending the process really doesn't do any harm then, uhh, i guess that's fine then. and the fast exit and oblivion stutter mods have improved the game's general performance and occasional ctds i was getting so it wasn't a total waste.

i started playing oblivion again recently and for whatever reason, the game won't fully quit anymore. i'm using windows 7.

task manager lists Oblivion.exe*32 process still running any time i quit the game, no matter how i quit it. it causes steam AND vortex to believe the program is still running so i can't do anything else in either program.

i tried ending the process but that did nothing, steam still said the game was running. the only solution i have is to restart my entire computer EVERY single time i quit the game. i've tried using oblivion stutter fix since that was recommended to help, but it didn't....seem to make much of an impact on this specific problem. vortex and steam still say the game is running but if i launch the game from vortex instead of steam, only vortex will say the game is still running. and, of course, the oblivion.exe*32 process is still running even if, for whatever reason, both or either launcher properly say it's not.

i'm starting to go a little crazy, i've googled as best to my ability and i can't find a problem ANYTHING remotely like this.

That seems to be normal and even I had to manually shut Oblivion down by bringing up the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT and press DEL) now and then.

If I'm remembering correctly EngineBugFixes has some tweaks that are supposed to help crash on exit (among many others).

Why do you find it so annoying having to close Oblivion though the task manager?

Apart for the fact it doesn't record the changes your bring in the options this method doesn't have any downside.

well... okay, this is gonna sound kind of (really) stupid, and you will no longer believe in my computer competency, but i was always told ending processes via task manager (either by the End Task tab or End Process tab) could have ill-effects on the computer in the long term, and of course anything with the *32 tag at the end is gonna give me a modicum of doubt for the safety of it. BUT i mean, if ending the process really doesn't do any harm then, uhh, i guess that's fine then. and the fast exit and oblivion stutter mods have improved the game's general performance and occasional ctds i was getting so it wasn't a total waste.

I find it more fantaisist than stupid.