House ESP - change it and lose all?

anubispriest

I know this sounds like a VERY noob question for someone who started modding with Morrowind, but I just don't know the answer completely (and spent 45 minutes going through a 40 page search to no avail):

I downloaded a house mod that is only an .esp file many months ago: one character has finished the main Skyrim game and one has finished Skyrim and Dawnguard completely (except never-ending-radiant quests) so the house is full of the spoils of adventuring for four characters in total. I want to add some portal doors and fix a small bug with a forge being a hair too high (one location I can see under it's edge and up through it). If I don't remove the 400+ items from all the crates, barrels, racks, mannequins, boxes, chests and so on per character, and then modify the file with the CK, will all that stuff be gone? I hear of many warnings about modders stating that before an upgrade (new mod version) of their house/castle/whatever mod the player/user has to clear the house out, upgrade, and then refill it. Is that the case here? I am lazy because the one 100% done character, with all the forging supplies and unique armors & weapons, will weigh 2,000 plus clearing it out.... plus a day of my time to redecorate all the shelves with bugs in jars and so forth.

If yes or no: what is the mechanic behind it? Does Skyrim see a new date of modification on the file and "refresh" everything in the mod?

Thanks in advance for confirming a solid answer on this....

What's important is the name of the mod. If you rename it, then yes you will lose things. If you modify it while keeping the name, you should be able to keep the changes in the save (so long as you don't do something like delete an object from the plugin).

The reason modders tell you to unload your house, then deactivate and upgrade, is because they like restarting from scratch. That's frequently necessary because of the messed up way that the CK works.

Thank you: you have proven me happily wrong.

I figured that moving a few things would be no problem: no stuff move needed. However, I figured that since I am adding a couple of portals that I would end up with enough changes to force Skyrim into thinking it is a different version of the same file, and thus loose everything, even without a name change.

Thank you again.