Ubisoft claims they'll drop the more obnoxious forms of DRM

Rooker75

but resident evil is capcom

IIRC, Ubisoft bought Capcom or atleast distribution rights in North America and Europe.

Regardless, since the games were produced before Ubisoft took ownership of things, it wouldn't be affected by Ubi's DRM policies.

To know what is being talked about here, Google searching for Ubisoft and DRM should probably give you some idea. For most people who have any idea what they're doing with a computer, or who want some rights over the games they pay money for, Ubisoft's policies are about as bad as you can get.

Ubisooft is the only company I stopped buying games from, unless its the older ones like the original Ghost Recon (before the DRM stuff). I think all of the companies should pull their resources together and go after the major pirate groups instead of focusing on DRM. I'm sure they know who they are. If the major pirate groups are shutdown and their members jailed, that'll leave the less expierenced groups., which should slow the movement some.

A lot of people give EA a bad time. Sure, I don't like them, but, Ubisoft is the greater of the two evils. DRM that crosses the line of malware? I never heard of EA doing such a thing. The only EA game that I know that requires a constant internet connection is C&C4. Origin has an offline mode like Steam, so, I assume games are playable offline. Though I uninstalled Origin because C&C Generals 2 was cancelled.

Perhaps the companies can also have search engines look Google block the sites from showing up as search results.

Edited by austen1000

Ubisooft is the only company I stopped buying games from, unless its the older ones like the original Ghost Recon (before the DRM stuff). I think all of the companies should pull their resources together and go after the major pirate groups instead of focusing on DRM. I'm sure they know who they are. If the major pirate groups are shutdown and their members jailed, that'll leave the less expierenced groups., which should slow the movement some.

I don't think you understand just what would be involved with such a thing. A single higher profile group can consist of several dozen members from around the world, and most of them are savy enough to know how to mask their IPs properly with the majority of members knowing how to do everything simply as part of being in that group. The torrents themselves are rarely ever released by the group or endorsed by that group as most groups actually dislike people leaching games and getting the results of their hard work for nothing. Most of these groups only crack games as a means of testing their skills or to share among small groups simply for the sake of being first to crack whatever silly DRM was present. For major releases, you have several large groups as well as smaller independent ones just trying to learn the game, so knocking out even a few groups wouldn't accomplish anything other than delay a release by maybe an hour or so until more people just start forming up. Piracy has become something far more complicated than just some kid in their parents basement copying games to sell to friends.

no DRM does work ever since i got a uplay account those marauding buckaneers have given me and my canoe a wide berth iv managed to haul cotton to the isle of wight unaccosted on more than one occasion .

wha? :ermm:

Lol, real pirates. :)

I'm not sure anything can be worse than Origin actually... Origin was infectious enough to infiltrate half my games, even though they had nothing to do with Origin. I bought Skyrim through Steam (Origin was not involved at all), but after getting my first Origin game (BF3), every time I'd play Skyrim I'd get corrupt files and massive lag. Eventually I noticed that Origin was turning itself on whenever I played ANY game, even ancient ones like Arx Fatalis. It didn't take long to connect the dots, so I uninstalled Origin. After I ran the Origin uninstaller it dragged most of Skyrim's files (including the .exe) with it into the nether, along with stray bits of other games. I can't be totally certain, but there's a huge indication that Origin was to blame, unless it's a massive coincidence that all my problems went away after getting rid of EA's drm.