Skyrim getting really laggy after a few minutes of play

Eilchner

Hey,

I'm experiencing a weird thing when playing Skyrim. After a few minutes of playing, the game gets extremely laggy, the FPS drops to hell and it's unplayable.

My first thought was that my laptop wasn't handling it. I tried lowering the graphics setting to the lowest, still no effect.

Nothing is under heavy load (CPU about 50%, GPU around 60%, GPU memory below 50%, RAM below 40%). Nothing is overheating or throttling either. Any ideas on what could be the cause of it?

Many thanks!

I have a few suggestions, which are kind of my go-tos for troubleshooting. First, restart your computer. It's amazing how many problems a reboot can solve. Next verify your game cache through Steam to make sure that the base game files are good.

Finally, I would suggest looking at your mod order. If you have any mods which might be script heavy, such as those which add new quests, a lot of new dialogue or a bunch of new NPCs (which rely on the game's AI), try disabling those. Start a new game and see how it goes from there.

Always start a new game when you're trouble shooting, because Skyrim stores a surprising amount of stuff in the save files. And speaking of saves, if you have no problems with a new game, it could simply be that the save you're using is borked in some way. Try loading a save from before you started having the problem to see if that one's okay.

In any case, good luck! :smile:

I get micro stuttering every once in awhile. I believe 1 cause is unsorted masters. First few times I cleared dl cashe(in steam)which was making me reboot steam. Last few times I just relaunched computer, which also had me reboot steam, and it also worked. Next time it happens to me I'm just rebooting steam, no clearing dl cashe. I think rebooting steam will do it.

Hey,

I'm experiencing a weird thing when playing Skyrim. After a few minutes of playing, the game gets extremely laggy, the FPS drops to hell and it's unplayable.

My first thought was that my laptop wasn't handling it. I tried lowering the graphics setting to the lowest, still no effect.

Nothing is under heavy load (CPU about 50%, GPU around 60%, GPU memory below 50%, RAM below 40%). Nothing is overheating or throttling either. Any ideas on what could be the cause of it?

Many thanks!

Managed to find the culprit- Realistic Ragdolls and Force was killing my game. After disabling it, smooth as is should be :)

• 2 weeks later...

RagDolls is a good mod. Your problem with it had to be from load order. You didn't have ragdolls load after xpms Skelton? IDK if that would give you lag, but I know that's bad load order

I have no idea what was wrong. I used LOOT for load order, so it should have been fine. I didn't really experiment more on it, just removed the ragdoll mod and it's all good now

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think my old save file from 2012 is buggered, I keep getting flickering when I'm inside caves and a lot of lag when I'm outside of cities including crashes. Looks like I'll have to start a new game which is a pain in the backside but there's nothing else that can be done.

Edited by ajs089