Fallout 1, 2, 3, 4 and New Vegas ways to complete a quest

leisuresuitberry

This is a discussion to make improvements on Fallout 5.

I played Fallout 1 and 2 (Restoration Project).

I think Fallout 2 is a super polished game with the restoration project (almost perfect game). I will rate it as 98/100.

I also replay Fallout 4 (HONESTLY, the story is not bad, so why do everyone say FO4 is bad).

It is because you cannot solve quests in multiple or in hilarious creative ways.

For example:

Fallout 1, you can betray ANY FACTION or even join the supermutant army. Every quest you do will have implications on how you do it.

Fallout 2, you can go the gungho way and kill a mob boss in New Reno. You can also sleep with his wife or daughter, then go to his safe, rob him silly, then plant explosives on the safe and then kill him in a sneaky way. LOL, it is this type of experience I am addicted to.

Fallout 3, if you are clever or evil enough, you can get all quest rewards by betraying the quest giver. In the Replicated Man quest, you can tell Harkness he is a synth and get the super cool unique weapon. Betray him to the Institute for a super cool perk. Then kill the quest giver and save Harkness and ROB the corpses in an evil and hilarious way.

Fallout New Vegas: In the first major quest, you can size with Goodsprings and her militia or you can side with the bad guys. These two options have grave implications on the quest endings. Or you can go the coward way, side with Goodsprings but go on sneak mode and hide in one corner WITHOUT killing anyone (best option).

In Fallout 4, most of the quests are simple and linear, resulting in no-replayability after a few walkthroughs.

My advice to Bethesda is to checkout Fallout 2 and her quests (which YOU CAN put a BOMB in a child and use this kid to KILL HIS DAD, LOL, which is evil and has implications on the ending).

Sleeping with a woman (WITHOUT using condom) will result in thousands of people's lives changing due to your laziness or having no cash to buy a condom.

For example, Fallout 4 Nuka-World, you can actually make the raiders into a truly evil faction (instead of useless parasites).

You can give them the option to make drug labs (which is extremely evil and make settlers work as drug addicts).

You can have the option to make settlers into prostitutes (which is extremely evil, I don't know anything more evil than that).

In the beginning of Fallout 4, you should give players the option to join the raiders (which will have grave implications on finding your character's son).

Or you can give player a sneaky option to betray the raiders or go through the backdoor and assault the raiders in a surprise manner.

I hope Bethesda see this (make sure your quests HAVE MULTIPLE HILARIOUS OPTIONS to finish, not a linear path.

Edited by leisuresuitberry

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but for me the FO4 main story wouldn't be bad... if it were a movie.

As you've noticed in your own examples above, you don't necessarily feel much connection to an npc just because you've just met them 5 minutes ago. The fact that, say, you've talked to a mob boss in New Reno a couple of times and maybe done a quest for him, doesn't do much to stop you from ploughing his daughter and planting an explosive in his safe. If anyone told you that now it's your character's goal in life, above and beyond everything else, to save that guy because you had three conversations with him, you'd probably think they're off their pills.

Yet FO4 makes that kind of assumption for me. And more than once. Starting with showing me a spouse and an ugly animatronic baby out of nowhere, and expecting me to have them at the top of my list from then on because I had exactly two conversations with them. WTH, seriously?

And I'd think that maybe I'm just a little psycho, but after watching several Let's Plays on YouTube, I haven't seen anyone take it more seriously. More than one youtuber actually went, "ah, good, means I can still romance other npcs" when the spouse got shot in the head. Instead of conveying a sense of purpose and motivation, it was actually a RELIEF that that character gets shot.

That seems a pretty epic fail to me right there.

That seems a pretty epic fail to me right there.

They way they went about it, certainly. The exposition is way to short to feel some kind of attachment. FO3,. another story based on aiding and saving family, handled it better.

To tell the truth, I didn't jump the hype train before FO4 came out and didn't read much about the game, didn't watch trailers either. So I was convinced, I would be playing the infant and not a parent. Even in my first playthrough there was zero attachment.

Well, it doesn't even have to be family, really. Even in FO4 I was more attached to, say, Valentine than I was to my supposed baby and wife. When HE needed to avenge his murdered fiancee, I was like, sure, buddy, anything for you. I'll comb as many locations as you need, shoot anyone you need shot. Just point me at them. My own shot wife, meh, let's leave that for later.

Yes, well, that's a big IF. I mean, if Beth listened to what people were ACTUALLY asking for, we wouldn't have Fallout 76 :tongue:

Well, I for one, don't have it. The first Bethesda game I didn't buy since Morrowind. That's the only way to make a corporation listen. I mean, if a considerable amount of people refrain to buy.

Edited by cossayos

The questlines in fallout 1 were pretty short, looking back, they were over after one or two missions and then you'd move on. Joining the supermutants was kind of just there "for the lols" because it's not really a real game path. But it started an era of smart RPGs that have not been utilized as much as I had expected back in the 90's when I first played Fallout. I'd thought it had set a new bar that everyone else would have to match, or else.

New Vegas and Fallout 4 are special, because you really can "join the bad guys" or even decide that they aren't "the bad guys." Fallout 1, 2, and 3 -- not so much. There were plenty of minor factions, sure, but the main "good guys who saves the world" was your set path, more or less -- there was nothing like the choice of Minutemen vs Raiders/Brotherhood/etc or Legion vs NCR level of choice in those earlier games. Should have been, of course -- the Enclave should have been a joinable faction -- anything to kick those mary-sue goody-goody brotherhoods.
And with a mod or two, you can kill Preston and go on a mad rampage that would make a New Vegas Fiend lose his lunch -- as part of the plot. It's got a lot of choice as to who you want to put in charge when the smoke clears. Whether or not the epilogue says this in detail doesn't change anything -- something happened or didn't happen, even if the epilogue doesn't mention it. If you ruin or save the world, congrats. It's save or ruined, even with or without an epilogue. A lot of games, especially in the past, didn't have an epilogue, but you still knew you'd killed the Dark Lord at the bottom of the dungeon, even if you didn't have any ending slides saying so. Its better when the epilogue notices what you did (early fallouts were really detailed in this regard) but it's not strictly necessary. Change happened, with or without the narrator knowing it.

Elder scrolls really, really likes to start you off in prison. It doesn't say why you're there, or even if you're guilty,but I'm pretty sure it's because it lets you truly decide for yourself who you are. No fallout game gives that much freedom via a vague origin (although some much less than others, fallout 4 went too far in this I think.)

I recall seeing somewhere that Bethesda has admitted that they fully expect you to mod the game to "fix" the things you don't like about it. Maybe I'll go looking for the link if I have to, but not right now.
That seems lazy on their part on one hand, and remarkable on the other, because no other games allow for (OR NEED) so much user-made fixing. But at least the fixes are there, unlike some games that, if broken, will stay that way forever. I learned this so long ago with Bethesda, so by the time Fallout 4 came along, I was already prepared with the knowledge that I was going to absolutely need to mod it, so it didn't upset me as much as everyone else who was caught off-guard by its vanilla state.