Will pay you US$250 to make a decent motion blur mod

volnaiskra

UPDATE: Ok, judging by IndigoNeko's educated explanation, decent motion blur is just not going to happen. Unless someone knows something that IndigoNeko doesn't, please consider this offer closed :(

I consider motion blur to be almost essential in a top-tier game (especially one with variable framerates like Skyrim), and I'm shocked that no one's modded into Skyrim yet. Both Fallout 3 and FalloutNV had decent motion blur mods, and I loved them.

I really want motion blur, so I'm offering $250 to the first person to make a decent one. There are a few (very reasonable!) requirements. Don't worry, I will not try and use these as loopholes to avoid paying up. I very much WANT to pay you, because I very much WANT motion blur. But I require that the motion blur mod:

1. does not break or cause CTD's on my machine (extremely unlikely, but just saying)

2. must work well with a gamepad (this simply means that the blur should activate at moderate speeds as well as very fast speeds. For example, it takes a second or so to do a 180 spin with a gamepad, whereas it can be done in almost an instant with a mouse - the mod should work well for both types of movement). The Witcher 2 is a good example of motion blur that looks fantastic with both mouse and gamepad.

3. Must be to a decent level of quality. Don't worry, I'm not expecting Crysis. However, it must function effectively and look significantly blurred. Two examples of poor motion blur are Half Life 2 Episode 2 (it's barely noticeable, yet increasing its intensity via the console makes movement become very jerky and delayed) and Alpha Protocol (looks weird and glitchy rather than blurred - instead of a softening of the image, it looks like a series of sharp ghosting effects). Like I said, there were motion blur mods for both Fallout3 and FalloutNV that did the job quite adequately, so this should be possible for Skyrim too.

4. May be uploaded elsewhere, but must also be uploaded at the Nexus.

5. Must be done within a reasonable amount of time. I'm not expecting it next week, but neither do I want it in 6 months. PM me to work something out.

All copyright, authorship, publishing rights, etc. etc. will belong to you, the author. I just want to use it! If interested, please respond via this thread or PM. (Also, if anyone else loves motion blur like me and is willing to contribute to the reward to make it even more enticing, let me know)

You're not the only one who wants motion blur. I want it, and so does MTindle, and practically every hardcore ENB modder out there. There's a few problems with it though.

It all revolves around technical limitations. Since I'm a master's degree candidate in comp. sci. specializing in graphics, I'm probably a bit more aware of these limitations than anyone else. Let me give you a bit of background information that may help to explain it.

There are two types of motion blur: Camera-based and Object-based.

Camera-based motion blur is a simple distortion of the screen based upon how quickly the camera moves throughout the scene. It basically involves "smearing" brighter colors in the framebuffer (the final rendered screen) in the direction opposite the camera movement. The algorithm for this would be fairly trivial to implement. This is theoretically possible using ENBSeries, since ENBSeries has access to the framebuffer. However, it would require that ENBSeries be modified to include variables that track mouse movement. On the other hand, this simple motion blur doesn't look particularly good.

Object-based motion blur is extremely sophisticated, and it blurs individual objects based on how quickly they are moving in the scene relative relative to the horizontal and vertical axis of the framebuffer. In order to do Object-based motion blur, you need to have direct access to the original game's object rendering system; This is because each object in the scene be rendered to an individual texture, "blurred" according to it's motion, and then added to the final framebuffer using an "accumulation" technique. It is EXTREMELY hardware intensive if done incorrectly. It is also not possible using ENBSeries, since we do not have direct access to the rendering pipeline, only the final rendered framebuffer.

I hope this explains it to you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Thanks for your explanation!

With camera based, is it possible to leave alone the player (arms in 1st person or whole body in 3rd person) and indiscriminately blur everything else? Or would that require object based blur?

Unfortunately, it's not possible with post-processing technology. There's no way to discriminate between individual objects on the framebuffer without EXTREMELY sophisticated image analysis techniques. Basically the framebuffer is is just a picture of the entire scene. If you apply a post-processing technique to it (such as motion blur) it will apply to the entire image.

With regards to those sophisticated image analysis techniques...There's a few ways this could be accomplished, such as by relying on a depth of field system to sort of "detect" which areas of the scene you're focusing on, and then blur only the areas of the framebuffer which don't correspond to the depth buffer regions that match the focus values. However, this would involve some somewhat complicated coding, and the end result still wouldn't look good. It'd require an awful lot of tweaking to get it to look even remotely decent.

Edited by IndigoNeko

Ok, thanks for elaborating. Oh well, I guess it just won't happen. I was hoping this could be my contribution to the community. I know a lot of people would have enjoyed motion blur, and though I don't have any coding skills, I do have a bit of disposable income, so I figured I could help make it happen. But I guess I should have guessed that if it didn't happen by now, it wasn't because of a lack of motivation :(

• 4 years later...

I'm so sorry for the ultra necro.

but Skyrim reloaded has decent motion blur, there is also an ENB setting to add it too. Nvidia users also have motion blur.

although it blurs everything, including your character

Edited by Dragonborn1511

I just read a thread where someone JUST now, in the past couple days (edit :*month), got banned from the nexus for asking to pay someone to make a mod. I suggest you delete this thread ASAP, before they take nexus mods away from you, too.

Wow, sorry. I thought this was a recent thread, because Dragonborn necro'd it. Sheesh.. i hardly post in the forums so please forgive me (used to mod file comments)

Edited by YngvieMalmsteen

Well, I'd feel pretty bummed if I got banned for this, considering my intention was only ever to enrich the Nexus by helping to provide a good mod....and considering it was 5 years ago :D

Still, it makes me nervous. How do I delete a thread? I couldn't see an option for it.