Windows 7 + Program Files

BoredErica

No. Do NOT install Oblivion to Program Files, period. Windows 7 and Vista stores any data in a separate place, and because Oblivion is an old game, it can get rather confused at times. Uninstall and re-install to somewhere like C:\Games\Oblivion.

No. Do NOT install Oblivion to Program Files, period. Windows 7 and Vista stores any data in a separate place, and because Oblivion is an old game, it can get rather confused at times. Uninstall and re-install to somewhere like C:\Games\Oblivion.

I have installed many mods already though. With UAC off, running as Admin, compatibility mode on, Aero off, seems to run acceptably. Is it worth the trouble of 4-5 hours for a re-install?

Here's a link to bben46's Oblivion reinstall procedure. If you are using the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install. Also don't skip the registry cleaning ... it's important.

Here's an excerpt from the procedure:

For a full reinstall, first you can try to preserve your mods and save games. I recommend that you save them in a new folder with a new name. Create the new folder in C:\Backup_Oblivion - or any other name you will remember, just as long as it is not in the programs folder.

Then copy the data folder where your mods are to the new folder - do not move or erase them, copy them. And in the new folder, rename the \data folder to \olddata. Then copy and rename the folder that has your saved games and Oblivion.ini, C:\documents and settings\your user name\my documents\My Games\oblivion to something like \My games\Old Oblivion - this saves your saved games and the oblivion.ini file.

Now your original saved games & mods are backed up if you want to try to resurrect them later.

Good to see you back in Oblivion Hickory :thumbsup:

Edited by Striker879

Is it worth the trouble of 4-5 hours for a re-install?

Ask yourself that AFTER you run into troubles. :whistling: