Is it worth making a big mod fo Oblivion?

CrazyMotoka

I've been playing Oblivion for months, I played Skyrim, but I got bored of it after some hours and got back to Oblivion. I read some tutorials about Oblivion Construction Set and I'm very interested in making my own quest mod, but I would take months to finish it and I was wondering if everyone would have stopped playing Oblivion by the time I was finished.

What do you guys think? Should I take the time to make my mod, or should I move on and make one for Skyrim?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I know I'd at least look at it. As I mentioned in another post, I'm on my third playthrough, but I've yet to finish the game as two computer both died after logging many hours. Once I'm done, there's a bunch of mods I would love to try and I know that I would at least look at anything new someone decides to make.

To be fair, it's your decision. It's pretty much impossible to tell someone if they should mod for 1 game or another. I myself will be releasing a rather large mod for Oblivion in the next few days though.

I don't doubt it will be pretty cool to see my ideas come to life in the game, but I want other people to play it too. I don't think it's worth it to make a mod if only a few people will be playing it.

To be fair, it's your decision. It's pretty much impossible to tell someone if they should mod for 1 game or another. I myself will be releasing a rather large mod for Oblivion in the next few days though.

I don't doubt it will be pretty cool to see my ideas come to life in the game, but I want other people to play it too. I don't think it's worth it to make a mod if only a few people will be playing it.

Oblivion is not dead, nor will it be in the near future. It's just that Skyrim is the new toy, and is bound to be more popular -- remember that Oblivion has been around for many years, and Morrowind even longer, and people (many people) still play both. If you are only after popularity, then give up, otherwise go ahead and make your mod -- have FUN!

In such case it's rather not worth the "release", in your eyes anyways. Whether or not the "making" is worth it is entirely up to you and only you.

I for one am not modding "for others". I enjoy sharing what I created and am listening to people's requests and wishes during the process, or afterwards. Sometimes with my bigger projects it feels like I'm modding "together with them". But whether I start a mod or not is not a matter of "will anybody use it?" or potential download counts. As a matter of fact, I don't care for downloads or users, I mod for myself, because I want to create the mod.

And I'm still working on my big projects, at every free minute I can gather. I might not be making much progress anymore, but that's the case with all my free time activities as of late. No free time => no modding.

The glib answer is "As long as it takes".

Much will depend on the complexity of the mod vs your current skill and ability to ramp up and learn new things. If you're an accomplished modder in other games you'll perhaps have the skill set to put your shoulder to the wheel and start making progress from day one. If you are just starting out it may be in your best interests to work on either simpler aspects of your idea or pick some simpler ideas from some of the many tutorials available. You'll be less likely to lose interest in a project that doesn't have you throwing up your hands in frustration at every turn.

Edited by Striker879

Oblivion is not dead, nor will it be in the near future. It's just that Skyrim is the new toy, and is bound to be more popular -- remember that Oblivion has been around for many years, and Morrowind even longer, and people (many people) still play both. If you are only after popularity, then give up, otherwise go ahead and make your mod -- have FUN!

Hickory is correct here. I'm an avid Civilization IV fan and somewhat recently Civ V was released. Plenty of people still play III and IV, but the new game demands attention. However, if you go to the boards for Civ IV, there are still plenty and I mean plenty of people who are discussing the game, strategies, variations and so on.

I'm glad to hear that you're going through with you plans to build a mod. Make sure to link us when you're done so we can have a look.