Bows (specifically) are completely inaccurate

anjenthedog

Hi,

Early on when I first began playing skyrim, the bows worked. If I shot at something, the arrows came at least close to the target. I installed some mod that early on that altered that behavior, although I'm really not sure which one. The problem first began occurring while 1.5.73 was still active and has not improved with 1.5.80

Originally, when I drew the bow and got ready to fire, the image in center-field of the first person view was that of the bow itself, with a crosshair just right of the bow graphic. Now, what I see is the bow string in center-field, and the bow is all but off the left side of the play screen.

Arrows fired at the cross hair do not land anywhere near the cross hair, instead they seem to aim far to the left of the intended target. (ex: I shoot at a target ~50 feet away, the arrow ends up 5 or 6 feet to the left of the target, indoors, outdoors, wherever)

Now, as I've progressed in the game, and crossbows have become available, when I pick up a crossbow, arrows fired towards the crosshair actually fire *at* the target. That's whether the cheapest cross bow and cheapest bolts or the best I can get at my level (currently an enhanced Dwarven crossbow and exploding fire, ice and shock bolts, care of the Dawnguard quests). Fire, and they hit within inches of the intended target (granted, droop with distance-to-target still applies, as I would expect from the physics of flight. That is, trying to hit something 400 yards away - being a bit extreme here, but I hope you get what I mean, ie at long distance - requires pointing slightly above the target, but there's no substantial horizontal offset, and the crossbow, just like the original graphic representation of the bows, is center-field in first person view.)

To be clear, I'm not talking about flight droop associated with gravity. This, I would expect. What I mean is that the arrows are being shot far left of where the crosshair indicates they should be hitting. This is with any and all bows, from hunting on up to Auriel's bow, glass bows, ebony bows, straight or enchanted, etc. and any of the various arrows available, from iron all the way up to Daedric and Stahlrim arrows.

Can anyone help me solve this? It's really put a dent in my use of archery. I'm not on that computer right now, but if needed I'll generate a mod list and post it later this evening. But in the meantime, maybe one of you has already encountered this and knows what causes it or otherwise knows (from some other source) what causes it... And most importantly, how to fix it.

thanks

edited to fix a spelling error and augment content

Hello and a very fine whatever to you...

Your problems does seem quite similar to what my humble self have experienced, there is a solution though, do try to download "Archery Gameplay Overhaul" this little beauty gives you the possibility to twiddle, didde and fidlle to your hearts delight with the aim.. I highly recommend it..

Toodles..

Never ever had one single problem hitting my targets except when i don't let the string pull back all the way... Kid.

Right., Nor did I at first. All of a sudden, after installing some mod or another, my aim was off by yards to the left, and my bow was no longer in center frame, replaced by the string showing up in the middle of the screen instead. (as you might already know if you'd read the entirety of my original post)

PS> Thanks for the kid comment. As an adult old enough to be the grandfather of many of you, it's kinda nice, like those rare times at the store when some clerk asks for ID because they got busted for selling cigarettes or alcohol to legal minors. Fleeting and fake, but it's still nice to be reminded that I was..once upon a time.

I have the same problem as anjen, downloading the archery mod now, thanks.

Downloaded the archery overhaul, it partly works in that I placed the aim point 100 (max allowed) to the right, but it is really off putting not seeing the bow in front of you when firing. Curiously, bow is normal in 3rd person view, but I cant get used to it that way, keep shooting my companions.

Does anyone know the location of file/animation for the bow please, maybe if I re-copy from a new source might help. I tried disabling all my mods and started a new game and it still does it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by stankarp

• 1 year later...

immersive first person, this mod is the main culprit for this kind of problem, because with thismod installed it will treat 1st person perspective as a 3rd person perspective which make aiming very difficult, i've tried several archery mods in a hope to correct bow possitioning as while it doesn't quite show the string only i find the bow is aimed to high relative to the crosshair which is for me very frustraiting especially since my primary fighting methods rely on sneak stealth archery and occasional sword play. only fix is to test out different mods that workwith archery and hope one works, but there might be something that can be modified in the ini files

Edited by death1235

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar issue - even after I installed "Archery Gameplay Overhaul":

when I am in 'first person' view and the weapon readied, the arrow points towards the target/crosshairs, BUT when I 'draw' the bow [LMB/M1], the display/bow is now pointed slightly up and about 90 degrees to the left! Worse, the path of the arrow is from the point of about where the front of the bow would be if held to the left like that - which means it is likely to deflect off of any objects/scenery to your left AND it strikes about 2' or more to the left of your Aim (variable depending on range to target)! Incredibly annoying and completely immersion breaking...

in 3rd person, half the time you can't SEE the target (Due to your character) and if you shift the crosshairs enough to see, you are often going to end up hitting scenery between the character and the target due to paralax (I am guessing).

Please, anyone have any idea on how I can fix this? Is this some weird FNIS bug?

• 1 year later...

D

I am having a similar issue - even after I installed "Archery Gameplay Overhaul":

when I am in 'first person' view and the weapon readied, the arrow points towards the target/crosshairs, BUT when I 'draw' the bow [LMB/M1], the display/bow is now pointed slightly up and about 90 degrees to the left! Worse, the path of the arrow is from the point of about where the front of the bow would be if held to the left like that - which means it is likely to deflect off of any objects/scenery to your left AND it strikes about 2' or more to the left of your Aim (variable depending on range to target)! Incredibly annoying and completely immersion breaking...

in 3rd person, half the time you can't SEE the target (Due to your character) and if you shift the crosshairs enough to see, you are often going to end up hitting scenery between the character and the target due to paralax (I am guessing).

Please, anyone have any idea on how I can fix this? Is this some weird FNIS bug?

id you ever figure this problem out? I'm having the same issue. I had to reload the game on a new system and some of my old mods were not working anymore. One of the new mods must be causing this... Using Scoped bows with bug fix, just downloaded Archery Overhaul and now the bow is at least facing forward before drawing it. Still shooting 90* though...