newbie question - want to play all the 'new content' mods - should i add one at a time or all together?

madeirabhoy

apologies if this is a daft question. ive just stumbled on the amount of new locations mods on here, which will rekindle my interest in fallout 4 as id done everything i wanted to in the main story line and dlcs.

whats the best way to go about this? should i start a new game or keep using my old completed save?

should i add one mod at a time, play those and then remove it, or should i just drop the dozen or so mods into the game and play them all as i would with official missions and stuff?

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

brand new game without a doubt, and as mentioned above do 1 mod at a time.

having loads of scripted mods, have a high chance of causing issues further down the line. (baring in mind, that fallout itself as well as its DLCs are all heavily scripted)

Saved Games are heavily effected by Scripts. the bigger the saved games get, the more likelyhood of instability based issues (Such as ILS, Performance Issues, and Saved Bloat, which leads onto more serious issues).

if you are hoping your saved games will last for a very long time, then be very strict with how many scripted mods you run at any given time.

however 1 thing to note, you cannot simply remove a scripted mod in an active playthrough (this will inevtibly cause serious issues later on down the line without fail), so you have 2 options, you can either risk having multiple heavily scripted mods active, and potentionally have saved game based issues later on down the line or the mods them selves not working as intended, or you can be smart about it and create a new save per heavily scripted mod. <-- that means create new game, complete the heavily scripted mod, then start another new game, rinse and repeat, then with the mods that offer a lot of content that stays relevant for the entire playthrough, you keep these permantly for a complete playthrough, where you do not add in more mods.

doing the second option will offer much better success rates, as in the chances of having issues with the heavily scripted mod will be much less likely. and likewise the mod will run much better.

Note: Quest Mods are Guranteed to be Scripted, and the more complex Quest Mods, will be heavily scripted.

Note: Removing mods in an active playthrough is not a good idea, it will result in problems, removing Scripted mods, will result in much bigger problems, such as ILS, Saved Bloat, Game instability, Performance Issues and finaly Saved Game Corruption (which means you will be forced to start again, if you wish to continue playing fallout)

• 1 month later...

Hello from Greece. Always remember, when use more than 225 or 230 or more mods, the game at some point is going to crash and continue to crash, and that is going to happen, because some time, mods change the graphics or some mods conflict with other. i think about mods, is to create a folder at your hard disk and organizer them, quests / companions and more. So if you don't want to use anymore a mod, and this mod have scripted files, you will be sure, your fallout 4 data folder is clean. Delete the files manualy. Also everytime, install manual all your mods. Download them and then, copy the files to the data folder. i use Mod Organizer, so i am sure everything 99.9% works. i don't know what is that vortex and i don't use it. i like to keep things simple. That's all. i hope i help. Thanks.

Hello from Greece. Always remember, when use more than 225 or 230 or more mods, the game at some point is going to crash and continue to crash, and that is going to happen, because some time, mods change the graphics or some mods conflict with other. i think about mods, is to create a folder at your hard disk and organizer them, quests / companions and more. So if you don't want to use anymore a mod, and this mod have scripted files, you will be sure, your fallout 4 data folder is clean. Delete the files manualy. Also everytime, install manual all your mods. Download them and then, copy the files to the data folder. i use Mod Organizer, so i am sure everything 99.9% works. i don't know what is that vortex and i don't use it. i like to keep things simple. That's all. i hope i help. Thanks.

I agree with this, on a lot of points.

I also manually download all my mods. I have them separated into separate folders, organized by what type of mods they are.

I also HIGHLY recommend manual installation of mods. Some mod managers keep backup copies of mods that are installed, and CAN replace those files back into your data folder, OR run the mods from the backups that the mod manager created, WITHOUT the mods being in your data folder.

However, if you're using a mod manager, it's actually best to remove the mod from the manager first, and then go into your fallout folder to look for anything the mod manager may have missed. As well as into the mod manager's files, to make sure they are deleted from there as well.

I also keep a .txt file, of the mods that I install, and include the date. That way, if I install 2 or 3 mods today, and tomorrow, I get some problems, I know which mods to look at as a culprit.

Short answer is, don't install a bunch of mods all at once. Due to mod in-compatibilty, and load order requirements of some mods, it's just a headache. Install, playtest, work with it if you need to, then install another, rinse and repeat.

Edited by StormWolf01