⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Announcing Dark Souls Nexus Launched

Dark0ne

I've not been interested in Dark Souls but I have heard it was horribly ported. I will give them this, at least they said it would be, unlike... well, unlike every other developer. (No, not Bethesda. Skyrim or other ES/FO titles are not bad "ports" really. Especially comparitively.) But still, no excuse for it being so poorly done, once again, just from what I've heard. Especially the resolution, which is one thing that bugs me most in PC ports. 1024x720? Wha...? Along with FPS caps of 30 (or even lower, I've seen it before.), but no clue if DS suffered from that. I digress though, at least it sounds like DS is actually pretty fixable, unlike many other games. And once again, glad to see modding happening in another game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no no no! This is bad :( I understand a graphical fix, it was needed.

But texture modding and such... no, seriosly, it will kill the lore of the game, you're destroying what Dark Souls is. A pure experience... but it's too late now :( I can complain as much as I want, damage has been done and will continue that way :(

Goodness Nexus sure is expanding quickly, I only hope the modders can fix the major issues that render that game near unplayble at times on the PC.

Then it might actually be worth buying!

No no no no! This is bad :( I understand a graphical fix, it was needed.

But texture modding and such... no, seriosly, it will kill the lore of the game, you're destroying what Dark Souls is. A pure experience... but it's too late now :( I can complain as much as I want, damage has been done and will continue that way :(

You have got to be kidding me.

The lore is not going to be "killed" by someone fiddling with the textures.

Y'know what? I'm going to assume this is a masterfully crafted joke.

Good one!

This is great news indeed and thank you Dark0ne for doing this.

I was looking forward to this game since I read about the petition and purchased the retail version on release day and I'm very happy with it. Luckily, I already had an Xbox 360 controller that I bought last year so I use it to play and haven't actually tried using the keyboard so I can't comment on that.

I knew beforehand that it would be a straight port and had read about the graphics and 30 fps limit etc that people complain about even though FROM Software expicitly said they have little experience in PC development. Those things don't bother me in the least when the game is, obviously in my opinion, a masterpiece. The game runs smoothly without the framerate problems it had in some areas on the consoles, has extra DLC content that is not yet available on the consoles and which they will have to pay extra for, and other things that were changed for the PC version, like improved stats and other things.

The fact FROM actually took notice and made it available to PC players is something that should be appreciated even though many now complain about what in the grand scheme of things are really not that important. Yes, perhaps they could have done more, but they gave us the game when they didn't have to consider it at all. It's perfectly playable and stable as is, unlike some PC only games. Graphics aren't everything if the game play and massive replayability is there, which it is.

We, or at least I can hope they make their next game available to PC and optimized for it as they realize there's a market for these games, but with all the whining I wouldn't really blame them if they decided not to.

I've been gaming for over 20 years and have seen and played worse games that were either buggy or had other real issues and didn't keep my interest like this game and to my disappointment this includes Skyrim which I've lost all interest in. Dark Souls makes me think, plan and strategize and the game rewards you for that even though I have had moments where I want to pull my hair out because I did something stupid and died, usually like falling off a cliff or getting reckless and over confident.

Ever since the first versions of the graphics fix were released I've been downloading the updates and keeping up to speed on what's happening with mods, but I find myself starting the game up, playing for hours and forgetting every time to add the mod to my game. I will do it sometime though but for me the game is just that engrossing and enjoyable even out of the box. The only thing I could have done without is GFWL, but I haven't had any problems with it so far.

I'm not into multiplayer games normally and I quite like the system this game has and it works on a P2P system. You can choose to use it or not and depends on game rules anyway, like having to be human. Unfortunately, it's already plagued with cheats using trainers and hacks, but there are ways to make them pay and avoid them if you know how. There are other issues with the Net Code which FROM are aware of which can make it unreliable and which may be fixed according to a thread on the Steam forums.

This is a game that's not to everyone's taste, but all in all I couldn't be happier.