Serious graphic issues with old Forgotten Realms Games(Baldurs Gate, I

Cryogenius333

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm just hoping somebody will know how to help me with this... tech support forums aren't doing me so well.

Basically I tried to play good ol' Icewind Dale on my windows 7 comp... and before that Good ol' Baldur's Gate II... both of the games are having this annoying and heartbreaking issue where the game menus, and the game in general, looks like somebody upended a bucket of water on the interface... everything blurs and smears and becomes unreadable...

I don't know how to fix this... I've tried compatability mode... I KNOW it has something to do with the OS, but can't for the life of me find out what...

If anyone can help me fix this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it... It's heartbreaking, not being able to play these games... some of the best I've ever played.... In fact BG is THE best series I've played.... seeing it in this shape is troubling.

First guess would be your video card not recognizing the resolution the game wants to work with . Use the monitor resolution setting to try to adjust it. Older games had a lower resolution and no wide screen capability. Try starting with a ridiculously low res - like 640x480 (that was the original resolution used for the game. :facepalm:) Then if that works try upping it until it breaks to find the highest you can use.

This link is old but may help

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,19881.0.html

In compatability mode make sure you have Run in 256 colours, Run in 640x480, Disable Visual Themes, etc. all ticked.

Fallout and Fallout 2 would run, but the colours would be all rainbow even if you did all those settings. I had to kill explorer.exe before starting the game and then it would run in normal colour. You could also try that if those options didn't fix it.

Good luck :)

Even though it was Win95 era, you might want to try running it with Dosbox or other emulation software. Sometimes this can help negotiate with various videocard and driver issues.

None of the Infinity Engine games will run outside of windows.

This link is old but may help

http://forums.pocket...ic,19881.0.html

@bben46 -- There's a blast from the past. Tutu v6 was never considered stable. Tutu v4 is the one recommended for non-English users. EasyTutu is the preferred version for English users. But all that is geared towards getting BG to play in the BG2 engine.

To the OP

Be sure that BG, IWD etc are installed outside of the Program Files directory. Those are definite games which will have problems when installed there, especially when it comes to mods.

I have Window 7 64 bit Professional with a 1440x900 monitor and the games auto adjust to 640x800 with sidebars unless using the Widescreen mod. Windowed Mode works well too. I've not needed to adjust compatibility mode, nor colors. I do run as administrator with UAC off. Never had to toggle themes or the aero desktop off.

I would suggest if the colors are smeared and things are illegible that perhaps, you should check your graphics settings in the graphic card controller and ensure that you've not made changes to the global settings which should have been made to affect specific other games.

Failing that. This thread may or may not have some relevance: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/30840-ie-games-and-nvidia-series-8-video-cards/

I would also suggest asking in the forums at Gibberlings3.net (G3) SpellholdStudios.net (SHS) or Pocketplane.net (PPG). Tho PPG may seem dead it is not. However don't ask the same thing in all of them as there is plenty of crossover of members between the forums. You could ask the specific question and scenario in one forum and then briefly ask in the others with a link back to the big question in the first forum, that way you'll get visibility of all three audiences with a central place for response. You may want to include screenshots so that people can understand exactly what it is that you are talking about.

Alternatively you could wait for the release of the Enhanced Edition which is supposed to combine BG & BG2 with new content as a single install. However that won't help with the other IE games...

--- Retired BG Modder

I would also suggest asking in the forums at Gibberlings3.net (G3) SpellholdStudios.net (SHS) or Pocketplane.net (PPG). Tho PPG may seem dead it is not. However don't ask the same thing in all of them as there is plenty of crossover of members between the forums. You could ask the specific question and scenario in one forum and then briefly ask in the others with a link back to the big question in the first forum, that way you'll get visibility of all three audiences with a central place for response. You may want to include screenshots so that people can understand exactly what it is that you are talking about.

Alternatively you could wait for the release of the Enhanced Edition which is supposed to combine BG & BG2 with new content as a single install. However that won't help with the other IE games...

--- Retired BG Modder

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen those forums.

I wonder if the old mods will work for the new update, but I'm guessing not. I don't know if I can take that tutorial dungeon again. I've ran the dungeon so many times that I know it like the back of my hand.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen those forums.

I wonder if the old mods will work for the new update, but I'm guessing not. I don't know if I can take that tutorial dungeon again. I've ran the dungeon so many times that I know it like the back of my hand.

Don't need to repeat the dungeon for BG2. You can use the mod called Dungeon Be Gone