Fallout 4 Highly irritating companion behavior in build mode (obstructing and pushing players)

leisuresuitberry

This is a feedback to Bethesda (not a negative anti FO4 comment).

Honestly, FO4 companions are a marked improvement over FO1, 2 and 3.

But in FO4, Bethesda introduces the build settlement option, allowing players to turn certain parts of the wasteland into homes or even bases (which is cool and introduces replay ability to the game.

BUT HAVE YOU EVER WONDER, why do companions go to "supermodel free walking" when you go into build mode.

Can you make them STAND STILL instead of walking around, bumping, pushing or even obstructing players when we are trying to put a turret or furniture into the settlement?

There is a VERY GOOD mod called Heather Casdin (OMG, Bethesda, go and bloody look at how that modder does her job). I HAVE NEVER SEEN HEATHER CASDIN obstruct me when my character is doing settlement work.

It is beyond irritating, I have seen Piper "supermodeling" and standing at the place where I want to place a turret, then she stare at me in a bimbo manner, then repeating the process UNTIL I DISMISS HER "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY SETTLEMENT".

Why do you allow companions to walk around the player when they are doing their jobs??????????? JUST STAND STILL. I AM PLACING MY BLOODY TURRETS. I DUN NEED TO SMELL YOUR FARTS, THANKS.

Okay, if you are e beginner to FO4, I am going to teach you this basic console command called "tai".

Go to console command, click on your companion and type "tai".

They will STOP MOVING and STOP DISTURBING YOU when you are pulling your hair trying to place something in your settlement.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5409755-stop-prestons-is-this-a-better-time-for-that-talk/

2. Irritating companion repeatable romance talk (Preston Garvey's Is this a better time for that talk?"

There is already one old thread on NEXUS.

For FO5, please stop the repeatable romance dialogue.

How many times can these companions take rejection?

Highly recommended in the character creation, players get to choose their sexual preferences in FO5, to stop these weirdo creepy romance conversations WHICH KEPT COMING UP (after 3 or 4 rejections).

3. Companions running for no reason and bumping into players.

4. Companions going into gungho mode and out of sneak mode (WHEN THE ENEMY has not spotted us yet).

5. Companions throwing grenades and killing hostages and even players (probably they should have the intelligence not to throw a grenade if someone they need to rescue is close in range).

6. Companions walking and triggering death traps (Jamaica Plain and The Nucleus).

Why not find a clear space out of the way and just tell them "wait here." They won't come anywhere near you, then, if you put them in a clear space away from your building project.
Definitely don't give them explosives. That's been an issue since fallout 1, companions just shouldn't be given certain weapons.
I've never had them shoot first. I've been using amazing follower tweaks for such a long time now that I'm not sure whether or not it's the reason for this.

Definitely check out amazing follower tweaks, I just looked at its feature list, it fixes so many of these problems... you can choose follower following distance, affect how they interact with traps, friendly fire, etc. I haven't seen any of these problems other than the classic gung-ho explosives behavior.

HOWEVER, the well-made player companions (there are several others besides Heather) do something EVEN MORE IRRITATING, IMO. When you tell them 'Wait Here', so you can go do some cool game s**t... ya know... like knock a gunner out of his power armor so I can steal it, or just sneak around for bit... Heather hears a gunshot and comes a running, like a rabid dog hungry for blood! I've literally left them more than a football field away from something I was trying to do, and the moment I trigger agro in an enemy, they become Olympic runners and just want to go balls-to-the-wall nuclear on everything that moves...

Making it IMPOSSIBLE to knock a baddie out of power armor, because they always want to make that 'kill shot'. I've actually shot Heather in the face over and over again because no matter how far away I left her, she kept running back. They don't even comprehend the words 'wait here', AT ALL. On the other hand, you could be getting mauled by a pack of supermutants five feet away, and if you told your vanilla companion to 'Wait Here', they ignore the fracas and just stand still... WAITING... like they are supposed to. And if you are sneaking, they STAY IN SNEAK MODE. Not Heather... she super-model struts all around any cell you are in if you tell her to wait. She's like, "Hey, Mr.Supermutant, I just want to let you know my boss is hiding over there behind a barrel and he's gonna kick your arse once you spot him!"

Arrrrrrrghh

So I suppose its what matters to you more, building, or trying to sneak around and do other fun stuff. Because if you have to use a terminal, or do anything else that requires you to stand up for a moment, those non-vanilla companions are gonna stomp all over the place, making as much noise as possible. I was once sneaking up on a group of raiders in bunker, coming down stairs, when she suddenly (for no apparent reason) stood up, walk right on by me and into the room, and started using their workbench right in front of them. I think ol' Heather been drinking too many of her own potions. Personally, I try not to use any companions after I get their perk. Life is simpler that way.

Edited by MarkusTay

• 4 weeks later...

There is a setting in Amazing Follower Tweaks that is supposed to make them flee when you enter workshop mode. But this doesn't work on some mod followers that don't use the vanilla follower framework. As a whole it's a minor gripe for me, just last night while working at Starlight Sara (Project Valkyrie) wouldn't leave me alone at all, she has been very clingy since reaching higher affinity. She is easy on the eyes though so I just try to laugh it off.

• 4 weeks later...

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5409755-stop-prestons-is-this-a-better-time-for-that-talk/

2. Irritating companion repeatable romance talk (Preston Garvey's Is this a better time for that talk?"

There is already one old thread on NEXUS.

For FO5, please stop the repeatable romance dialogue.

You, my friend, are in luck: I stumbled upon this mod just recently.

• 4 weeks later...

"There is a VERY GOOD mod called Heather Casdin"

Good call, thanks. I am now using this follower and so far my new companion is doing very well. It's still early, if anything changes I will come back and update the post.

It has been almost a week and I have nothing but good things to say about the Heather Casdin follower MOD, it is another winner from a very good author and MOD maker.

Edited by Groogo

• 2 weeks later...

Cant argue with OP on this one. Its as bad as he says and more.

In Skyrim for example, I have modified the followers to stop dry humping me all the time, and for the most part it works reasonably well.

EXCEPT

When I use a crafting station, the package that controls that spacing, seems to 'turn off' and they can almost shove you off a station. I use the EFF follower mod and that may be playing a part in this too.

In F4, just did a test play through and constantly getting followers standing right where I am trying to place object X, or, doing exactly what OP describes.

Technical

Now, EFF has a custom package with governs follower distance. Problem is, the author set it to dry hump by default. It is not a Skyrim follower package, though the game must have its own equivalent(s), and its just as bad. What EFF's package(s), partial solution as it is, shows this can be addressed, at least somewhat. Im pretty sure if I looked at that Casdin follower, It probably has a custom package or two that does something similar to what EFF's PlayerFollowerFollowPackage and PlayerFollowerPassivePackage govern.

However, despite this, when you go into crafting mode, that gets turned off. I suspect the same thing is occurring in F4, when you go into build mode, the package shuts off and goes into sandbox mode. Or something like that.

Usually what I do, is just pull out a super sledge and start beating on their asses. Does it stop them from constantly getting in my way? Not really, but it makes me feel good for a couple mins.

And dont get me started on:

"Have you found someone to elp me become human?"

For the 500th %$#%$#ing time......

NO, What part of It is my TOP PRIORITY didnt you get the first 100 times I told you that?