quite new to modding oblivion and BOSS/Wrye Bash. Need some confirmation

RaizedByDemonz

So I ran boss after installing nvac (Following bevilex' stability section and possibly going to do his graphics mod list idk yet) but after I ran boss it unchecked a bunch of things and I was wondering if that's correct or if something went wrong. The game still runs and doesn't crash, but I just can't tell if the patches and things were already put in or if them being un checked means something went wrong.

When you rebuild the bashed patch every esp with green text will be deactivated since those are fully merged into the bashed patch and thus don't need to be activated anymore. After the bashed patch has been built they will be marked with a "+" symbol to inform you that they have been merged into the bashed patch and that they don't need to be activated. You will only see the "+" symbol if "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" is activated and if they have been successfully merged into it.

In your case something is obviously wrong since there are a lot of esps with black text that hasn't been activated. If you don't activate those esps they won't be loaded when you start the game.

I recommend to follow this procedure every time you need to rebuild the bashed patch:

1. Run BOSS to sort your load order if you haven't already.

2. Deactivate "Bashed Patch, 0.esp".

3. Activate every esp with black text (except "Bashed Patch, 0.esp").

Regarding esps with green text it doesn't matter if you activate them or not. If you activate them they will be automatically deactivated when you rebuild the bashed patch. If you don't activate them they will stay deactivated. In either case they will be fully merged into the bashed patch when you rebuild it.

4. Rebuild the bashed patch. To do so you right click on "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" and select "Rebuild Patch..." and then follow the instructions (just click Ok on everything). Make sure that "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" is deactivated [see step 2] before you rebuild it.

Before playing the game make sure that every esp with black text, including "Bashed Patch, 0.esp", is activated. Every esp with green text should now have a "+" symbol.

Edited by Grogrokl

When you rebuild the bashed patch every esp with green text will be deactivated since those are fully merged into the bashed patch and thus don't need to be activated anymore. After the bashed patch has been built they will be marked with a "+" symbol to inform you that they have been merged into the bashed patch and that they don't need to be activated. You will only see the "+" symbol if "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" is activated and if they have been successfully merged into it.

In your case something is obviously wrong since there are a lot of esps with black text that hasn't been activated. If you don't activate those esps they won't be loaded when you start the game.

I recommend to follow this procedure every time you need to rebuild the bashed patch:

1. Run BOSS to sort your load order if you haven't already.

2. Deactivate "Bashed Patch, 0.esp".

3. Activate every esp with black text (except "Bashed Patch, 0.esp").

Regarding esps with green text it doesn't matter if you activate them or not. If you activate them they will be automatically deactivated when you rebuild the bashed patch. If you don't activate them they will stay deactivated. In either case they will be fully merged into the bashed patch when you rebuild it.

4. Rebuild the bashed patch. Make sure "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" is deactivated [see step 2] before you rebuild it.

Before playing the game make sure that every esp with black text, including "Bashed Patch, 0.esp", is activated. Every esp with green text should now have a "+" symbol.

So, im guessing I haven't even built the bash patch? I've just loaded in a bunch of mods that got deactivated? Once I figure out, or if you'd be kind enough to tell me how to do so. Would I pretty much only need the bash patch activated for the mods to be running in game?

The best source for information on Wrye Bash is found in the two readmes ... Wrye Bash General Readme.html and Wrye Bash Advanced Readme.html, both found in the Mopy\Docs folder.

To rebuild/build your bashed patch just right click it and select from the right click context menu.

You said boss unchecked things. Since boss doesn't uncheck things I misread your post and thought that the bashed patch rebuild process had unchecked some of your esps which it sometimes does.

A bashed patch isn't required. Some people skip it. But if you want to solve as many mod conflicts as possible it's recommended to use one. Follow my instructions how to create one if you want to use one.

Your problem seems to be a more basic one. It seems like you don't know that you have to activate esps in order for the game to load them. To activate an esp in Wrye Bash, just select it and press space. Do this for all esps that you want to use. If you don't do this the esp will not be loaded in your game! (if you use a bashed patch you don't need to activate those esps with a "+" symbol since those have already been merged into the bashed patch).

Edited by Grogrokl

Honestly they were all checked and I loaded into the game and it seemed like the patches and stuff were loaded in because I got items for the "patches" in the form of keys. But, when I ran BOSS after doing everything so far, I noticed a lot was unchecked, specifically the "Patches"

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you are still having issues with this, but as another poster said, mods that get incorporated into the Bashed Patch (which is a good thing), when activated, won't have a check but a plus sign so you will know they are merged into the Patch.

When you run BOSS, the Bashed Patch is deactivated and along with it any mods that were merged into it. You don't have to re-check each mod that was unchecked; just rebuild your Bashed Patch and when it is done you will see that the mods that had been deactivated have a plus sign, which means they are again activated via the Bashed Patch.

I absolutely recommend using a Bashed Patch; it resolves many conflicts and helps to avoid many potential conflicts and much more. Wrye is (imo) the best utility of its kind.

Aside from the beginning and advanced help files that download with Wrye Bash, here is a link to a tutorial with pictures (.pdf) by Alt3rn1ty that you might find useful:

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35230