How to make a non glossy normal map in Gimp?

cramlow

Hi fellow Modders. I've searched all over the net and cannot find anything helpful.

I pain stakenly made a pair of jean shorts which look pretty decent, however I don't recall how to save a normal map so the jeans are not glossy, but look like normal cotton jean material. I'm using Gimp.

Thank you!

Did you look in this forum, too? Do a search on the word "glossy" in Skyrim Mod Troubleshooting and you'll see similar questions.

For instance, there's a thread from last January called "Help: Remove gloss in normal map" that specifically discusses gloss and the GIMP. Maybe you've already seen it, but maybe not, so...? Try other search terms as well.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in getting your answer.

Thank you for the reply. I have seen that and other threads and they haven't helped resolved the gloss issue. I would like know what the default normal map settings are so I can take this from A to B and get it right.

Thanks again for your help.

CR

I will check this in GIMP tonight and let you know how it turns out.Thanks Perraine!

Edit: I loaded this file in GIMP and tried to change the alpha to black or darker and am not sure how. Can Anyone familiar with GIMP please advise?

Edited by cramlow

I'm not familiar with gimp but I know how to do this in photoshop... And a quick google search came up with this --> http://www.ehow.com/...nnels-gimp.html

remember Black = dull and white = shiny.

The way photoshop handles it is a lot easier though.

Edited by novmbar

It's simple in Gimp vs Skyrim, the more opac "solid" is your normal map the more it will shine...

exemple for a clothing piece , select a big brush, than select erase tool, than erase 92% of the normal map (created as usual with Filter > Map > NormalMap)

leaving only 8% of the map, then you get a non shiny map... erase about 85% to get a shiny map, and even less to get a very shiny effect !

Turn the brightness down to make the normal darker using the 'brightness/contrast' or 'levels' commands under 'colour' that should help lower the glossy effect

The contrast tool is handy for exaggerating areas too.

If your problem persist it might be worth lowering the mesh glossiness in nifskope.