How to make Oblivion Stable for Modding

DavinaJo

Not sure what exactly is needed to get Oblivion stable, as to keeping it from getting usual Problems when Modding IE screen tears, micro stutters etc....

Thing is it's not my first rodeo as far as modding is concerned, i would just like to be able to Keep my game from the accursed CTD, memory limitations video limitations engine limitations etc.

On top of things like Unofffical patches, Wryebash, TES4Edit, LOOT (yes i use LOOT instead of BOSS (just easier to update it) and the other patchers what else would i need

I have two system one with socket 1150 processor (4790k) and GTX 1050ti with 32gigs ram - second with Socket 1151 processor , GTX 1070ti and only 8gigs ram (still building this up but mention it as my games will be going on to this system. My copy of Oblivion is the Steam version of the GOTY Edition

On top of this any Tutorials, (I've used Gopher's Tutorials for modding Bethesda's games they're excellent (if all your doing is modding your game not getting the game stable before you mod)).

I thank you for your time.

Given that XP is an obselete OS that's not helpful.

Firstly - run it natively in Windows 10.

Secondly - get Oblivion Stutter Remover.

Thirdly - Consider Oblivion Reloaded for its more efficient graphical pipeline. It has some issues right now but fortunately for you those seem to be confined to AMD hardware.

Fourthly - get the Unofficial Patch

Now check the game still runs OK.

@Sigurd Stormhand, Considering how old Oblivion is (came out in 2006) we should all be thankful that Microsoft still allows us to play our old games on their current OS.

I do use the Unofficial patches in fact they're almost the first thing i install right after i install Oblivion (but not before i clean the DLC with TES4Edit)

I have tried to use the Oblivion Stutter Remover before but had mix results but am willing to try again.

I've found Bevilex's guide and I've taken on the bull work of converting the mods I plan to use to work with either Wryebash or a Modern Mod Manager.

NB (when I first gotten into Modding I wasn't aware that I had to run the game in order to initialize the .ini files).

Edited by DavinaJo

@Sigurd Stormhand, Considering how old Oblivion is (came out in 2006) we should all be thankful that Microsoft still allows us to play our old games on their current OS.

I do use the Unofficial patches in fact they're almost the first thing i install right after i install Oblivion (but not before i clean the DLC with TES4Edit)

I have tried to use the Oblivion Stutter Remover before but had mix results but am willing to try again.

I've found Bevilex's guide and I've taken on the bull work of converting the mods I plan to use to work with either Wryebash or a Modern Mod Manager.

NB (when I first gotten into Modding I wasn't aware that I had to run the game in order to initialize the .ini files).

OSR can be finicky - heap replacement especially can require a lot of tweaking. That being said it's worth the effort if you want to play a heavily modded install for more than half an hour.

Iâve stopped using Stutter Remover and Streamline - I find they can introduce more issues than they solve. Now I just use MoreHeap and ENBoost. On my last machine they pretty much solved the stability issues and needed *very* little tinkering, if any.

On my current machine with Intel graphics, nothing I tried would stop the crashing. The more mods and eye candy (QTP3R etc.) I added, the quicker the crashes came, but even disabling that stuff didnât fully stop the crashing... UNTIL I edited the enblocal.ini settings and set EnableUnSafeMemoryHacks to true. I was hesitant to do that at first but the time between crashes went from ~20 minutes to ~6+ hours. (Which is way more time than I have to play, so itâs functionally crash-free.) I NEED Better Cities and Unique Landscapes, so this is extremely helpful.

Worth a shot!

@Subtled0ct0r, i've tried in the pass to use ENBoost with mixed results, might have not been installing it right or else i just don't know how to setup ini files to make it work, right now i'm just following the guide and so far, i've tried playing the game with Quarl's Texture pack and Bomret's Texture pack for SI and so far, (knock on wood) = ) the only thing it's done is just froze for a few seconds and then came back, however if it continues to do so i'll look into More heap and ENBoost , i'm using Bevilex's recommandations for now. (stutter remover + Cleanup 0p +Engine Bug Fixes + NVSC (the last supposedly works on Oblivion and skyrim to lesser degree (it's meant for NewVegas).

Btw i'm using Nvidia 10 series cards in both rigs but right now it's my 1050ti i need to make sure it working well with Oblivion.