Do you feel that modding is taking too much time ?

seweryn

With like 30 thousands mods on SEE do you feel it is too much mods to actually start playing the game.

I have this feeling, ok i like this mod and that and the other one.

I end up downloading over 50 then i learned those mods require other mods so i need to download like 30 more then some require compatibility patches .

And after middle of the work i learned that some mods have like 15 versions and i have to choose only one.

At this point i am getting headache and tell myself "this is freaking too much work".

When i am modding baldurs gate or kotor i just run installer or put things in the override directory, same goes with nwn.

When i started modding morrowind it was far less pain to get it to playable state. Maybe it is just my opinion.

So what do you think, did modding became too much pain aka too many mods ?

Cheers,

It did for me. I stopped playing Skyrim a few years ago, because there was always something new to add, and I would always end up spending more time on modding and making sure everything is compatible than actually playing the game. it just got too tiresome at some point. i tried limiting my mod list, but as we probably all know, it's not easy.

I also was faced with this problem so I just approached it 1 step at a time.

How strong is my computer?

Medium (This rules out any ENB's and for the most part LoD's)

What role am I playing?

Hunter (well then armor needs are reduced so Immersive Armors and maybe a few other Light armor mods I enjoy)

What world do I want?

Tress and immersive scenery, that leads me to trees (chose Simply Bigger Trees/Realistic Aspens), HQ Tree Bark) with various plants and other flora mods added (SFO also)

Extra world type mods wanted?

The Great Forest of Whiterun Hold, Unique Locations - Riverwood Forest, The Marshlands

Weather, Lighting, Grass and Water mods wanted?

Vivid Weather, RLO for lighting, Verdosebrom for grass and RW2 for water.

Mountains/Landscape?

Chose Better Dynamic Majestic Mountains and Vivid Landscapes.

Quests/Base Mods to build on?

Hunterborn, Hunting in Skyrim

World Population (is it empty or full) :

Chose OBIS, Populated mods for Cities, Roads, Forts and Caves, Immersive Patrols, Skyt4est Realistic Animals and Predators, Animallica and Bellyaches New Dragon Species

What is my home going to be Formal Player Home or not?

Chose Campsites in Skyrim and Campsites, Formal base Elysium Estates, Tundra Watch Farms and Leaf Rest

Script Heavy mods?

No (other than Hunterborn)

Followers?

I collect Housecarls (bad habit) + a few special personal ports and favorite followers ported to SE already. I use these to populate my base camps usually.

All of these are personal choices but I used them as my basics and built up my game on them. I have to admit I had a very good idea of what I wanted and did not want so that helps. Am currently with a stable game of 187 Active mods and 91 Lights.

It all kind of grew from there, Once I chose my role, the basic foundation mods, researched and added necessary patches for them I could then expand. The hard part like you mentioned is "Oh a new mod!" lets download it. Hard to avoid. I switched to Vortex when I chose to do SE only, I still download those files I just do not have to play them within my current game so allows me to test them on another profile later.

idk. I'm not one for downloading large groups and dump-installing them. Yes, some mods require several additional mods, which sometimes lead down another rabbit hole for an extra mod or two. I just ran into that with Trees of the Rift Reborn.

BUT... it's usually just the mod I want plus maybe one or two dependencies...and usually no dependencies.

Now, if I were to reinstall from scratch? Yeah, I'd probably try to do it in as much of "one fell swoop" as possible. However, I'm not one to seek the 'skyrim leet crown', so the number of times I'd do that don't approach what would push me to burnout. If I have to chase recreation that hard, then I'm more inclined to do something else with my free time.

I played LE for a long time and usually as a hunter. Was already comfortable with most of the mods as I used them before. The rest were new to me so I just used a test profile in Vortex to see if I liked them. I am retired now, so time is all mine. Having moved my Skyrim LE to the SE version it was time to start fresh. New manager, new utilities and many new mods. Been very interesting to build, as to me building a standard mod base is 1/2 the fun, the other 1/2 being the satisfaction of playing it..

I assure you I do not consider myself one of the "skyrim leet crowd" I am just a player who has a vision and am lucky to enjoy a game that has modders wanting to share theirs. Win win.

It certainly does at times feel like you're a kid in a candy store, always finding something else you want to add to your game. I think at a certain point you just need to decide to stop and enjoy the game for a while, and try to avoid installing anymore mods until you're at least done with your current character.

I know I've started abandoned numerous playthroughs because some new shiny mod comes out that I want to incorporate and is either incompatible or needs to be implemented at the start of a new game.

I know I've started abandoned numerous playthroughs because some new shiny mod comes out that I want to incorporate and is either incompatible or needs to be implemented at the start of a new game.

Same.

Thanks to what is now possible due to the work of diligent mod authors, it's easy to become obsessed with crafting your own 'perfect' vision of Skyrim (not counting the hentai dungeons). With all of the mods I use now, I've made a rule for myself: for every new mod that I download, I drop two. It helps me from going overboard and simplifies my load order. It also lets me identify which mods I SIMPLY MUST HAVE and separate them from the expendables.

It's all a labor of love.

• 2 weeks later...

seweryn, IMHO, you, either want to use mods, or you don't. If you get all brain scrambled like your original post seemed to imply, maybe mods are not for you.

1) If you go downloading mods willynilly without checking if they are dependent on another mod, sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure.

2) If you don't bother to happen to notice what version out of the 15 is the right one for you, again, that's just ignorance.

...pfft, too many mods.. gimme a break. I disagree with that, which is your whole premise. Use the mods you want, know what you're installing, pay attention to versions and stuff.. DoH.

3)Don't go installing 50 mods in one sitting and hope they all play nice.

4) Use common sense, install the game/addons/, unofficial patch, sse engine fixes, skse, skyUI and then, go from there. World map maybe, hey that's simple..

5) Use common sense2, in figuring out which mods are safe and simple and will not affect the game in a massive way, install all that first.

6) THEN, you might carefully install more script or whatever intensive/game changing mods, one at a time. Read the readme. Test.. Then the next one..

That's. My Method... I just had to post this cause i'd hate to see any no0bs who *are* savvy enough to learn to use mods, scared off by this post.. ;)

We all (probably) want "that game" we see in some youtube video that looks photo realistic, plays flawlessly, etc. So we mod. If all you do is mod though, not that it's "bad" to "play" that way, but if you do, and if what you really want to do is be "playing skyrim" (ie fighting mobs and dragons and gathering loot, or playing a humble fisherperson or hunter living out of a sleeping bag and struggling against the virtual elements, or questing, or for that matter spending your time leering at virtual butts or whatever, then the answer seems simple enough.

Pause in your search for the ultimate visual experience and ... play... Your mods list is right there in NMM or Vortex or whatever, and you can continue "playing" the other aspect (seeking visual nirvana) later. I disabled a weather mod last night and installed seasons of skyrim to check it out, but I spent the remaining time playing...and checking out how well it worked. A few more days of playing and I'll decide if it goes or stays. no biggie. If it goes, then I just re-enable the old weather mod and keep on... (In fact, my plan is, if I like it, to swap for the other weather mod periodically just to give the game a sense of seasonal change.)

... Ogre51, ftr, I meant no disrespect to those who are seasoned skyrim 'vet' ninjas (ie the skyrim leet), I'm just not one of them ?yet. I spend a bit of time installing mods, but >95% of my time is actually "playing the game". Frankly, when it comes to time-management "waste", I spend more time futzing with reading articles and forum posts (and writing posts) than installing mods, Outside those very few that leave me with load decisions to make, installing mods is no more than a 5 minute procedure of reading through the support material on the mod page, clicking "install", and waiting for a couple minutes while Vortex goes through it's installation procedures...