FfffGahhh! Big Heads WTF

VforValence

I installed a mod (since uninstalled and deleted) that seems to have had an unfortunate side effect.

A lot of NPCs now have noticeably malformed heads and distorted features. Several characters have distorted faces, egg heads, Lanius even has his face clipping through his mouth when he talks. I don't know what to do, is there any way to fix this without reinstalling the game (and all the many mods, one of which takes like an hour?)

Edited by VforValence

A lot of NPCs now have noticeably malformed heads and distorted features. Several characters have distorted faces, egg heads,...... is there any way to fix this without reinstalling the game (and all the many mods, one of which takes like an hour?)

Wow that is weird, sounds seriously messed up. Could you throw up a screenshot?

Does your charcter have it happen too, or just NPC's? Did you by chance install any animation replacers? I'm thinking if it's an skeleton/armature problem you could move your meshes folder out of your data directory. You'll see a lot of "!" (only for mods though, not vanilla content), but the game would have to revert back to the original BSA's and if that cleared up the problem we'd have a major clue where to start looking. Plus it *should* be painless to move it back, *shouldn't* be any permanent repercussions..

I'd say animations or any character meshes or textures could possibly have caused that. if its a meshes or textures issue you could try just deleating the specific textures, meshes, or animation you think could be causing the problem. i had something like this happen to me once to.

Does your charcter have it happen too, or just NPC's?

There may be minor distortions of my character's head, I haven't really noticed all that much, but it's mostly visible on NPC's with certain hairstyles, the Legion Mask is what tore it for me.

Did you by chance install any animation replacers?

Yep, and I've since uninstalled, but it seems to have stuck.

I'm thinking if it's an skeleton/armature problem you could move your meshes folder out of your data directory. You'll see a lot of "!" (only for mods though, not vanilla content), but the game would have to revert back to the original BSA's and if that cleared up the problem we'd have a major clue where to start looking. Plus it *should* be painless to move it back, *shouldn't* be any permanent repercussions..

Wait there's a lot of stuff in the Meshes folder, is there a specific folder within it I should move?

Edited by VforValence

Wait there's a lot of stuff in the Meshes folder, is there a specific folder within it I should move?

yeah there is a lot of stuff, but it's all related to mods.

The vanilla game uses the meshes.bsa archive, but when you have files in the meshes folder the game engine will use those instead. What we are basically trying to do is force the game engine to use the default resources when it comes to models. That will tell us if you have a issue with the human skeleton (armature), animations etc. Because if you uninstall a animation replacer, it's animations are most likely still in the meshes folder....unless you went in and deleted/overwrote them yourself or the author packed them in a BSA.

So long story short, you move the whole meshes folder out of the data folder and see if things act normal as far as hte big head issue. All of your mods will be missing their meshes (but not the vanilla game) so you'll see some !'s, but this is just for testing purposes, you can put the meshes folder back in when your done.