Finding the first step?

NephilimNexus

Next, I explored trying to change/add abilities to soldiers, armor, and weapons. My overall goal was to creatively try and find a way around being limited to carrying only 1 "backpack" item at a time. Specifically, I tried to add Medi-Kit heal, ArcThrower Stun, Ghost, & Grapple. I was met with mixed results.

Using the Rescource Hacker mentioned earlier, in the very first line you will see:

Armors=ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eAP_None,Properties[1]=eAP_None,Properties[2]=eAP_None,Properties[3]=eAP_None,iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar,iHPBonus=2,iDefenseBonus=0,iFlightFuel=0,iWillBonus=0,iLargeItems=1,iSmallItems=1,iMobilityBonus=0)

That's you basic armor, and all the other armors are listed right after it. Just change iSmallItems=1 into iSmallItems=2, like so:

Armors=ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eAP_None,Properties[1]=eAP_None,Properties[2]=eAP_None,Properties[3]=eAP_None,iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar,iHPBonus=2,iDefenseBonus=0,iFlightFuel=0,iWillBonus=0,iLargeItems=1,[b]iSmallItems=2[/b],iMobilityBonus=0)

Ta-da! You can now carry two backpack items. You can even push it up to three and beyond, but GUI problems will arise as it will have trouble showing it all at once.

You can also easily modify this or any of the armors to turn your squad into super-soldiers. Here is an example:

Armors=ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eAP_None,Properties[1]=eAP_None,Properties[2]=eAP_None,Properties[3]=eAP_None,iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar,iHPBonus=50,iDefenseBonus=100,iFlightFuel=0,iWillBonus=100,iLargeItems=1,iSmallItems=2,iMobilityBonus=20)

There, now you have 50HP in the armor alone, you're a lot less likely to get hit, you'll probably never panic, you can carry two backpack items and cover ground like The Flash. Trust me, fiddle with the code in this one file enough and you can Ironman through Impossible level in one sitting. Downside is that excessive ubermensch action can quickly suck all the fun out of the game, so use at your own risk.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's you basic armor, and all the other armors are listed right after it. Just change iSmallItems=1 into iSmallItems=2, like so:

Ta-da! You can now carry two backpack items. You can even push it up to three and beyond, but GUI problems will arise as it will have trouble showing it all at once.

So I made this specific change, but was not successful in actually having a soldier start a drop and be equipped with more than 1 item. Was there a trick to it, in the GUI, that I just didn't try?

When done making changes, click on "Compile Script" and then "Save." That's all I had to do. Changing the external config files does nothing, of course; You have to use the Resource Hacker on the main "XComGame.exe" file in order to get it to actually do anything.

Also check for typos. Accidentally deleting even one comma can bork the whole thing up.

You can also set all your weapons to unlimited ammo and 100% hit rate at all ranges, and then extend those ranges to across the map while you're at it. You can also remove the restrictions on moving & firing in the same turn for sniper rifles. You can increase weapon damage, but I actually advise against it since uberweapons that vaporize everything in one shot won't give you any chances to capture any aliens, leaving you deadlocked.

You can also easily edit monthly funding per country, panic level changes, satellites per relay (Hint: 16), the cost of every manufacturing, research, and foundry project at will. You can change xp needed to level up and what bonuses you get per level. You can change every alien to have only 1 hitpoint. If you want a perfect score on terror missions just give all the civilians 100HP (Good for avoiding Chrysalid plagues). You can give 100% of your soldiers psionic potential. And so on and so forth.

Of course you can also do the reverse and make enemies tougher & their weapons do more damage if you're a glutton for punishment.

I am actually thinking about taking the cheapness out of Classic, or toning it down at least from what I have seen the main factors that make classic what it is on the tactical level is the following;

BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_None,				iDamage=0,iCritHit=0, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0,  iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Civilian,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=0, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0,  iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Soldier,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=0, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=-2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Tank,				iDamage=0,iCritHit=0, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0,  iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Sectoid,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=1, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Floater,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Thinman,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Muton,				iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Cyberdisc,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_SectoidCommander,	iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=35)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_FloaterHeavy,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_MutonElite,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=20,iDefense=10,iHP=4,iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Ethereal,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=5, iMobility=0,iWill=35)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Chryssalid,		iDamage=2,iCritHit=10,iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Zombie,			iDamage=4,iCritHit=10,iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_MutonBerserker,	iDamage=3,iCritHit=10,iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=5, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Sectopod,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Drone,				iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_Outsider,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10,iAim=20,iDefense=10,iHP=2,iMobility=5,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_EtherealUber,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=20,iAim=10,iDefense=10,iHP=5,iMobility=0,iWill=10)
BalanceMods_Classic=(eType=eChar_BattleScanner,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=0, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)

Take note of the huge jump in the aim category... everything is set to 0 in normal mode

Wow in normal thinmen actually get a -1 for hitpoints.... No wonder there is such a big jump from normal to classic when it comes to thin men

Here is another big difference between normal and classic

; Maximum number of aliens that can be attacking you at one time.  -1 == no limit.
MaxActiveAIUnits=5
MaxActiveAIUnits=5
MaxActiveAIUnits=-1
MaxActiveAIUnits=-1

So the max number of enemies that will actively attack you is 5 in normal... I imagine that makes a huge difference.

Edited by snwkill

Can anyone help me? Changing assault rifle to "anyclass" won't give it to heavy, worked with sniper though. And i can't make sniper abilities work with assault rifle. Any guess?

Sorry for bad english.

Copy the lines that you changed, so we can see what you attempted.

Weapons=(iType=eItem_AssaultRifle,ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_ShotStandard,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_Overwatch,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[4]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[5]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass,Properties[1]=eWP_None,Properties[2]=eWP_None,Properties[3]=eWP_None,Properties[4]=eWP_None,Properties[5]=eWP_None,iDamage=4,iEnvironmentDamage=20,iRange=27,iReactionRange=-1,iReactionAngle=200,iRadius=0,iCritical=10,iOffenseBonus=0,iSuppression=0,iSize=eItemSize_Large,iHPBonus=0,iWillBonus=0)

Changed Properties[0]=eWP_Rifle to Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass by example of pistol.

Can't find any soldier abilities at all.

Edited by gukov

Hello, correct me if I'm wrong, but every change you make to the file XComGame.exe forces you to restart with a new campaign in order to make the changes effective.

If as I suspect it is true ... no way to get around this?

Changing the template is something that I had already tried ... but in vain.

Maybe I have something wrong in the syntax. 'll Check.

One thing ... if I change the string:

BalanceMods_Normal = (etype = eChar_Soldier, iDamage = 0, iCritHit = 0, IAIM = 0, iDefense = 0, iHP = 5, iMobility = 0, iWill = 0)

Strangely, when I purchase other soldiers they only have 6 Hp.

While those in the base at the beginning show the 11 Hp you were saying.

Small side note ... if you increase the capacity of movement of the soldiers.

The introduction mission can not be complete it.

There are triggers associated on reaching a certain position at the end of the turn.

To overcome the problem just put the increase at Level Up.

Edited by akab20032002

Hello, correct me if I'm wrong, but every change you make to the file XComGame.exe forces you to restart with a new campaign in order to make the changes effective.

BalanceMods_Normal = (etype = eChar_Soldier, iDamage = 0, iCritHit = 0, IAIM = 0, iDefense = 0, iHP = 5, iMobility = 0, iWill = 0)

I think those options are down near the bottom

; Soldier Values
NUM_STARTING_SOLDIERS=12
BARRACKS_CAPACITY=99
LOW_AIM=50
HIGH_AIM=80
LOW_MOBILITY=12
HIGH_MOBILITY=14
LOW_WILL=20
HIGH_WILL=60
ROOKIE_AIM=65
ROOKIE_MOBILITY=12 
ROOKIE_STARTING_WILL=40

Nevermind... not there I am so tired from too many late nights this week

Edited by snwkill

Try this part

Characters=(iType=eChar_Soldier,HP=5,Offense=65,Defense=0,Mobility=12,SightRadius=27,Will=40,Psionics=30,CritHitChance=0,CritWoundChance=0,FlightFuel=0,Reaction=0,ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_TakeCover,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[4]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[5]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[6]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[7]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eCP_CanGainXP,Properties[1]=eCP_None,Properties[2]=eCP_None,Properties[3]=eCP_None,Properties[4]=eCP_None,Properties[5]=eCP_None,bCanUse_eTraversal_Normal=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_ClimbOver=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_ClimbOnto=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_ClimbLadder=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_DropDown=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_Grapple=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_Landing=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_BreakWindow=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_KickDoor=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_JumpUp=False,bCanUse_eTraversal_WallClimb=False,bCanUse_eTraversal_BreakWall=False,eClass=eSC_None,bHasPsiGift=False)

Edited by gukov