⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Finding the first step?

NephilimNexus

Hi there, I've added a collection of user-found fixes to the tech support forum. May be of interest to you.

Keybinding issues

Enabling Antfarm Zoom

Enabling 1080p movies

Running on XP

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/803971-fixes-from-the-forums-keybinding-issuses-run-on-xp-enable-antfarm-zoom-enable-1080p-movies/

There was a rather sizable patch today on the Steam version (almost 2 gb) that, at the least, enabled antfarm zoom. It may have enabled the movies in 1080p as well.

Edited by sterling191

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so not understanding how to do this. Does anyone have a video so I can follow this. Also, what can you edit that won't break anything. My first attempts to follow this resulted in the .exe not running. Please help. I'm not a coder.

Whatever. Just means we'll need someone to make a 'patcher' program that can automatically replace the resources in the EXE with the modded stuff.

It is easy to replace resource programmaticaly, so such patcher is easy job.

Fantastic, thank you! I will start looking into how to make use of Resource Hacker tonight (never tried it before). If you can share any other beginner hints or tutorial URLs that I can read while at work, I'd be grateful.

You are welcome. Well, you can just follow these steps:

1. Mod DefaultGameCore.ini (it is the same inside exe) to whatever you like.

2. Open XComGame.exe inside Resource Hacker.

3. Find RCdata/1020/1033 in left section.

4. Right click 1033 and select "Replace Resource". You will see a new window.

5. Click button "Open file with new resource...", which you will see on new window.

6. Find file, which you modded before and select it.

7. Now fill three text boxes with such values:

Resource type: RCDATA

Resource name: 1020

Resource language: 1033

8. Click "Replace" button. You should see modded content to the right. If not, then something went wrong.

9. Save file using File -> Save and now game is modded.

My advice would be, if you're not confident fiddling with hex/resource editors and delving in to the executable(s) then don't do it. Wait until someone figures something out, if they can.

I don't think I said I was scared. Just that I tried it but either I'm not understanding it as it's written because I followed it as I understood it and it didn't work. I know I'm doing something wrong just not sure what it is. Steps 4-6 lost me. lol

My advice would be, if you're not confident fiddling with hex/resource editors and delving in to the executable(s) then don't do it. Wait until someone figures something out, if they can.

And agreed. That is totally and completely lame. Why would they do that? It's like they don't want people to mod it, but I fail to understand why.

I'm certain that the reason why is to prevent multiplayer cheating. I'm wiling to speculate that MP is P2P based, as opposed to having a central server setting game parameters. As such, someone could cheat in an MP game by making these various changes. Mass Effect 3 was prone to this.

Here is a way how to mod this game.

Full copy of file "DefaultGameCore.ini" is stored inside executable file ...Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe and game uses it instead of one in folder ...\XComGame\Config\

You need to use resource editor over XComGame.exe in order to modify DefaultGameCore. You need to look inside RCData section for resource 1020, which uses language 1033.

As for test I modified this line:

BalanceMods_Normal=(eType=eChar_Soldier,			iDamage=0, iCritHit=0,iAim=0,iDefense=0,iHP=5, iMobility=0,iWill=0)

Now I have 11 HP for all my soldiers. So such modding approach works, though it is not easy.

I use freeware Resource Hacker for editing resources. First you need to save 1020 resource in plain txt file. Then modify it. Then replace using such parameters:

Type: RCData
Name: 1020
Language: 1033

And finally save file.

I hope it will satisfy your needs for a start.

Fantastic, thank you! I will start looking into how to make use of Resource Hacker tonight (never tried it before). If you can share any other beginner hints or tutorial URLs that I can read while at work, I'd be grateful.

How do you save the 1020 resource in plain txt?

Don't worry about steps 4 to 6, they're only if you want to do an import into the exe. You can edit the values inside the 1020/1033 subset directly using the utility that poster is talking about. Just remember to both compile the script (button at the top of the window) and save. Also goes without saying, but backup your exe before you try tweaking it, that way you have a clean slate to fall back to in case something inevitably goes haywire (don't worry if it does, 80% of modding like this results in breaking stuff, just keep trying).

Don't worry about steps 4 to 6, they're only if you want to do an import into the exe. You can edit the values inside the 1020/1033 subset directly using the utility that poster is talking about. Just remember to both compile the script (button at the top of the window) and save. Also goes without saying, but backup your exe before you try tweaking it, that way you have a clean slate to fall back to in case something inevitably goes haywire (don't worry if it does, 80% of modding like this results in breaking stuff, just keep trying).

You can also delete the exe and then verify integrity of game cache in steam

This cannot happen.

You can only get VAC banned if you do something fishy while running a VAC enabled game. XCOM isn't one.

(Only Valve games and Modern Warfare 2 : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869#vacgames)

True, you will not get VAC banned but editing the .exe file is againt the EULA (yes I actually read it this time(! :) ) which if Firaxis/2k has a call-home function with integrity check will notice. If they decide to take action, they can through Steam. While it seems unlikely they may very well do this if any mods cross over to future DLCs and such.

Point is, it may be wise to consider the ramifications since this certainly is not modding in the traditional way. I finally got the game, and I'm gonna have a go at finding alternate solutions once I've played a bit.

This cannot happen.

You can only get VAC banned if you do something fishy while running a VAC enabled game. XCOM isn't one.

(Only Valve games and Modern Warfare 2 : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869#vacgames)

True, you will not get VAC banned but editing the .exe file is againt the EULA (yes I actually read it this time(! :) ) which if Firaxis/2k has a call-home function with integrity check will notice. If they decide to take action, they can through Steam. While it seems unlikely they may very well do this if any mods cross over to future DLCs and such.

Point is, it may be wise to consider the ramifications since this certainly is not modding in the traditional way. I finally got the game, and I'm gonna have a go at finding alternate solutions once I've played a bit.

Right, everything done is always done at your own risk.

I take precautions... like putting Steam into Offline mode and using the Windows Firewall to block the "call home."

I'm only interested in SP gameplay anyway. Whenever I do try out MP, I'll revert to ensure no troubles from "Big Brother."

I am so not understanding how to do this. Does anyone have a video so I can follow this. Also, what can you edit that won't break anything. My first attempts to follow this resulted in the .exe not running. Please help. I'm not a coder.

Uploaded a tool which should do the patching for you. Its in the Mod Talk forum :)