Finding the first step?

NephilimNexus

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ti be clear, you can make changes to XComGame.exe, then continue a saved game. I tested this by changing the price of new rookies. Note that if you adjust soldier templates, that change will not take effect until you purchase new soldiers. Each soldier generated is xopied from the template, then stored independently in your saved game. Weapon properties should be freely changable. I'm out to dinner, but can run another comprehensive test later to confirm.

Hello, correct me if I'm wrong, but every change you make to the file XComGame.exe forces you to restart with a new campaign in order to make the changes effective.

If as I suspect it is true ... no way to get around this?

I believe only certain settings need a fresh start, like difficulty modifiers and probably soldier/items stats for things that are already in memory. Changes to behavior of UFOs for example can be modified mid-game.

I guess your soldier stats are kept in the save file, so patching the exe has no effect. Maybe it can affect the new recruits ?

EDIT : ninja'd. What Beknatok said.

Edited by PepprmintButler

Hello, correct me if I'm wrong, but every change you make to the file XComGame.exe forces you to restart with a new campaign in order to make the changes effective.

If as I suspect it is true ... no way to get around this?

I believe weapon changes take effect instantly (weapons always reference the values on use) -- i.e. you can change them in a tactical game and see the effect when you reload your save.

Hi Guys, been following your forums with a lot of interest. Managed to get Xcom yesterday, and after playing it for a few hours found many places where I think the game needs modding. So after following what you guys were doing with regard to editing the exe file, I managed to get my soldiers exactly how I wanted them and edited a few weapons etc, BUT - after restarting the game so that the effects can take effect, during the 3rd mission the game always crashes as my 1st soldier completes his task on the 2nd turn

Changes I made were to the willpower stats on the soldiers and increased range on the sniper rifles that's all

Any ideas?

Hi Guys, been following your forums with a lot of interest. Managed to get Xcom yesterday, and after playing it for a few hours found many places where I think the game needs modding. So after following what you guys were doing with regard to editing the exe file, I managed to get my soldiers exactly how I wanted them and edited a few weapons etc, BUT - after restarting the game so that the effects can take effect, during the 3rd mission the game always crashes as my 1st soldier completes his task on the 2nd turn

Changes I made were to the willpower stats on the soldiers and increased range on the sniper rifles that's all

Any ideas?

3rd mission of the tutorial or did you skip the tutorial?

I know someone else here has reported that the game will crash in the tutorial, if you mod your soldier's mobility settings.

Have you tried reverting back to the original settings, loading your saved game, and trying to move past the game crash? You did backup, right?

Using the Rescource Hacker mentioned earlier, in the very first line you will see:

Armors=ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eAP_None,Properties[1]=eAP_None,Properties[2]=eAP_None,Properties[3]=eAP_None,iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar,iHPBonus=2,iDefenseBonus=0,iFlightFuel=0,iWillBonus=0,iLargeItems=1,iSmallItems=1,iMobilityBonus=0)

That's you basic armor, and all the other armors are listed right after it. Just change iSmallItems=1 into iSmallItems=2, like so:

Armors=ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eAP_None,Properties[1]=eAP_None,Properties[2]=eAP_None,Properties[3]=eAP_None,iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar,iHPBonus=2,iDefenseBonus=0,iFlightFuel=0,iWillBonus=0,iLargeItems=1,[b]iSmallItems=2[/b],iMobilityBonus=0)

Ta-da! You can now carry two backpack items. You can even push it up to three and beyond, but GUI problems will arise as it will have trouble showing it all at once.

I figured out the trick to enabling this, for an existing saved game. After making the above adjustments, you have to go to the Loadout Screen and switch armor on each soldier. Even if you can only switch from Kevlar to Kevlar, you have to do it. Once you swap, the 2nd small item slot will appear.

Scopes for all!