Blender Crashes when Trying to Edit Armors

user826

Hey everyone! I'm running into an odd problem on my Windows 10 laptop. Every time I fire up Blender and load up an armor mesh, if I hit A to deselect everything in the scene and then click my mouse on the piece that I want to edit, Blender crashes. This only happens for armors. I can edit skeletons, weapons and objects just fine. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Okay, I'm using the basic recommended setup for New Vegas NIF editing. Blender v2.49b, Python 2.6.6, PyFFI 2.1.11, Nif Scripts v2.5.9.77 and NifSkope v2.0.0 Pre-Alpha 6. I don't know how to make the 32-bit version large address aware, as none of the tutorials I followed back in the day ever told me to do so. I have this same setup running on my Windows 7 desktop machine which I normally use for modding, and it runs flawlessly.

The "2-4GB game memory limits and solutions" article in my signature has a link to a general tool (NTCore) for making programs "large address aware" (LAA). Do note however, that not all programs can successfully be made LAA by such methods. They have to have not been coded and compiled in unusual ways designed to work around the issue. I have no idea if Blender falls into that category.

With Windows 10, you are more likely to be running into an executable that needs to have been added to the "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP) exception list due to it's use of memory. This is now included in Windows Defender Exploit Guard (WDEG).

-Dubious-

Adding the Blender executable to the DEP exception list did nothing to fix the issue. I don't think that was ever the problem though, because Blender runs fine. It's only when I try to edit an armor NIF that it crashes. I'm even able to load up human and creature skeletons and edit them without any issues. But for whatever reason, it won't let me edit armors. Could it be an issue with weighted vertices?

Not that I am aware of, but then I am not a modeller and don't work in Blender. Found an armor mesh crash report in FO4 that indicated you might want to try loading the mesh into NifSkope and check if your original NIF was missing skin instances, but did have skin bone data or extraneous connection points. Skin bone data is supposed to be a child of a skin instance.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article.

-Dubious-