Tinted Goggles

WrathOfDeadguy

Your avatar, the Vault 101 dweller, has been living underground for his/her entire life. There's a blurb or two about protection against sudden exposure to sunlight in the manual, and anyone who's ever gone outside on a sunny day after spending several days inside knows that it can be difficult for eyes to adjust to the brightness. The blurbs in the manual recommends that anyone leaving a Vault should wear protective goggles or shade their eyes- the latter isn't possible, and while there are sunglasses lying around the Vault, those really don't fit the bill for "protective" eyewear. One would expect such things to be stored with the other emergency equipment just in case the Vault ever had to be evacuated, but- alas- they aren't in evidence.

Now, my character has been running around wearing a pair of Biker Goggles she found (because all that dust and stuff blowing around out in the wastes really stings when it gets in her eyes). Those look a lot more like the over-engineered safety goggles I had in mind- in fact, they closely resemble the protective eyewear issued to observers at US nuclear bomb tests (which would fit perfectly in the Fallout world and look ridiculously awesome), with the exception of their being perfectly clear (and inconveniently not available when first leaving the Vault).

What I'd like to see is:

A- A texture replacement for the standard Biker Goggles which gives them tinted lenses (not opaque, just dark). Not a perfect solution, but with the item's spawn code it isn't *too* much trouble to get a pair before venturing out the 'ol blast door. I'm going to do this, but I figured I'd toss the idea out there just in case anybody else wanted to take a crack at it as I probably won't get around to it for a while. I'm sure I can't be the only one who wants a pair of super-cool retro tinted goggles!

B (once there's a working CS)- An actual "Protective Goggles" item, with tinted lenses but using the Biker Goggles model, placed somewhere on the way to the exit in Vault 101 (maybe in Dad's dresser, on Jonas' body, or in a container near the door).

Just think- you could wear them while lobbing Fat Man shells around, reactivating *certain* unexploded ordinance (shame on you), or even while chasing after bomb-tossing robots... all without putting your valuable eyes at risk from the flash damage usually associated with nuclear detonations! Surely these would be mandatory apparel for any savvy Vault-Dweller venturing out into the Wasteland.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived