⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Detecting Magic Cast

Yeap, it can be a disease or an "Ability" that will work like the standing stones.

The application is the same, the only requirement is to be a constant effect :

- Create a "Magic Effect" that will have the "Curse" script.

- Create a "Spell"

- Then Add and Remove the spell (disease or ability) when ever you want.

* I had a script doing exactly that, but i removed it about 8 mounth ago and didn't keep a back up of it, now i've change my mind and i'll add it again.

If you haven't manage to find a solution until i get to the point of re-doing it, i'll post it when i get to create it.

Sorry but i've told myself to not make any scripts on the go again, they cause more problems than solve them...

* This is not the only approach you can take to materialize your idea.

Edited by maxarturo

Give him an "Active Effect" that will work as a "Curse", it will detect the spell cast animation and damage X% of the player's magicka every time.
This a more realistic approach and you can easily add and remove the "Curse" where ever / when ever you want.

Oh you wound me so.

Give him an "Active Effect" that will work as a "Curse", it will detect the spell cast animation and damage X% of the player's magicka every time.
This a more realistic approach and you can easily add and remove the "Curse" where ever / when ever you want.

Oh you wound me so.

Ohhhh... wrong choice of words ! Sorry !.
"This a more realistic approach" - i didn't mean it compared to your suggestion.
I was actually referring to antstubell post saying :
"I am considering another approach using setactorvalue in a script so that magicka is set to 00000 until... whenever"
Once again sorry for my poor choice of words !.
Edited by maxarturo

Well so far I'm just using a simple script that adds a spell/ability silently that damages magicka by 9999. As said, this can easily be removed when and if required. Now something I overlooked in order to make player completely powerless. Shouts. Ideas on this please?

If you do not mind preventing the player from having any fighting control, you can use DisablePlayerControls and disable the player's fighting controls. That would surely stop spell and shout usage but it would probably also prevent the player from using weapons as well. Just make sure to enable the controls again with EnablePlayerControls.

You can remove a shout, but there is the same problem as setting magicka to 0.

How would you know what shouts has the player unlocked to add them again ?, remember that "walls of power" will only give once every word, so you can only acquire each shout once in game. Plus there are the custom made shouts from other mods.

Unfortunately "shouts" don't use AV, so you can't directly affect them in any way (you can, but here is where modder's innovation ability comes in).

Or how much magicka points in total the player has ?, each player has a different amount of magicka, by setting it to 0 how would you restore it without knowing the magicka cap that each player had ?. The "restoreAV()" works only if you know the player's/actor's initial AV.

I think you haven't thought about this thoroughly...

All of those can be checked with papyrus, some with SKSE. In the case of determining max value without SKSE, you can use math to get a very close approximation.

Edit: Shouts can be iterated through with an array or formlist. Also, the player being able to shout in the first place is from a perk entry called Mod Shout.

Edited by Rasikko

All of those can be checked with papyrus, some with SKSE. In the case of determining max value without SKSE, you can use math to get a very close approximation.

Edit: Shouts can be iterated through with an array or formlist. Also, the player being able to shout in the first place is from a perk entry called Mod Shout.

So then, removing the perk would it do the trick ?, setting the player incapable of using shouts which is what antstubell is trying to achieve.
My initial idea was way more complicated, but it was just an idea that i never had really implemented it, that's why i didn't wrote it.