Modpatcher

dreadylein

hey, i've been following the xcom mods for a bit now (also new here. hi everyone) and i noticed when i started up the game today that my small armor slots that i added stayed unless i equipped new armor. but my satellite build time was still 10 days and the costs of certain items were still lowered. BUT! the moment i switched armors, it went back to the original small items slot in game with only 1 slot. any ideas anyone?

Did you start Steam in offline mode?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you start Steam in offline mode?

yeah, and the armor mods (along with everything else) work in offline mode. but the mods i have that are not armor mods work in online mode. which...is slightly annoying since i like steam so i can chat with my buddies playing games..

I can't seem to add the line to my hosts file. Even though my account has administrator rights, and is the only user account other than the administrator account itself, says my access is denied when I try to save the file.

Right click Notepad.exe > Run as administrator

Then open the hosts file :)

It's starting to sound like changes to the strategic layer (sat build times, new game soldier health) are working, while changes to the tactical layer (weapon properties, armor properties) are not.

If Firaxis is worried about multiplayer cheating, this would make a lot of sense. In fact I even remember an interview with someone from 2K or Firaxis implying that they had the capability to rebalance multiplayer without even releasing a patch. The only way to do that would be for an existing phone-home mechanism to override the INI settings with new values provided by the phone-home server, and that appears to be exactly what's happening here.

Has anyone ever tested whether our mods (used to) affect multiplayer as well as singleplayer? If so, then we were technically developing multiplayer cheats, even though obviously none of us had any intention of using them outside of single player. That in turn would explain why Firaxis is trying to put a stop to it.

you know, i was wondering the exact same thing, although i never tested it because...i don't like to cheat in multiplayer. but in one of the binaries, specifically: rcdata>1030>1033 you can actually mod the values and costs of each piece of equipment. the problem is that i am too much of a nice guy to have tested that out. but i don't like the idea of being locked out of sp mods just because they made the mp file so easy to fudge up/cheat. can't they just implement a program on their end that says hey, this guy's mp values don't = ours. so then they could kick them until it matches? and then sp wouldn't matter at all since it's...sp...

yeah, and the armor mods (along with everything else) work in offline mode. but the mods i have that are not armor mods work in online mode. which...is slightly annoying since i like steam so i can chat with my buddies playing games..

You need to run all mods in Steam offline mode, otherwise bad things could potentially happen.

You can also block the game from accessing the internet, if you know how to do that kind of stuff.

Edited by BlackAlpha