Modpatcher

dreadylein

So, I've now used the downloaded hosts file, and when I try to use a mod, I get the "Completing Installation" pop up from steam, it goes to 100%, then the mod is gone. If I put Steam in offline mode, I get the same pop up, but it stays at 0% until I cancel it. Any ideas on how I can get a mod to work?

You have a different issue. Steam thinks your game is corrupt. See the following topic for the solution:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/811994-modpatcher-balance-mods-not-being-allowed-by-steam/

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've now used the downloaded hosts file, and when I try to use a mod, I get the "Completing Installation" pop up from steam, it goes to 100%, then the mod is gone. If I put Steam in offline mode, I get the same pop up, but it stays at 0% until I cancel it. Any ideas on how I can get a mod to work?

The way that seems to fix it with the least amount of downloading required is to delete any backed-up and modified exes in the Binaries directory, then verify the game cache. After it redownloads the exe, and any other files that have been modded or removed(Usually the intro logos, in my case at least) run the game once so Steam can verify that it's indeed X-Com, and that it doesn't need to do anything else. Now apply your patch, run the game, and it should work fine, as long as the hosts thing is also fixed on your end.

Thanks for this patcher! Makes changing data so much easier.

Is it also possible to patch with DefaultLoadouts.ini?

I tried it with “modpatcher DefaultLoadouts.mod” but the exe won’t load then. DefaultGameCore.mod patches work fine.

I still have to do these loadout changes manually with ResEdit, but that isn’t that user-friendly of course.

I've also attached a copy of the host file with only these lines in it. You can use it if you didn't already have a hosts file with your own stuff in it.

My host file looks exactly like yours, even replaced it with yours, but it still doesn't block it. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, just blocked xcom in firewall

Edited by MordredAlixander

If you find a bug let me know, its a dirty way but it should work for now.

Can you please make a steampath check optional. It makes steampath error pop-up appearing every time the path is not found if the game is installed in non-default location.

If you are making changes just for your personal use, I find it much easier to do this : download "Resource Hacker"(use google), Run it on XcomGame.exe, click RCDATA, click 1020, Edit 1033 and save. If you want to distribute remember of write down your changes then just edit (it will contain exactly the same information) "DefaultGameCore.mod", and post. DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL. It will make testing faster for me at least. Good luck, I am still playing with it to get a good balance that suits me. Oh yes and don't forget the well documented INI tricks too. I keep this open, try my changes, and edit very quickly. Happy modding. Edited by tsanford01